Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Whitworth[_3_] John Whitworth[_3_] is offline

Default how much floor slope can you have without noticing it?

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

On 06/11/10 16:57, GB wrote:
We have a short bit of passageway that drops almost 2" over 18" (I can
convert that to metric for you if you want). It's been like since the
house
was built 60 years ago, I guess. It's not an issue, and nobody has fallen
there in the last 12 years since we have been in the house.

Based on that, I'd be tempted to put the whole of your 2cm drop over the
first foot or two as you enter the room and have the rest level.
Otherwise,
you'll have problems with kitchen units and worktops which will never be
square to a sloping floor - I think the worktop needs to be horizontal.

Units usually have adjustable feet - you'd only need to trim the
kickboard. But you have a point appliances - many are adjustable, not
all are.

Tim Watts

Agreed - I fitted kitchen units and worktop across the 2.4m span of the
converted garage (which was raised by 7-8mm in the centre. The units all had
adjustable feet, so it was no issue. Biggest problem I had was an untrue
wall, where the plasterboard came out about 20mm more at one side than the
other.

Regarding the worktop - if it's sitting on cupboards, then that is taken
care of by the unit feet - and if not, then you will just be cutting
legs/end panels to the correct length - and battening to the wall at the
correct height, so not an issue.

Hadn't thought about problems with appliances - but surely at the end of the
day, some wooden packing, or some of those plastic coloured shims would do
the job?

JW