Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to bend a piece of metal?

I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a 1.75"
(approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a
vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/11/2010 12:56 p.m., SS wrote:
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a 1.75"
(approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a
vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

You didn't say what angle you want to bend it through. 45 deg? 90 deg? 360
deg? It makes a difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2010 23:56, SS wrote:
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a 1.75"
(approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a
vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

First, where did you get this metal from and do you know what it's spec
is? L37, L72, or L73 etc? Some of the harder Al can crystallise when it
is bent and fracture soon after.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
On 03/11/2010 23:56, SS wrote:
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a
1.75"
(approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a
vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

First, where did you get this metal from and do you know what it's spec
is? L37, L72, or L73 etc? Some of the harder Al can crystallise when it is
bent and fracture soon after.

Dave

Havent a clue of the spec, just a small sheet I had lurking around.
It appears to bend ok without fracturing.(tried on waste piece)
I am trying to achieve a circle, its to cover a pipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 4, 12:49*am, "SS" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

On 03/11/2010 23:56, SS wrote:
[...]

Make wooden circle former fractionally smaller, or use a glass/plastic
item. Bend ali over it using a block fo wood to press it down as you
go, thus getting a smooth even bend.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a 1.75"
(approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a
vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

Can't you manually start to bend it around the actual pipe then maybe use a
strap wrench?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
eb.com...

"SS" wrote in message
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a
1.75" (approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a
vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

Can't you manually start to bend it around the actual pipe then maybe use
a strap wrench?

No I am in uk, pipe in Turkey so working to measurements taken when last
there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 11:56*pm, "SS" wrote:
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a 1.75"
(approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a
vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

You need a vice and some pipe or hard wood of the same diameter (or a
bit smaller) as you want the bend to be,.

You need to put the pipe and the metal in the vice with pipe
horizontal and right at the top of the jaws and the edge of the metal
only just trapped btween the jaw and the pipe. You can bend the metal
over the pipe with a hammer and block of wood. If the metal is longer
then the vice jaws you will need an additional bit of metal (ideally
angle steel) to "extend" the vice jaws. You can bend about 90degrees
this way. If you need to go further you will need to release the vice
and rotate the metal and get a fresh "bite" & repeat the operation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Nov 3, 11:56 pm, "SS" wrote:
[...]

Thanks all, the replies make sense and will give it a go.
It doesnt need to be perfect so I should manage.

Thank you

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"SS" wrote in message
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a 1.75"
(approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a
vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

I would anneal the aluminium first.
Rub one side with a bar of soap.
And heat with a gas torch until the soap turn black.
Don't quench, leave to air cool.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message

"harry" wrote in message
On Nov 3, 11:56 pm, "SS" wrote:
[...]

If it doesn't work..
http://www.clickmetal.co.uk/Angle-Ty...FU0_4wodrTkAQg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 11:56*pm, "SS" wrote:
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a 1.75"
(approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)

Start by annealing it. Wipe it with a bit of liquid soap, stick it on
the cooker (gas or electric) and toast it until the soap blackens.
Then leave to cool (it's not fussy).

After that, it should bend by hand force around a suitable broomhandle
or such.

If you have to hit it, use a rubber mallet (or piece of firewood), not
a steel hammer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a
1.75" (approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but
have a vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

open a can of Strongbow or similar.
Drink contents.

slice off top and bottom and hey presto, you have an aluminium tube about 6
inches by 1.8 inches

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
SS wrote:
I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a
1.75" (approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric)
so curving the 6" length
It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable.
It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but
have a vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

open a can of Strongbow or similar.
Drink contents.

slice off top and bottom and hey presto, you have an aluminium tube about
6 inches by 1.8 inches

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Thanks all got a decent job done with all your recommendations.

Oh! and phil I had a can when I finished the job to celebrate. :-)