Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket outlet on cooker circuit

Is it legitimate to have a socket outlet on a non-RCD-protected cooker
circuit, so long as the socket has an integral RCD (e.g. TLC CM
4906)? I am assuming appropriate cable rating, of course.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Oct, 16:32, Richard Russell wrote:
Is it legitimate to have a socket outlet on a non-RCD-protected cooker
circuit, so long as the socket has an integral RCD (e.g. TLC CM
4906)? *I am assuming appropriate cable rating, of course.

Richard.http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

IIRC - the on-site guide describes only an integrated cooker switch
and socket outlet, not a separate outlet to the cooker switch.

The RCD requirement applies to protection of the cabling from the CU
to the outlet, rather than just the socket outlet - and given that the
conditions set by the 17th Ed cover almost all cabling, effectively,
yes, it needs to be RCD protected, but at the CU end.

Even if your cabling is exempted, there is an additional requirement
for RCD protection if the socket is likely to be used for appliances
outdoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Oct, 16:59, " wrote:
On 23 Oct, 16:32, Richard Russell wrote:

Is it legitimate to have a socket outlet on a non-RCD-protected cooker
circuit, so long as the socket has an integral RCD (e.g. TLC CM
4906)? *I am assuming appropriate cable rating, of course.

Richard.http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

IIRC - the on-site guide describes only an integrated cooker switch
and socket outlet, not a separate outlet to the cooker switch.

The RCD requirement applies to protection of the cabling from the CU
to the outlet, rather than just the socket outlet - and given that the
conditions set by the 17th Ed cover almost all cabling, effectively,
yes, it needs to be RCD protected, but at the CU end.

Even if your cabling is exempted, there is an additional requirement
for RCD protection if the socket is likely to be used for appliances
outdoors.

The practical concern is loading. You wouldn't want to plug a kettle
into an already well-loaded cooker circuit. You could argue this with
any circuit though. Since the MCB protects the circuit cable, it's not
a safety concern - just a pointless addition if it's going to trip all
the time.

There's no regulation to stop you hanging socket(s!) off the cooker
circuit, before or even after the isolator switch if the rated load
isn't exceeded, or you manage it with an FCU.

We have a socket _off_ the 40A Cooker isolator, behind the oven to
feed the hob ignition only. 32A cooker circuit. Not sure what the
cable to the socket should be in this case, but since it's next to
(and run off) the cooker connector (itself run in 6mm) I've not
worried about what the last 10cm to the socket should be and used
2.5mm T+E.

In my Mum's house, there's a set of wall lights run off the cooker
circuit. No FCU. Wired like this in 1969, but I can't imagine that was
allowed even then (assuming that part was run in 1mm T+E - never
checked).

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Russell wrote:
Is it legitimate to have a socket outlet on a non-RCD-protected cooker
circuit, so long as the socket has an integral RCD (e.g. TLC CM
4906)? I am assuming appropriate cable rating, of course.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

It is probably not legal to install one now due to the 17th edition rules on
RCDs and cable protection.

It is probably legal to have a socket like yours if it was installed
according to the 16th edition rules.

--
Adam

Position for 13 amp cooker socket? norm UK diy 6 October 28th 06 10:29 AM
about the cooker socket Jason UK diy 11 October 27th 04 10:33 PM
cooker socket Jason UK diy 6 October 15th 04 11:32 PM
Convert radial (cooker) circuit to socket circuit Chi UK diy 3 December 23rd 03 05:48 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM