Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sanding fiddly bits?

I have some seat slats with tatty varnish that's coming off in places
but is stuck fast in others. I want to take the whole lot off so I can
start again with a marine coating system that starts by soaking into
bare wood. I've made good progress tonight on the top sides of the slats
using a sandpaper flap wheel in a drill.

The problem will come when I have to get in between the slats and in the
fiddly corners. The flap wheel won't fit here; the distance between the
slats varies but goes down to 3/4" or so in places. The whole lot is
glued and screwed together and fits precisely into its place, so I don't
want to try to take it apart.

Is there a cunning tool that will work like a flap wheel but fit into
gaps and corners?

Cheers,

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Oct, 23:39, Pete Verdon
d wrote:
I have some seat slats with tatty varnish that's coming off in places
but is stuck fast in others. I want to take the whole lot off so I can
start again with a marine coating system that starts by soaking into
bare wood. I've made good progress tonight on the top sides of the slats
using a sandpaper flap wheel in a drill.

The problem will come when I have to get in between the slats and in the
fiddly corners. The flap wheel won't fit here; the distance between the
slats varies but goes down to 3/4" or so in places. The whole lot is
glued and screwed together and fits precisely into its place, so I don't
want to try to take it apart.

Is there a cunning tool that will work like a flap wheel but fit into
gaps and corners?

Cheers,

Pete

You could take it to one of this places with a chemical vat for
stripping doors etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there a cunning tool that will work like a flap wheel but fit into
gaps and corners?

Fein Multimaster with the sanding profile kit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
I have some seat slats with tatty varnish that's coming off in places but
is stuck fast in others. I want to take the whole lot off so I can start
again with a marine coating system that starts by soaking into bare wood.
I've made good progress tonight on the top sides of the slats using a
sandpaper flap wheel in a drill.

The problem will come when I have to get in between the slats and in the
fiddly corners. The flap wheel won't fit here; the distance between the
slats varies but goes down to 3/4" or so in places. The whole lot is glued
and screwed together and fits precisely into its place, so I don't want to
try to take it apart.

Is there a cunning tool that will work like a flap wheel but fit into gaps
and corners?

Cheers,

Pete

Assuming you can get to both sides of the slats, can't you just feed strips
of sandpaper through and use a "sawing" motion from each side?