Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing loose door frame

I have a door frame that has come loose in the surrounding brickwork.
I am hoping it is possible to drill a smallish through the frame and
then into the brickwork, insert a thin wall plug type fixing which I
can then screw an ordinary screw into and hold the frame firm. Does
such a narrow plastic wall fixing exist? I seem to remember having
something like that in the dim and distant past but have had no
success googling for it. Any suggestions?

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keefiedee" wrote in message
I have a door frame that has come loose in the surrounding brickwork.
I am hoping it is possible to drill a smallish through the frame and
then into the brickwork, insert a thin wall plug type fixing which I
can then screw an ordinary screw into and hold the frame firm. Does
such a narrow plastic wall fixing exist? I seem to remember having
something like that in the dim and distant past but have had no
success googling for it. Any suggestions?

Keith

Sounds like you want frame fixings

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101150/.../Frame-Fixings

Or something like these

(I'm sure you can get smaller packs)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Multi Montis are brilliant (I'd forgotten they came with countersunk heads
now). You do need to drill the right sized hole in the brick, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Sep, 14:40, Keefiedee wrote:
I have a door frame that has come loose in the surrounding brickwork.
I am hoping it is possible to drill a smallish through the frame and
then into the brickwork, insert a thin wall plug type fixing which I
can then screw an ordinary screw into and hold the frame firm. *Does
such a narrow plastic wall fixing exist? I seem to remember having
something like that in the dim and distant past but have had no
success googling for it. *Any suggestions?

Keith

Don't bother. Use a long multimonti.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2010 14:40, Keefiedee wrote:
I have a door frame that has come loose in the surrounding brickwork.
I am hoping it is possible to drill a smallish through the frame and
then into the brickwork, insert a thin wall plug type fixing which I
can then screw an ordinary screw into and hold the frame firm. Does
such a narrow plastic wall fixing exist? I seem to remember having
something like that in the dim and distant past but have had no
success googling for it. Any suggestions?

Keith

As others have suggested, a direct-to-brickwork screw which needs no
plug is probably the way to go.

.. . unless the gap is big enough and accessible enough to inject a
generous quantity of Gripfill into it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Keefiedee writes
I have a door frame that has come loose in the surrounding brickwork.
I am hoping it is possible to drill a smallish through the frame and
then into the brickwork, insert a thin wall plug type fixing which I
can then screw an ordinary screw into and hold the frame firm. Does
such a narrow plastic wall fixing exist? I seem to remember having
something like that in the dim and distant past but have had no
success googling for it. Any suggestions?

Plenty of advice on fixings from other responders, just watch out for
overtightening of the fixings, it's very easy to pull the frame out so
that the door becomes a sloppy fit. If there's any hint of this
happening then it's time to strip off the architrave on one side (that's
inside or outside, not left or right) and put packers between the
brickwork near the fixings to keep the frame spacing right..
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 15:14:52 +0100, newshound wrote:

Multi Montis are brilliant

I wonder what they'll be like after being installed for 5, 10, 15
years and you want to get 'em out again? It doesn't take much
corrosion to stick something metal *very* firmly into masonary(*).
And don't say they are coated, yes, but will that coating survive the
thread cutting?

(*) Some one has used a big nailgun on a few things in this place. 3"
1/8" dia or so nails into concrete. Will they come out, will they F.
I've managed to get one or two out (more less having to dig the
concrete away) and they have been only very mildly corroded.

Plastic plug has enough "give" to take up the expansion from
corrosion and doesn't stick in the same way as masonary does.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(*) Some one has used a big nailgun on a few things in this place. 3"
1/8" dia or so nails into concrete. Will they come out, will they F.

If they're Hilti nails, that's what I'd expect - that is after all
what they're meant to do, *securely* fix to concrete and steel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 15:14:52 +0100, newshound wrote:

Multi Montis are brilliant

I wonder what they'll be like after being installed for 5, 10, 15
years and you want to get 'em out again? It doesn't take much
corrosion to stick something metal *very* firmly into masonary(*).
And don't say they are coated, yes, but will that coating survive the
thread cutting?

I've taken some out without any problem after two or three years outdoors
(trellis support). Not much corrosion, from recollection. I have some
recycled ones in my toolbox and these have no corrosion at all (they were
bolting something down to the slab inside some wooden stables, relatively
dry but presumably no DPC)