Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Down-lighters - fire hoods

Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard Gu10
down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and surrounded by
loft insulation.

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Camdor wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard Gu10
down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and surrounded by
loft insulation.

ceramic plant pots turned upside down. According to my BCO...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

On Oct 25, 10:22*pm, Camdor wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard Gu10
down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and surrounded by
loft insulation.

--
Regards
Camdor.

Try
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ght/index.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct, 22:22, Camdor wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard Gu10
down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and surrounded by
loft insulation.

--
Regards
Camdor.

Screwfix.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...chbutt on.y=7
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On 25 Oct, 22:22, Camdor wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard Gu10
down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and surrounded by
loft insulation.

--
Regards
Camdor.

Screwfix.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...chbutt on.y=7

At that price, would it not be better to replace them with fire rated ones
like this?

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Elco-Presse...-pr-22549.html

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2010 22:22, Camdor wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard Gu10
down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and surrounded by
loft insulation.

Change them for LED GU10's and the risk goes away. That's what I did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:

At that price, would it not be better to replace them with fire rated ones
like this?

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Elco-Presse...-pr-22549.html

The other links on that page surprise me. I thought that it was
not a good idea to use a dichroic lamp in a fitting which did not
allow the heat to be dissipated at the rear.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Toby wrote:

At that price, would it not be better to replace them with fire rated ones
like this?

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Elco-Presse...-pr-22549.html

The other links on that page surprise me. I thought that it was
not a good idea to use a dichroic lamp in a fitting which did not
allow the heat to be dissipated at the rear.

Chris

I thought GU10 reflected most of the heat out the front, where as GX10 did
not, so using GU10 in these fitting is OK, but GX10 is not.

....but I may be misunderstanding!

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Elco-Presse...Fixed-GU10-Dow...

The other links on that page surprise me. I thought that it was
not a good idea to use a dichroic lamp in a fitting which did not
allow the heat to be dissipated at the rear.

Chris

I thought GU10 reflected most of the heat out the front, where as GX10 did
not, so using GU10 in these fitting is OK, but GX10 is not.

Thats the one, GX10 has chamfered corners to try and prevent
mislamping, still possible though

Also now get alumised as opposed to dichroic LV MR16s that are
suitable for closed back downlighters

Cheers
Adam

...but I may be misunderstanding!

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

On 26 Oct, 12:45, "Toby" wrote:
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in messagenews:9tbdc6d425ndtu70npsob05l5kbcl9ukb4@4ax .com...

The other links on that page surprise me. I thought that it was
not a good idea to use a dichroic lamp in a fitting which did not
allow the heat to be dissipated at the rear.

I thought GU10 reflected most of the heat out the front, where as GX10 did
not, so using GU10 in these fitting is OK, but GX10 is not.

Thats the one, GX10 has chamfered corners to try and prevent
mislamping, still possible though

Also now get alumised as opposed to dichroic LV MR16s that are
suitable for closed back downlighters

But this is what I was seeing on the same page as the fitting:

http://www.qvsdirect.com/GU10-240V-5...-pr-17342.html

Is it the description which is wrong?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct, 09:49, Vortex7 wrote:
On 25/10/2010 22:22, Camdor wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard Gu10
down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and surrounded by
loft insulation.

Change them for LED GU10's and the risk goes away. *That's what I did.

Let us know when LED GU10s are available with a comparable light
output to a 50W GU10 halogen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex7 wrote:
On 25/10/2010 22:22, Camdor wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard
Gu10 down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and
surrounded by loft insulation.

Change them for LED GU10's and the risk goes away. That's what I did.

Fire hoods are not used to stop the lights catching fire but are there to
keep the fire integrity of the ceiling.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2010 17:10, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
On 25/10/2010 22:22, Camdor wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard
Gu10 down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and
surrounded by loft insulation.

Change them for LED GU10's and the risk goes away. That's what I did.

Fire hoods are not used to stop the lights catching fire but are there to
keep the fire integrity of the ceiling.

I know what they are for, just looking for some recommendations if
anyone has used any.

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 25/10/2010 22:22, Camdor wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good source for some fire hoods for standard
Gu10 down lighters, that are protruding into a loft space and
surrounded by loft insulation.

Change them for LED GU10's and the risk goes away. That's what I
did.

Fire hoods are not used to stop the lights catching fire but are
there to keep the fire integrity of the ceiling.

I know what they are for,

I do not doubt you, my reply was to Vortex 7:-)

just looking for some recommendations if
anyone has used any.

I have used very few fire hoods. I always fit fire-rated lights and not
firehoods where fire rating is needed. Cheaper and faster IMHO. No help to
you I know, as you already have the lights installed.

--
Adam

Gas range lighters KO Higgs Boson[_2_] Home Repair 9 June 29th 09 12:29 PM
converting down lighters Chris UK diy 3 January 11th 08 05:51 PM
Recessed lighting fire hoods requirements OBone UK diy 2 January 19th 07 08:38 AM
Are Piezoelectric Gas Lighters really this crap? Mick6 UK diy 15 December 4th 06 11:51 AM
Halogen down lighters - spacing for kitchen Mark UK diy 9 January 10th 06 09:41 PM