Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how much floor slope can you have without noticing it?

In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. My
guess is about 0.5 % (5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

thanks,

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 07:59:26 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. My
guess is about 0.5 % (5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

thanks,

Robert

My builder left the loft conversion floor with a slope of ~20mm over a
span of 4.5m. This was so noticeable that I took the trouble to fix
it.

You will not believe how much effort that took!

Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/10 14:59, RobertL wrote:
In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. My
guess is about 0.5 % (5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

thanks,

Robert

I have around 10mm over 1.5m between two rooms down a passage past the
stairs. I cannot detect it even knowing it is there.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/11/10 14:59, RobertL wrote:
In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. My
guess is about 0.5 % (5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

thanks,

Robert

I have around 10mm over 1.5m between two rooms down a passage past the
stairs. I cannot detect it even knowing it is there.

That is about the same slope as in my hallway. Last night after a very good
bonfire and lots of alcohol the girlriends father fell over in the hallway
and he is blaming slope on the floor.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2010 14:59, RobertL wrote:
In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. My
guess is about 0.5 % (5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

There's no answer to that because it's subjective. A better question
would be "I'd like to put in a slope of X - would that be noticeable?"

My gut feeling is that I think you'd get away with a bit more than 0.5%

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/10 15:40, Lobster wrote:
On 06/11/2010 14:59, RobertL wrote:
In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. My
guess is about 0.5 % (5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

There's no answer to that because it's subjective. A better question
would be "I'd like to put in a slope of X - would that be noticeable?"

My gut feeling is that I think you'd get away with a bit more than 0.5%

David

Unless the slope is gratuitous (am think Devon cottage) IME minor slopes
aren't noticeable (unless you play marbles) - what is noticeable are bumps.

My kitchen was 1.5" out over 5m. If it had been planar, I would have
saved myself a lot of trouble and left it. It wasn't, it had 1" bumps
over 2' which you could feel with your feet, hence spending a lot of
time and effort flattening (and levelling) it.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 2:59*pm, RobertL wrote:
In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. *The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. *My
guess is about 0.5 % *(5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

thanks,

Robert

In days of yore many houses were built with slopes on the (stone
paved) floor, towards the door. This was so the floor could be
sluiced down and the water swept out of the door, a system that works
well. I have owned a few such places and one soon gets used to it
(along with strange steps and stairways. The slope was often a lot
more than you are proposing.
However people unused to it go falling about the place, we are all so
accustomed to walking about on flat and level surfaces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

We have a short bit of passageway that drops almost 2" over 18" (I can
convert that to metric for you if you want). It's been like since the house
was built 60 years ago, I guess. It's not an issue, and nobody has fallen
there in the last 12 years since we have been in the house.

Based on that, I'd be tempted to put the whole of your 2cm drop over the
first foot or two as you enter the room and have the rest level. Otherwise,
you'll have problems with kitchen units and worktops which will never be
square to a sloping floor - I think the worktop needs to be horizontal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/10 16:57, GB wrote:
We have a short bit of passageway that drops almost 2" over 18" (I can
convert that to metric for you if you want). It's been like since the house
was built 60 years ago, I guess. It's not an issue, and nobody has fallen
there in the last 12 years since we have been in the house.

Based on that, I'd be tempted to put the whole of your 2cm drop over the
first foot or two as you enter the room and have the rest level. Otherwise,
you'll have problems with kitchen units and worktops which will never be
square to a sloping floor - I think the worktop needs to be horizontal.

Units usually have adjustable feet - you'd only need to trim the
kickboard. But you have a point appliances - many are adjustable,
not all are.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 3:59 am, RobertL wrote:
In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. My
guess is about 0.5 % (5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

When I bought my house, the centre was supported by the fireplace
foundations and the outside of the house had sunk all around. A 4
metre room was 600mm lower at one end than the other. That was really
hard to walk in!
The doors had diagonals cut off the top and bottom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message

In order to get a bit more door height in my planned extension I'd
like to put a small downward slope on the floor. The floor is 4
metres long.

How much slope can you put on a floor without people noticing it. My
guess is about 0.5 % (5mm in a metre).

Does anyone know what is the maximum slope that is not noticable?

thanks,

Robert

Due to my overusage of sand as a levelling compound under Celotex floor
insulation, and the way that I packed the centre of the floor space, there
is a slightly raised area down the middle of the length of the garage. I
guess it is probably about 7-8mm raised at the centre of a 2.4m span. It's
not noticeable in everyday use. It worried the hell out of me when I was
fitting skirtings etc - but once carpet etc was laid, it looked fine, and is
not noticeable.

the loft conversion that Brian fixed - I wonder if that was also because
upon entering the loft from the floor below, the slope was more noticeable,
and hence 'felt' more noticeable when standing on it?

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

On 06/11/10 16:57, GB wrote:
We have a short bit of passageway that drops almost 2" over 18" (I can
convert that to metric for you if you want). It's been like since the
house
was built 60 years ago, I guess. It's not an issue, and nobody has fallen
there in the last 12 years since we have been in the house.

