Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Three way valve replacement

On 28/10/2010 18:05, Scott M wrote:

Need to replace a ACL Lifestyle 3-port valve[1] on a fully pumped,
unpressurised system and was wondering if it's possible to do it without
draining down as one would swap radiator valves, ie bung up the tank
outlet & overflow and let physics keep the water in the pipework.

I can shut off the valve inlet at the pump so there'd only be two open
pipes to deal with.

And, FWIW, the valve is slightly below the tank's coil top connection.

Do I stand an earthly or should I just drain?

You should be able to do it ok. Bung up the fill and vent pipes and turn
off the pump isolating valve. Put old towels anywhere where water may
drip. Then break the connection between pump and valve, and be prepared
to collect some water (shouldn't be too much) from the bottom of the
valve. Make sure that the valve is in the mid position so that you will
get everything that wants to come from both sides.

When it stops running, undo the other connections and remove the valve.
--
Cheers,
Roger