Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parcel delivery problems

The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph...=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph...=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

An alternative.

http://www.mybybox.com

Costs £50/year and you have to travel to your closest of a UK network of
boxes to get your goods.

Ideal for those things normally wrapped discretely in brown plain
wrapping paper... (hey, what am I typing?..)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel
arrives has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph...=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

An alternative.

http://www.mybybox.com

Costs £50/year and you have to travel to your closest of a UK network
of boxes to get your goods.

My nearest is miles away.

Ideal for those things normally wrapped discretely in brown plain
wrapping paper... (hey, what am I typing?..)

Don't know what you mean....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterdayhttp://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Home&cat_level=0&cat_c...

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

So you have to leave it unlocked and you can have a maximum of one
parcel delivered before the same problem recurs?

Presumably the woman in the photograph was just lucky enough to have
six parcels delivered by the same courier at the same time.

I think leaving it with the neighbours is a better option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel
arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house
yesterdayhttp://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Home&cat_level=0&cat_c...

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

So you have to leave it unlocked and you can have a maximum of one
parcel delivered before the same problem recurs?

Thats about it yes. The guy I was working for said it was only a minor
problem.

Presumably the woman in the photograph was just lucky enough to have
six parcels delivered by the same courier at the same time.

Presumably yes.

I think leaving it with the neighbours is a better option.

If any of them are in.

I've solved my problem by having stuff delivered to a hotel where I have a
regular contract. They are open 24/7 and conveniently located.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So you have to leave it unlocked and you can have a maximum of one
parcel delivered before the same problem recurs?

A better design would have a night-safe-style rotating door, as well
as the big lid.

That way at least smaller packages could be added throughout the day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote
The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph...=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

I suspect that the average thief would just use a wreaking bar to open
it in 10 seconds and they wouldn't bother a key or leaving it in
pristine condition when they leave.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph..._level=0&cat_c...

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

I suspect that the average thief would just use a wreaking bar to open
it in 10 seconds and they wouldn't bother a key or leaving it in
pristine condition when they leave.

indeed

following earlier critique:-

from their webvert:-

"Ideal. During the cold weather I couldn't get to the shops. My
local shop put all my shopping in my box which I had fixed into the
porch."

so where was this person then? unable to get to the shops yet
mysteriously "out" when the shopkeeper managed to get to them??

in the pics the woman has so many parcels in it that the lid could not
possibly shut......erm?
in another the thing is sensibly full yet there are more boxes shown
on the patio next to it...

mished murketing meshages to say the least..

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote
The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph...=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

I suspect that the average thief would just use a wreaking bar to open it
in 10 seconds and they wouldn't bother a key or leaving it in pristine
condition when they leave.

I have a plastic box that I don't lock and have yet to loser a parcel from
it.

A metal box like that will probably be stolen for its scrap value, it can't
be difficult it only has 6 mm anchors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote
The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph...=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

I suspect that the average thief would just use a wreaking bar to open it
in 10 seconds and they wouldn't bother a key or leaving it in pristine
condition when they leave.

Actually I was very impressed by the build quality - built like a tank.
Similar to those Van Vaults.

Angle grinder would do it mind.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph...=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

An alternative.

http://www.mybybox.com

Costs £50/year and you have to travel to your closest of a UK network of
boxes to get your goods.

Ideal for those things normally wrapped discretely in brown plain wrapping
paper... (hey, what am I typing?..)

I wonder how they get round the credit card company / vendor only delivering
to the address that the card is registered to?
Good idea though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 11:29:54 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

http://www.mybybox.com

Costs £50/year and you have to travel to your closest of a UK network of
boxes to get your goods.

And their website is broken:

Find my nearest by box enter a postcode choose (eh should that be
find or search?) produces:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed Location:
http://www.mybybox.com/Register/Step1 Line Number 42, Column 56:

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote

Actually I was very impressed by the build quality - built like a tank.
Similar to those Van Vaults.

Angle grinder would do it mind.

Possible the same quality steel as used in some of the heavy duty filing
cabinets they once supplied where I worked. If someone had lost the key
the trick was to drill a hole just above the lock big enough for an
opened-up paper clip. The paper clip was then used to release the
locking mechanism.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On 9 Oct, 13:02, Alan wrote:
[...]

