Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Three way valve replacement

Need to replace a ACL Lifestyle 3-port valve[1] on a fully pumped,
unpressurised system and was wondering if it's possible to do it without
draining down as one would swap radiator valves, ie bung up the tank
outlet & overflow and let physics keep the water in the pipework.

I can shut off the valve inlet at the pump so there'd only be two open
pipes to deal with.

And, FWIW, the valve is slightly below the tank's coil top connection.

Do I stand an earthly or should I just drain?

[1] On dismantling to check it really was the synchron motor, the
plastic innards promptly disintegrated so can't just swap motor. And
they stopped making it when Drayton bought out ACL so can't just get a
new head. Grrrr.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2010 18:05, Scott M wrote:

Need to replace a ACL Lifestyle 3-port valve[1] on a fully pumped,
unpressurised system and was wondering if it's possible to do it without
draining down as one would swap radiator valves, ie bung up the tank
outlet & overflow and let physics keep the water in the pipework.

I can shut off the valve inlet at the pump so there'd only be two open
pipes to deal with.

And, FWIW, the valve is slightly below the tank's coil top connection.

Do I stand an earthly or should I just drain?

You should be able to do it ok. Bung up the fill and vent pipes and turn
off the pump isolating valve. Put old towels anywhere where water may
drip. Then break the connection between pump and valve, and be prepared
to collect some water (shouldn't be too much) from the bottom of the
valve. Make sure that the valve is in the mid position so that you will
get everything that wants to come from both sides.

When it stops running, undo the other connections and remove the valve.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

You should be able to do it ok. Bung up the fill and vent pipes and turn
off the pump isolating valve. Put old towels anywhere where water may
drip. Then break the connection between pump and valve, and be prepared
to collect some water (shouldn't be too much) from the bottom of the
valve. Make sure that the valve is in the mid position so that you will
get everything that wants to come from both sides.

When it stops running, undo the other connections and remove the valve.

Can beat towels - Wet & Dry Vac. Brilliant for removing water from
pipes, rads, etc.

Having thought a bit more, there's not going to be much to deal with as
the valve is, bar the header tank, nearly the highest point of the
system. So a few pipefulls of water and we'll be home free!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

I'd also turn all the radiators off as well, just to reduce any movement of
water.

I would have thought even if the OP did need to drain the system, with the
height of the valve and rads turned off, he wouldn't need to drain off much
water.

need to replacement my diverter valve - should i diy? [email protected] UK diy 6 November 27th 06 11:00 PM
Valve,butterfly valve,ball valve,check valve,globe valve [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 14th 06 09:23 AM
Replacement gas valve John Rumm UK diy 7 December 15th 05 06:54 PM
boiler gas valve replacement Stoney UK diy 7 October 17th 03 12:43 PM