Based on that, I'd be tempted to put the whole of your 2cm drop over the
first foot or two as you enter the room and have the rest level.
Otherwise,
you'll have problems with kitchen units and worktops which will never be
square to a sloping floor - I think the worktop needs to be horizontal.

Units usually have adjustable feet - you'd only need to trim the
kickboard. But you have a point appliances - many are adjustable, not
all are.

Tim Watts

Agreed - I fitted kitchen units and worktop across the 2.4m span of the
converted garage (which was raised by 7-8mm in the centre. The units all had
adjustable feet, so it was no issue. Biggest problem I had was an untrue
wall, where the plasterboard came out about 20mm more at one side than the
other.

Regarding the worktop - if it's sitting on cupboards, then that is taken
care of by the unit feet - and if not, then you will just be cutting
legs/end panels to the correct length - and battening to the wall at the
correct height, so not an issue.

Hadn't thought about problems with appliances - but surely at the end of the
day, some wooden packing, or some of those plastic coloured shims would do
the job?

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you all for your help with this. In fact my roof is 8m long
with the kithcen units on the first 4m and the slope will be ion teh
second 4m leading to the outside doors. The other possibklity is to
simply put in a step half way, which might also help tp make it look
less long.

thanks again,

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to briandotdrury, Mihai wrote:
m over 1

I think you mean 200mm or 20cm at 4.5m to be noticeable. you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...it-666790-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 04:44, Mihai wrote:
you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

You can.

Especially if s a hard smooth floor and you drop a ball on it, or spill
a liquid..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 December 2016 02:44:03 UTC, Mihai wrote:
replying to briandotdrury, Mihai wrote:
m over 1

I think you mean 200mm or 20cm at 4.5m to be noticeable. you can't possible

Replying to seven year old posts ??????
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/12/16 04:44, Mihai wrote:
you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

You can.

Especially if s a hard smooth floor and you drop a ball on it, or spill
a liquid..

Why not stick to sensible posts like this, rather than trying to be funny?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message news

On 26/12/16 04:44, Mihai wrote:
you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

You can.

Especially if s a hard smooth floor and you drop a ball on it, or spill
a liquid..

Why not stick to sensible posts like this, rather than trying to be funny?

Why not STFU and stop trying to be superior?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 26/12/16 04:44, Mihai wrote:
you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

You can.

Especially if s a hard smooth floor and you drop a ball on it, or spill
a liquid..

Why not stick to sensible posts like this, rather than trying to be funny?

Because he was ****ed, and is getting even more bitter and twisted every
month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 11:38, GB wrote:
On 26/12/16 04:44, Mihai wrote:
you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

You can.

Especially if s a hard smooth floor and you drop a ball on it, or spill
a liquid..

Why not stick to sensible posts like this, rather than trying to be funny?

Because Lefty****s have to take a moral position on EVERYTHING.

Assad Wrong, Putin Wrong, therefore Isis Right, therefire exploding
russian plane good.

TNP wrong therefore any post from TNP immoral. Especially when it
caricatures Left position.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/12/16 11:38, GB wrote:
On 26/12/16 04:44, Mihai wrote:
you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

You can.

Especially if s a hard smooth floor and you drop a ball on it, or spill
a liquid..

Why not stick to sensible posts like this, rather than trying to be
funny?

Because Lefty****s have to take a moral position on EVERYTHING.

Assad Wrong, Putin Wrong, therefore Isis Right, therefire exploding
russian plane good.

TNP wrong therefore any post from TNP immoral. Especially when it
caricatures Left position.

I didn't see anything immoral about your post quoted above.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message news
On 26/12/16 04:44, Mihai wrote:
you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

You can.

Especially if s a hard smooth floor and you drop a ball on it, or spill
a liquid..

Why not stick to sensible posts like this, rather than trying to be funny?

How is his answer "sensible" ?

Any fool can tell if a floor is sloping by dropping a ball on it or spilling a
liquid, just as they could by using a spirit level.

The question being posed all those years ago is how much it
would have to slope for you to notice it without the aid of tools
or apparatus of any kind;either deliberately or by accident.

I rather suspect that you've rather underestimated the stupidity
of the person you responded to in this particular instance.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/12/2016 14:04, Moron Watch wrote:

Any fool can tell if a floor is sloping by dropping a ball on it or spilling a
liquid, just as they could by using a spirit level.

The question being posed all those years ago is how much it
would have to slope for you to notice it without the aid of tools
or apparatus of any kind;either deliberately or by accident.

I genuinely think that 2cm in 4m would be noticeable. Maybe not just
walking along it, but when you put a run of kitchen units or a wardrobe
on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 14:04, Moron Watch wrote:
"GB" wrote in message news
On 26/12/16 04:44, Mihai wrote:
you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

You can.

Especially if s a hard smooth floor and you drop a ball on it, or spill
a liquid..

Why not stick to sensible posts like this, rather than trying to be funny?

How is his answer "sensible" ?

