Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas range lighters KO

On my Magic Chef gas cooktop (not free-standing) , 3 out of 5
automatic lighters no longer work. Have to light manually. Somebody
must have been cleaning roughly and damaged the little ceramic ?
thingie that sparks when turned on, so gas is no longer reaching that
unit. At least that's the way gas co. man explained it.)

Is there an economical way to replace those 3 automatic lighters on
the burners? Or
the burners themselves? I can't get in too deep on repair$ the$e day
$.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 7:01�am, Higgs Boson wrote:
On my Magic Chef gas cooktop �(not free-standing) , 3 out of 5
automatic lighters no longer work. Have to light manually. �Somebody
must have been cleaning roughly and damaged the little ceramic ?
thingie that �sparks when turned on, so gas is no longer reaching that
unit. �At least that's the way gas co. man explained it.)

Is there an economical way to replace those 3 �automatic lighters on
the burners? Or
the burners themselves? �I can't get in too deep on repair$ the$e day
$.

TIA

might be food crud in on burners.

i put my burner parts in the dishwasher every few months.

unless you can see the igniters are physically broke its probably
spilled food
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 6:01*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
On my Magic Chef gas cooktop *(not free-standing) , 3 out of 5
automatic lighters no longer work. Have to light manually. *Somebody
must have been cleaning roughly and damaged the little ceramic ?
thingie that *sparks when turned on, so gas is no longer reaching that
unit. *At least that's the way gas co. man explained it.)

Is there an economical way to replace those 3 *automatic lighters on
the burners? Or
the burners themselves? *I can't get in too deep on repair$ the$e day
$.

TIA

When mine dont work its because they are dirty, I wire brush them
clean. Nothing is stopping the gas from reacing a unit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 4:30*am, ransley wrote:
On Jun 27, 6:01*am, Higgs Boson wrote:

On my Magic Chef gas cooktop *(not free-standing) , 3 out of 5
automatic lighters no longer work. Have to light manually. *Somebody
must have been cleaning roughly and damaged the little ceramic ?
thingie that *sparks when turned on, so gas is no longer reaching that
unit. *At least that's the way gas co. man explained it.)

Is there an economical way to replace those 3 *automatic lighters on
the burners? Or
the burners themselves? *I can't get in too deep on repair$ the$e day
$.

TIA

When mine dont work its because they are dirty, I wire brush them
clean. Nothing is stopping the gas from reacing a unit

Gas co man showed me that lighter is cracked; not dirty
from food.

So about costs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 04:43:17 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

[...]

About $30 per ignitor-
http://www.repairclinic.com/Magic-Ch...?s=b104a13c272

Long time *very happy* customer of repairclinic.com.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is the business I want to be in
..... selling a part for $30 that costs me
about 30 cents. I've had nothing but
problems with ignitors, both in my
house and in a motor home. If you try
to adjust them by bending, they
break .... $30 please. Off soapbox:
Usually, there is a small gas hole
near the actual spark. This can be
plugged. During sparking, look
at the spark. It should come from the
top of the wire to the burner. If
it is sparking in the ceramic area, it
is probably cracked and needs to be
replaced. Many times the wire comes
loose under the burner so check
that. For the motor home I found some
cheap BBQ units. For $10
at Lowe's you get a bag with 2 ignitors
and a high voltage push button
unit. With a Dremel tool and a little
time, I made the units work, probably
better than when I bought the motor home
new. But you do need to be
mechanically handy. Also, I have found
that the high voltage module is
a problem many times. They typically
have 4 outputs. If just one is not
sparking properly, there will usually be
another not working, which make
trouble shooting very difficult. In the
motor home the high voltage unit
is run by human power, with 3 outputs.
If this thing ever dies, I will replace
it with separate pushbuttons for each of
the 3 burners, the ones I have
saved from the Lowe's purchase.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
About $30 per ignitor-
http://www.repairclinic.com/Magic-Ch...?s=b104a13c272

Long time *very happy* customer of repairclinic.com.

Jim

This is the business I want to be in
.... selling a part for $30 that costs me
about 30 cents.

So what is holding you back?

BTW- There may be 30cents worth of materials there-- but I'll bet that
part cost repairclinc $15-20. Prove me wrong.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
About $30 per ignitor-
http://www.repairclinic.com/Magic-Ch...?s=b104a13c272

Long time *very happy* customer of repairclinic.com.

Jim

This is the business I want to be in
.... selling a part for $30 that costs me
about 30 cents.

So what is holding you back?

BTW- There may be 30cents worth of materials there-- but I'll bet that
part cost repairclinc $15-20. Prove me wrong.

Jim

You're probably right. I guess what
gets me is that, in my limited experience
of 2 stoves and several new ignitors and
electronic spark modules, none seem
to work well. I'd spend $50 if they
would work properly. None did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 6:10*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
About $30 per ignitor-
http://www.repairclinic.com/Magic-Ch...-Parts?s=b104a...

Long time *very happy* customer of repairclinic.com.

Jim
This is the business I want to be in
.... selling a part for $30 that costs me
about 30 cents.

So what is holding you back?

BTW- There may be 30cents worth of materials there-- but I'll bet that
part cost repairclinc $15-20. * Prove me wrong.

Jim

You're probably right. *I guess what
gets me is that, in my limited experience
of 2 stoves and several new ignitors and
electronic spark modules, none seem
to work well. *I'd spend $50 if they
would work properly. *None did.

Thanks to all. I'm not mechanically adept enough
to try purchasing and replacing ignitors. I'll
just keep on lighting those 3 burners with one of
those "match" lighters -- and grind my teeth about
whoever ignored instructions to clean carefully
around ignitors. Too bad they're so fragile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A wise man knows when not to **** off his wife.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Thanks to all. I'm not mechanically adept enough
to try purchasing and replacing ignitors. I'll
just keep on lighting those 3 burners with one of
those "match" lighters -- and grind my teeth about
whoever ignored instructions to clean carefully
around ignitors. Too bad they're so fragile.

Replacing range vent with microwave, what to do with range hoodwiring Eugene[_2_] Home Repair 4 July 20th 08 08:45 PM
converting down lighters Chris UK diy 3 January 11th 08 06:51 PM
Are Piezoelectric Gas Lighters really this crap? Mick6 UK diy 15 December 4th 06 12:51 PM
Halogen down lighters - spacing for kitchen Mark UK diy 9 January 10th 06 10:41 PM
Fuel for cigarette lighters = petrol? Richard Schultz UK diy 89 July 25th 05 11:19 AM