Duane Morin

Default Removing & Cleaning Fireplace Doors

Our bifold glass fireplace doors have got enough soot on them that
we'd like to fix/replace them. Most of it has been there since before
we bought the house.
I've tried reaching in by hand to scrub them but the problem is
reaching.

Should there be a way that I can remove these doors in order to clean
them?
How would that work, exactly? I tried lifting them out of the track
but that doesnt work. It seems like the glass is clamped in at top
and bottom, where there are screws, but the screws are placed in such
a way that I'm not sure I could get a screwdriver in there without
taking the whole frame completely off the brick.

Am I missing something simple? My wife wants to just replace them
completely, simply because we don't know how to clean them properly.

Duane
Bubba

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:01:35 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On 22 Nov 2003 12:48:41 -0800, (Duane Morin)
wrote:

Our bifold glass fireplace doors have got enough soot on them that
we'd like to fix/replace them. Most of it has been there since before
we bought the house.
I've tried reaching in by hand to scrub them but the problem is
reaching.

Should there be a way that I can remove these doors in order to clean
them?
How would that work, exactly? I tried lifting them out of the track
but that doesnt work. It seems like the glass is clamped in at top
and bottom, where there are screws, but the screws are placed in such
a way that I'm not sure I could get a screwdriver in there without
taking the whole frame completely off the brick.

Am I missing something simple? My wife wants to just replace them
completely, simply because we don't know how to clean them properly.

Duane

Figure out a way to carefully remove the glass. Lay it on several
sheets of newspapers *outdoors* and spray with oven cleaner. Allow
the lye to work for an hour and scrub. Rinse. Use rubber gloves.
Repeat the procedure if necessary. Polish with Windex.

Hey Phish,
He's asking how to remove them and you tell him to "figure out a
way"??? WTF?
Duane, look at the top and bottom corners of the glass. The glass is
probably pivoting on pins. The pins are probably sitting in little
bent pieces (clip) of metal to keep tension on them. You will need to
push down or up on the clips at the pivot point and then gently slide
the glass door out of the tracks.
Bubba
Phisherman

wrote:

[...]

Well, I can't help removing it but I know how to clean it.
:-)

George E. Cawthon

wrote:

[...]

I'll add to that, forget the screws as they probably adjust
the clips mentioned above to get the doors parallel. You
don't want to mess with the screws when taking the doors
out. Getting the glass out can be a bear if you've never it
done it before. Generally you have to fold the door mostly
open (the two halves in a V), push down on the door (to push
the bottom clip down), push up on the clip at the top, and
lean the top of the door toward the center of the opening to
get the pivot pin out of the hole in the clip. Once you
ever get the door out, it will become clear to you. It much
like removing a folding closet door.

EL

Don't remove the doors. Rutland makes a glass cleaner that will easily
clean the creosote and other residue from the glass doors. Just wipe it
on and wipe it off.

HEARTH & GRILL CONDITIONING GLASS CLEANER - Item # 84
http://www.rutland.com/sfp1/link1.htm#84

Boden

Removing Fireplace me UK diy 1 May 19th 04 09:37 PM
Problem: Squirrel in Fireplace Insert! Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 42 January 26th 04 07:56 AM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM
Fireplace dilemma Sultan of Cheap Home Repair 1 August 25th 03 07:54 PM
'Capping' off a chimney and removing Fireplace Art Begun Home Repair 3 July 13th 03 06:59 PM