Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stolen from another ng

.... but this is the place for it
http://xkcd.com/730/
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:37:42 +0100, Jim S wrote:

... but this is the place for it
http://xkcd.com/730/

g I must have missed that one.

http://xkcd.com/765/

is one of my all time favourites

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim S" wrote in message
... but this is the place for it
http://xkcd.com/730/

That's the secret diagram for going directly down wind faster than the
wind!!!!!

I think http://xkcd.com/619/ is quite apt and not related.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 14:19:34 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I think http://xkcd.com/619/ is quite apt and not related.

I liked that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:37:42 +0100, Jim S wrote:

... but this is the place for it
http://xkcd.com/730/

I like many of them. My personal favourites (laminated copies on my
office door!) a

http://xkcd.com/205/

and

http://xkcd.com/350/

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Oct, 19:18, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:37:42 +0100, Jim S wrote:
... but this is the place for it
http://xkcd.com/730/

I like many of them. My personal favourites (laminated copies on my
office door!) a

*http://xkcd.com/205/

and

*http://xkcd.com/350/

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
*http://www.mirrorservice.org

Well, I looked at the home page ("airfoil") on that site and just
found out the school description of how wings work (faster air over
the top so less pressure, and the air must join back up at the far
side) is actually wrong (or at least vastly over simplified).
I never thought to question it. But then, how does an aircraft fly
upside down? No idea why that question never popped into anyones heads
at school !

At bit like A-level chemistry. I soon gave up trying to understand a
few things from first principles, since you came to a different answer
than the text book. I thought I was being thick, and it turned out I
was the genius after all !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:37:42 +0100, Jim S wrote:

... but this is the place for it
http://xkcd.com/730/

I like many of them. My personal favourites (laminated copies on my
office door!) a

http://xkcd.com/205/

and

http://xkcd.com/350/

I flicked through several.
I got to http://xkcd.com/214/ and thought,
yep, know that scenario well...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 8 Oct, 19:18, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Dont go there.

It transpires that actually the Bernoulli equations are for inviscid
fluids and wings would never work in inviscid gases.

I do more or less understand the issues, but do you REALLY want to?

At bit like A-level chemistry. I soon gave up trying to understand a
few things from first principles, since you came to a different answer
than the text book. I thought I was being thick, and it turned out I
was the genius after all !

Yep.

I remember physics..'all motion is relative'...Ok..I thought. No. It
can't be

'Sir?' '..yes boy?' 'If all motion is relative, and I spin round and my
arms fly out and I get dizzy, what am I spinning relative TO?'
Very long silence.

'The integral of the fixed mass of the rest of the Universe'.

******* had a PHD in atomic physics so never likely to catch him out,
but that was the longest he ever took to answer..

Stolen trashcan Oren[_2_] Home Repair 173 January 19th 10 11:00 AM
Stolen WoodMizer sawmill Doug Miller Woodworking 13 December 1st 07 07:54 AM
Stolen from the net Lou Newell Woodworking 0 April 24th 07 06:02 PM
OT-Stolen boat Gunner Metalworking 95 March 16th 05 07:44 AM
Stolen goods Gary Cavie UK diy 6 January 4th 05 01:26 PM