Sam Nelson

Default Fixing a loose coping stone

About three years ago, a local builder put some slabs of sawn sandstone
along the top of a garden wall for me. At one end, where the wall
slopes down at about 20deg, the last slab (about 1m x 0.5m x 40mm) has
come loose. Some day soon, it's just going to slide off, I should
think, especially now the weather can get under it. Can anyone suggest
a method I could use to put it back and secure it there for myself, or
should I just give in and have the builder back for another shot at it?
Would it do any good to acquire a fairly large quantity of some sort of
adhesive, or is that a stupid idea?

Thanks for any hints,
--
SAm.
david lang

Sam Nelson wrote:
About three years ago, a local builder put some slabs of sawn
sandstone along the top of a garden wall for me. At one end, where
the wall slopes down at about 20deg, the last slab (about 1m x 0.5m x
40mm) has come loose.

Get a bag of brick laying mortar and a trowel. Follow instructions on bag,
remove old motar first.

Dave

80/20

"david lang" wrote in message
Sam Nelson wrote:
About three years ago, a local builder put some slabs of sawn
sandstone along the top of a garden wall for me. At one end, where
the wall slopes down at about 20deg, the last slab (about 1m x 0.5m x
40mm) has come loose.

Get a bag of brick laying mortar and a trowel. Follow instructions on

bag,
remove old motar first.

Dave

Done just that - bag of mortar £3.50 - trowel £1.50 from Do It All.
20 minutes work yesterday and coping stone taken off, cleaned and
repositioned.

Bag says do not overwet the mix - heed the words and you will have a fine
job.

Steve

Sam Nelson

In article ,
"80/20" writes:
"david lang" wrote in message
Sam Nelson wrote:
About three years ago, a local builder put some slabs of sawn
sandstone along the top of a garden wall for me. At one end, where
the wall slopes down at about 20deg, the last slab (about 1m x 0.5m x
40mm) has come loose.

Get a bag of brick laying mortar and a trowel. Follow instructions on
bag, remove old motar first.

Done just that - bag of mortar 3.50 - trowel 1.50 from Do It All.
20 minutes work yesterday and coping stone taken off, cleaned and
repositioned.

Bag says do not overwet the mix - heed the words and you will have a fine
job.

Does that mean I can expect to have to do this about every three years or so,
or does the time the original job has lasted here suggest that it was poorly
done? The builder did about 56m of wall for me, in total, and the rest of it
still looks as-new.
--
SAm.