Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default Totally on topic: Lego has done so much damage

On Nov 13, 3:18*pm, J G Miller wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:18:38 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:
Nowadays there'd be concerns about the carpet, but they weren't in
common use in those days.

With the greater prevalence of central heating and the now considerable
expense of carpets, and the time and trouble of using a vacuum cleaner,
more and more homes are tending towards wooden laminate flooring in the
living area.

Fitted carpet is a health hazard, it contains dust etc, and helps
cause asthma. Hard floors are much healthier.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"alexander.keys1" wrote in message
On Nov 13, 3:18 pm, J G Miller wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:18:38 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:
Nowadays there'd be concerns about the carpet, but they weren't in
common use in those days.

With the greater prevalence of central heating and the now considerable
expense of carpets, and the time and trouble of using a vacuum cleaner,
more and more homes are tending towards wooden laminate flooring in the
living area.

Fitted carpet is a health hazard, it contains dust etc, and helps
cause asthma. Hard floors are much healthier.

I think you mean that people with asthma might get an attack.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Max Demian
writes
"alexander.keys1" wrote in message
On Nov 13, 3:18 pm, J G Miller wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:18:38 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:
Nowadays there'd be concerns about the carpet, but they weren't in
common use in those days.

With the greater prevalence of central heating and the now considerable
expense of carpets, and the time and trouble of using a vacuum cleaner,
more and more homes are tending towards wooden laminate flooring in the
living area.

Fitted carpet is a health hazard, it contains dust etc, and helps
cause asthma. Hard floors are much healthier.

I think you mean that people with asthma might get an attack.

But, if you trip over, hitting a hard floor damages you more!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "alexander.keys1"
saying something like:

Fitted carpet is a health hazard, it contains dust etc, and helps
cause asthma. Hard floors are much healthier.

That may be so, now.
However, the trend towards naked and polished floorboards started way
back when the middle classes were rooking themselves paying mortgages
and could barely afford to buy furniture, never mind carpets.
Simply turned a necessity into a 'design feature'.

Ooh, isn't it lovely...

In my book, a floor without a carpet is a joke.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 1:20 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember "alexander.keys1"
saying something like:

Fitted carpet is a health hazard, it contains dust etc, and helps
cause asthma. Hard floors are much healthier.

That may be so, now.
However, the trend towards naked and polished floorboards started way
back when the middle classes were rooking themselves paying mortgages
and could barely afford to buy furniture, never mind carpets.
Simply turned a necessity into a 'design feature'.

Ooh, isn't it lovely...

In my book, a floor without a carpet is a joke.

I can walk into my house with my gumboots on after a hard day's work.
If I had carpet downstairs it would be harder to clean.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article
,
alexander.keys1 wrote:

Fitted carpet is a health hazard, it contains dust etc, and helps cause
asthma. Hard floors are much healthier.

But may well ruin the acoustics. Still, may help promote the sales of
headphones. :-)

You've reminded me of something I say in a TV prog a few years ago. I think
it was one of the ones on 'building your own house' for those with more
money than sense.

It showed the proud owners of a fancy new home they'd had designed to their
taste. Bare floors and walls. minimal and trendy. With a 'fitted' audio
system they thought was state of the art.

Pair of Quad ESL63s *up against the walls*.

Thus committing two audio bloopers in one go. Nice equipment, but no sign
of any idea how to get it to deliver decent sound that matched its
capability. Might as well have used Bose vented plastic shoeboxes. :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

I can walk into my house with my gumboots on after a hard day's work.

So can many farmers, but it doesn't stop them getting a clip around the
ear from the missus.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "alexander.keys1"
saying something like:

Fitted carpet is a health hazard, it contains dust etc, and helps
cause asthma. Hard floors are much healthier.

That may be so, now.
However, the trend towards naked and polished floorboards started way
back when the middle classes were rooking themselves paying mortgages
and could barely afford to buy furniture, never mind carpets.
Simply turned a necessity into a 'design feature'.

Ooh, isn't it lovely...

In my book, a floor without a carpet is a joke.

You'd be laughing yourself silly in our house then!

First thing I did on moving in was rip out all the stinking carpets from 6
deerhounds and a ****ing cat that used to live here.
Since then as we've renovated we've put tiles, lino, stained boards or
Karndean downstairs instead, although a nice bit of woolen carpet is
resident in the lounge (for lounging on in front of the fire.)

It's made a huge difference to cleaning up after people have wandered in
with dirty shoes on - although IME country dwellers are much better at
removing their shoes inside your home than urban dwellers.

We have put carpets back in the bedrooms though - it was just too cold at
night when answering a call of nature!

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor D wrote:
We have put carpets back in the bedrooms though - it was just too cold
at night when answering a call of nature!

Thought only the deerhounds and cats used the carpet for that?

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:55:22 +0000, Doctor D wrote:

it was just too cold at night when answering a call of nature!

The Japanese have developed a solution which would resolve this problem --

http://www.wunderland.COM/WTS/Rash/words/04japan/closeup/slippers.htm

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/10 18:55, Doctor D wrote:

We have put carpets back in the bedrooms though - it was just too cold
at night when answering a call of nature!

I've found that our wooden floors on top of 12mm marmox and bathroom
tiles on top of 20mm marmox are extremely comfortable at night even in
winder when the kitchen floor (tiles on concrete on earth) will free the
marrow out of your bones.

No way on this side of hell will I ever have carpet again - except maybe
on the stairs, but that's a concession to a) it hurts less slipping and
bouncing down carpeted stairs, b) they were carpeted in a strip and the
ends of the treads painted, so short of painting then all or doing a
painful stripping job, not sure how I can make them presentable...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

The boy's having a ****, but what's the girl doing?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message

The boy's having a ****, but what's the girl doing?

Powdering her nose.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:41:46 +0000, Huge wrote:

Juggling flowers, apparently.

Or possibly artistic licence for "picking flowers".

Other designs are of course available.

http://farm2.static.flickr.COM/1039/1090985291_feb183e828.jpg

It does seem a little strange that they are all labeled in English
rather than in Kanji.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 2010-11-14, Max Demian wrote:
"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:55:22 +0000, Doctor D wrote:

it was just too cold at night when answering a call of nature!

The Japanese have developed a solution which would resolve this
problem --

http://www.wunderland.COM/WTS/Rash/w...japan/closeup/

slippers.htm

The boy's having a ****, but what's the girl doing?

Juggling flowers, apparently.

Powdering her face? Although I prefer your explanation!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 2010-11-14, Max Demian wrote:
"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:55:22 +0000, Doctor D wrote:

it was just too cold at night when answering a call of nature!

The Japanese have developed a solution which would resolve this
problem --

http://www.wunderland.COM/WTS/Rash/w...japan/closeup/

slippers.htm

The boy's having a ****, but what's the girl doing?

Juggling flowers, apparently.

Trying to levitate pieces of cauliflower into an accurate model of the
solar system?

Totally Off Topic Unbeliever[_2_] UK diy 11 November 11th 10 05:54 PM
totally off topic Dave UK diy 12 August 3rd 10 06:52 PM
totally off topic Dave UK diy 21 May 10th 10 05:08 PM
TOTALLY Off Topic Leon Woodworking 10 August 12th 08 01:11 AM
Totally off topic Dave UK diy 52 June 12th 06 10:12 PM