Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix Saturday delivery no longer free for £50 orders - have to spend £100 to qualify now

Maybe you know already, but if you don't...

Screwfix used to deliver next day for free, as long as you spent over
£50.

This worked on Friday, giving free delivery on Saturday.

Not any more. To get free delivery on Saturday, you have to spend over
£100, otherwise Saturday delivery costs £5.

Shame. Used that a lot!

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 4:06*pm, David Robinson
wrote:

Shame.

Screwfix are failing in a number of areas in my view. Without
exception, the last dozen or so visits to their Swindon counter has
resulted in me leaving with at least one item not in stock. Typically
it's usually the most important item I was after - the other bits are
often just for the sake of it!

Sure, they can get the unstocked item ready for collection the
following day but I live too far away for that to me of much use. If
they could provide realtime stock counts online a la Toolstation,
perhaps even allow me to reserve-and-collect Argos style then that'd
do for me as I appreciate cannot always have every item sat their
waiting for me. I do seem to recall them introducing a service whereby
you can ring and order so that might be worth a try, but I'd much
rather it be online.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Robinson wrote:
Maybe you know already, but if you don't...

Screwfix used to deliver next day for free, as long as you spent over
£50.

This worked on Friday, giving free delivery on Saturday.

Not any more. To get free delivery on Saturday, you have to spend over
£100, otherwise Saturday delivery costs £5.

Shame. Used that a lot!

I buy most of my stuff from Toolstation these days - free delivery over
£10 - Mon to Sat.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/10 16:49, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Nov 5, 4:06 pm, David
wrote:

[...]

Yep - totally taken their eye off the ball on that one.

It's not just for joe public - I would image a lot of trades would be
happy of they could book in their order the evening before, knowing they
will be able to pop in and collect it next morning without fussing
around because something is missing.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Robinson wrote:

Maybe you know already, but if you don't...

Screwfix used to deliver next day for free, as long as you spent over
£50.

This worked on Friday, giving free delivery on Saturday.

Not any more. To get free delivery on Saturday, you have to spend over
£100, otherwise Saturday delivery costs £5.

Unless they changed it in the last 6 months, it always was £100 minimum
for Saturday delivery.
I dont use them much now, as they are too expensive for many things.

alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mathew Newton wrote:

Sure, they can get the unstocked item ready for collection the
following day but I live too far away for that to me of much use. If
they could provide realtime stock counts online a la Toolstation,

Beware, it's not (unless it's changed recently) a realtime stock count.
It's only updated overnight.

perhaps even allow me to reserve-and-collect Argos style then that'd
do for me as I appreciate cannot always have every item sat their
waiting for me.

That would be really handy if it worked. If however it's like halfords
then don't bother :-) 4 orders over a period of a couple of months across
two different stores. Turn up each time and they wander around the shop
looking for the item on the shelves before deciding they don't have it all.
Completely useless.

I've also completely given up with screwfix and just use toolstation when
possible. Even more so now screwfix don't open sat pm or sundays :-(

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 21:22:51 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

perhaps even allow me to reserve-and-collect Argos style then that'd do
for me as I appreciate cannot always have every item sat their waiting
for me.

That would be really handy if it worked. If however it's like halfords
then don't bother :-) 4 orders over a period of a couple of months
across two different stores. Turn up each time and they wander around
the shop looking for the item on the shelves before deciding they don't
have it all. Completely useless.

That happened to me the only time I tried it with PC World (I was
desperate, it was Christmas Eve and I wanted to play with a new toy but
needed an extra hard disk, OK?).

It even happened to me at Argos; the stock control for that item was
screwed and they didn't have any.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

It even happened to me at Argos; the stock control for that item was
screwed and they didn't have any.

Happened to me once in Argos. Reserved a basic tomtom satnav, drove to
Ashford.

"Sorry, we don't have it - it was supposed to come in the delivery but
they sent us a load of the much more expensive ones"

"That's fine, I'll take one of those"

"That'll be an extra 50 pounds please"

"No, you don't understand. Can I speak to the manager?"

As the queue built up behind me they gave me the expensive one for the
same price in the end :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/10 21:22, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In ,
Mathew wrote:

[...]

The difference is, Screwfix (and TS) are already an Argos operation
(well, Argos circa 1970) in that the stuff is warehoused anyway. So it
should be simple for them...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

It even happened to me at Argos; the stock control for that item was
screwed and they didn't have any.

Happened to me once in Argos. Reserved a basic tomtom satnav, drove to
Ashford.

"Sorry, we don't have it - it was supposed to come in the delivery but
they sent us a load of the much more expensive ones"

"That's fine, I'll take one of those"

"That'll be an extra 50 pounds please"

"No, you don't understand. Can I speak to the manager?"

As the queue built up behind me they gave me the expensive one for the
same price in the end :-)

Should be a lot more of this.

I get really ****ed off when suppliers f*ck up & I have to take the hit &
sort it out.

Three times I've bought sinks in Wickes only to find the securing clips are
missing, return round trip for me, can't really expect the customer to pay
for my time. I now unpack them at the checkout to check.

SIL bought a set of taps at B&Q, cold tap leaked. She had to return it to
B&Q at her expense. Had she paid a plumber to fit them, he would have
charged for removal/refit.

Last week I supplied & fitted a set of basin taps from SF. Cold tap dripped
badly. I had to return it, another wasted journey & wasted time.

Suppliers are always willing to replace the product, but they never want to
cover the time & cost of returning a faulty product.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Maybe you know already, but if you don't...

Screwfix used to deliver next day for free, as long as you spent over
£50.

This worked on Friday, giving free delivery on Saturday.

Not any more. To get free delivery on Saturday, you have to spend over
£100, otherwise Saturday delivery costs £5.

Shame. Used that a lot!

Cheers,
David.

I think the rot set in when they started opening local branches. This
was bound to increase costs and possibilties for foul up.
I have used them for years. They were cheap ,eventually, efficient.
But not since they started opening local branches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Maybe you know already, but if you don't...

Screwfix used to deliver next day for free, as long as you spent over
£50.

This worked on Friday, giving free delivery on Saturday.

Not any more. To get free delivery on Saturday, you have to spend over
£100, otherwise Saturday delivery costs £5.

Shame. Used that a lot!

Cheers,
David.

I think the rot set in when they started opening local branches. *This
was bound to increase costs and possibilties for foul up.
I have used them for years. They were cheap ,eventually, efficient.
But not since they started opening local branches.

Noticed an interesting reversal in usual Screwfix ? Toolstation branh
locations. Toolstation used to wait for SF to open then open branch as
close as possible.

In Edinburgh, SF have moved accross road to be closer to TS, think TS
has had majority of benefit , seem to be buisier than ever as people
who were unaware of it work out its cheaper than SF ;-)

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 6:45*pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
David Robinson wrote:
Screwfix used to deliver next day for free, as long as you spent over
£50.

Not any more. To get free delivery on Saturday, you have to spend over
£100, otherwise Saturday delivery costs £5.

Unless they changed it in the last 6 months, it always was £100 minimum
for Saturday delivery.

It wasn't last month! Or the month before.

The changes are apparently their "new improved" delivery options!

I've only had a few things from toolstation so far, but will look to
them more often in the future.

Cheers,
David.