Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing loose taps

I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and
have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. Previously the
pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic
nuts this just don't happen !!

What can the collective advise please - the trouble is that the family
use this as an excuse for failing to turn the taps off properly, and I
really need to do something about them (um.. the taps, not the
family!).

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 9:36*am, robgraham wrote:
I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and
have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. *Previously the
pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic
nuts this just don't happen !!

What can the collective advise please - the trouble is that the family
use this as an excuse for failing to turn the taps off properly, and I
really need to do something about them (um.. the taps, not the
family!).

Thanks
Rob

You need to get the tap back-nut really tight. I found a deep socket
to fit mine - box spanners would be cheaper, but whatever you use,
it's essential to really wind those nuts down hard - as hard as you
dare go with plastic nuts (or find brass replacements).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and
have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. Previously the
pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic
nuts this just don't happen !!

What can the collective advise please - the trouble is that the family
use this as an excuse for failing to turn the taps off properly, and I
really need to do something about them (um.. the taps, not the
family!).

Thanks
Rob

Very common problem. This is why I refuse to use flexible connectors or
plastic pipe.

I'd have a go at gluing them - use something like a decent polyurethane
glue, and maybe brass back nuts if the originals are plastic.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Nov 19, 9:36 am, robgraham wrote:
I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and
have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. Previously the
pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic
nuts this just don't happen !!

What can the collective advise please - the trouble is that the family
use this as an excuse for failing to turn the taps off properly, and I
really need to do something about them (um.. the taps, not the
family!).

Thanks
Rob

You need to get the tap back-nut really tight. I found a deep socket
to fit mine - box spanners would be cheaper, but whatever you use,
it's essential to really wind those nuts down hard - as hard as you
dare go with plastic nuts (or find brass replacements).

Put some plastic "1/2 inch top hat washers" between the nut and the basin
and then tighten up with
a proper basin spanner which is cranked and does the job easily.
Get the "top hat washers" from a plumbers merchant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 10:53*am, "A Plumber" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I found these better than tophat washers:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/34550/...her-Pack-of-10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 10:41*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *robgraham wrote:

[...]

Many thanks guys - looking these top hat washers up on Screwfix, I see
there are also tap "polywashers"; should I get these also; I guess
they fit on the top side of the basin/bath ?
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and
have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. Previously the
pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic
nuts this just don't happen !!

Plastic back nuts are as much use as a back pocket in a sock.

Get some brass ones
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2697/p86667

They do them in 1/2" & 3/4". Do them up with one of these;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd210/p43996

Total cost so far £6.77. Find something else for £3.23 & get free delivery.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

very expensive though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and
have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. Previously the
pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic
nuts this just don't happen !!

Plastic back nuts are as much use as a back pocket in a sock.

Get some brass ones
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2697/p86667

They do them in 1/2" & 3/4". Do them up with one of these;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd210/p43996

Total cost so far £6.77. Find something else for £3.23 & get free
delivery.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Fill the space around the tap and the hole in the ceramic with silicone. It
will prevent that initial movement from whence it all goes downhill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 19, 7:02*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidno-spam-
wrote:
robgraham wrote:
I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and
have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. *Previously the
pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic
nuts this just don't happen !!

Plastic back nuts are as much use as a back pocket in a sock.

Get some brass oneshttp://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Compression/Brass+Flanged+Ba...

They do them in 1/2" & 3/4". *Do them up with one of these;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...ls/Tap+Backnut...

Total cost so far 6.77. *Find something else for 3.23 & get free delivery.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I'm sufficiently old that these box spanners were the vogue when I was
a kid; it's always possible that I still have the right ones kicking
around still. I think I've got brass nuts around too.

Thanks Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham
saying something like:

I fitted new taps to the bathroom basin and bath a wee while back and
have singularly failed to get them to be 'unmoveable'. Previously the
pipe would hold the tap but now with flexible couplings and plastic
nuts this just don't happen !!

What can the collective advise please - the trouble is that the family
use this as an excuse for failing to turn the taps off properly, and I
really need to do something about them (um.. the taps, not the
family!).

Fill the gap 'tween tap and basin hole with silicone and tighten nut.
Avoid moving it too much during connection and leave for a few hours to
set off. Essentially, you've created a rubber fillet in the basin 'ole
which will last for years.
Btw, plastic backnuts are total **** - get brass ones if you can find
them locally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:44:22 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[...]

One use for the solid plastic back nuts (not the hollow type): remove the
threads to get snug clearance, slide on 'upside down' from underneath and
the hexagon is (usually) a neat fit in the hole in the basin and the flange
forms a good hard washer. No movement and the proper brass nut can be
tightened firmly.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away