Any fool can tell if a floor is sloping by dropping a ball on it or spilling a
liquid, just as they could by using a spirit level.

The question being posed all those years ago is how much it
would have to slope for you to notice it without the aid of tools
or apparatus of any kind;either deliberately or by accident.

I rather suspect that you've rather underestimated the stupidity
of the person you responded to in this particular instance.

HTH

In practice, you have have dead level - 1:50 (over about 1.5m) - dead
level and be utterly unable to see it.

I have this in the passage way from my kitchen to lobby.

OK - if you had this in an area where you could place a table with 4
legs, you'd get some rocking, but for a planar slope, no normal person
would notice, without getting out a level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 26/12/2016 14:04, Moron Watch wrote:

Any fool can tell if a floor is sloping by dropping a ball on it or
spilling a liquid, just as they could by using a spirit level.

The question being posed all those years ago is how much it
would have to slope for you to notice it without the aid of tools
or apparatus of any kind;either deliberately or by accident.

I genuinely think that 2cm in 4m would be noticeable. Maybe not just
walking along it, but when you put a run of kitchen units or a
wardrobe on it.

That's why they all have adjustable legs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
On 26/12/2016 15:14, Phil L wrote:
GB wrote:
On 26/12/2016 14:04, Moron Watch wrote:

Any fool can tell if a floor is sloping by dropping a ball on it or
spilling a liquid, just as they could by using a spirit level.

The question being posed all those years ago is how much it
would have to slope for you to notice it without the aid of tools
or apparatus of any kind;either deliberately or by accident.

I genuinely think that 2cm in 4m would be noticeable. Maybe not just
walking along it, but when you put a run of kitchen units or a
wardrobe on it.

That's why they all have adjustable legs

Yes, but wouldn't it look a bit odd with the plinth much shorter at one
end than the other?

A one metre wide wardrobe would need 0.5 cm packing along one side so
it's vertical.

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't recall living in a house with that much slope
on the floor.

try living in a house built in 1911!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 26/12/2016 14:04, Moron Watch wrote:

Any fool can tell if a floor is sloping by dropping a ball on it or
spilling a
liquid, just as they could by using a spirit level.

The question being posed all those years ago is how much it
would have to slope for you to notice it without the aid of tools
or apparatus of any kind;either deliberately or by accident.

I genuinely think that 2cm in 4m would be noticeable.

I know its not because I have a lot more than that outside
the house and its completely invisible. I did it like that on
purpose because the house sits right on the ground with
a concrete slab. I ensured that the top of the slab is quite
a bit higher than that above the surrounding ground level
so that even flood wouldn’t come into the house and its
completely invisible.

Maybe not just walking along it, but when you put a run of kitchen units
or a wardrobe on it.

That’s just a different cruder way of effectively measuring it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 15:35, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
wrote:

OK - if you had this in an area where you could place a table with 4
legs, you'd get some rocking, but for a planar slope, no normal person
would notice, without getting out a level.

No rocking with a 4-leg table on any planar slope, Shirley?

I meant where the table crosses the level and unlevel planes..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message news
On 26/12/2016 14:04, Moron Watch wrote:

Any fool can tell if a floor is sloping by dropping a ball on it or spilling a
liquid, just as they could by using a spirit level.

The question being posed all those years ago is how much it
would have to slope for you to notice it without the aid of tools
or apparatus of any kind;either deliberately or by accident.

I genuinely think that 2cm in 4m would be noticeable. Maybe not just walking along it,
but when you put a run of kitchen units or a wardrobe on it.

But that assumes surely that the walls are still truly perpendicular ?
If a building with a rigid steel frame were struck by an earthquake
such that one end dropped by say 20cm then its quite possible
that all the interior angles of the frame, and thus the corners
of the rooms remained at 90%. So just as you have might have an
imperceptibly sloping floor, so you might also have imperceptibly
sloping walls which can accommodate kitchen units or wardrobes
without giving any visual clues at all.
Although obviously if you decided to store balls or loose
liquids on the shelves inside the units or wardrobe then that
should possibly give the game away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2016 02:44, Mihai wrote:
replying to briandotdrury, Mihai wrote:
m over 1

I think you mean 200mm or 20cm at 4.5m to be noticeable. you can't possible
notice 20mm at 4.5m

It's about 25mm in 2 metres in here, and that's noticeable. Though ICBA
to get the long level and check exactly, it slopes in all sorts of
directions and isn't flat either, so it may be some bits are stepper
than that.

It probably wasn't flat when it was built, and that's about 300 years ago.

Andy

Bathroom floor slope to drain franz fripplfrappl Home Repair 4 June 7th 08 12:28 PM
Slope ratios Harlan Messinger Home Repair 3 July 8th 07 07:04 AM
Slippery slope David Woodworking 6 January 14th 06 04:34 AM
Walkway slope Wayne Whitney Home Repair 3 October 12th 05 02:17 PM
Shop cabs - level or follow floor slope ? Folklore Woodworking 9 February 3rd 05 05:35 AM