I'd just go around locking them for fun.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 11:42:52 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Adrian C wrote:
The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel
arrives has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?

pro_code=Home&cat_level=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

An alternative.

http://www.mybybox.com

Costs £50/year and you have to travel to your closest of a UK network
of boxes to get your goods.

My nearest is miles away.

Same here.

Ideal for those things normally wrapped discretely in brown plain
wrapping paper... (hey, what am I typing?..)

Don't know what you mean....

Probably not what he said! I suspect he means 'discreetly'!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/10 17:17, Alan wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote

Actually I was very impressed by the build quality - built like a tank.
Similar to those Van Vaults.

Angle grinder would do it mind.

Possible the same quality steel as used in some of the heavy duty filing
cabinets they once supplied where I worked. If someone had lost the key
the trick was to drill a hole just above the lock big enough for an
opened-up paper clip. The paper clip was then used to release the
locking mechanism.

I've been considering making up a dropbox out of ply with a Yale type
lock on the lid. Good enough for aroundhere...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2010 17:57, Owain wrote:
On Oct 9, 5:14 pm, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
http://www.mybybox.com
Costs £50/year and you have to travel to your closest of a UK network of
boxes to get your goods.

And their website is broken:
Find my nearest by box enter a postcode choose (eh should that be
find or search?) produces:
XML Parsing Error: not well-formed Location:http://www.mybybox.com/Register/Step1Line Number 42, Column 56:

It worked for me, but my nearest box is much further to walk than the
post delivery office, and they only keep things until the end of the
following day.

Owain

Mine is outside the local Tesco, so could be useful. Can't get my head
round the logistics of the thing though. Postman arrives at the box site
with parcel, then what happens? How does it get into my box?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:24:50 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

[...]

There's no 'your' box and the parcel isn't sent there directly. It goes
to their own distribution address, they then deliver it to a spare 'box'
at the location. They then text you an access code.

Would be useful if nearer.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 19:47:45 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. Just noticed you have to pick up by the end of the next day. And
the parcel is only covered for 50 quid, and only if 'their' fault.

And there's a fair use policy of two parcels a week.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.ph...=0&cat_code=HD

Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it
arrives.....

How does the box manage to sign the delivery receipt?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Hmmm. Just noticed you have to pick up by the end of the next day. And
the parcel is only covered for 50 quid, and only if 'their' fault.

And there's a fair use policy of two parcels a week.

And there's a size limit of 89cm x 51cm x 66cm. So if the sender packs
something in a unexpectedly big box (as they sometimes do) then I assume it
gets sent back and you probably get landed with any excess carriage
charges.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives
has been discussed here before.

Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterdayhttp://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Home&cat_level=0&cat_c...

Don't Screwfix orders usually require a signature on delivery? Mine
today certainly did (sent via Parcelforce).

Could also be a problem if you have more than one delivery on any
given day...

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:12:30 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 09/10/10 17:17, Alan wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
wrote

Actually I was very impressed by the build quality - built like a tank.
Similar to those Van Vaults.

Angle grinder would do it mind.

Possible the same quality steel as used in some of the heavy duty filing
cabinets they once supplied where I worked. If someone had lost the key
the trick was to drill a hole just above the lock big enough for an
opened-up paper clip. The paper clip was then used to release the
locking mechanism.

I've been considering making up a dropbox out of ply with a Yale type
lock on the lid. Good enough for aroundhere...

The point is - would the delivery bloke actually _use_ something like
that, even if it was painted dayglow orange with a big sign saying
"Parcels in here please"?

I really doubt it. 8-)

It might just work if you have one particular delivery driver that you
can educate...

The question of a signature is another matter.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

How does the box manage to sign the delivery receipt?

Reel of self-adhesive signature stickers? wouldn't work too well on
those LCD screen+stylus PDAs though ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying
something like:

"Ideal. During the cold weather I couldn't get to the shops. My
local shop put all my shopping in my box which I had fixed into the
porch."

so where was this person then? unable to get to the shops yet
mysteriously "out" when the shopkeeper managed to get to them??

Probably frozen to the outside bog round the back.

in the pics the woman has so many parcels in it that the lid could not
possibly shut......erm?
in another the thing is sensibly full yet there are more boxes shown
on the patio next to it...

Parcel thieves going around the boxes.