Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning up an HDD (removing deleted files etc before PC disposal)

Hi,

Under my desk at home I have 3 perfectly servicable but low spec XP PC's
which have been long dismissed by my children as of any use (and I only
use them as a footrest)

....but they are perfectly serviceable.

I'm inclined to give them away to somebody who might appreciate
them...but I am hesitant to do so without some degree of confidence that
all possible personal information has been purged.

I can easily locate and delete all mail accounts, logs, applications and
documents that could be deemed personal.....but how to I delete the
deleted files irreversibly?

I could do a low level format, and reinstall the OS on each machine but
it's honestly not worth the effort.

There seem to be numerous utilities and applications out there that
could help...but I have no inclination to spend money on solving the
problem.

Does anyone know of a Freeware app of some kind that I should consider
using to "wipe" my HDD's without a full reformat?