Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dyson cable

Hi,

I took the advice of some of the people here and bought a dyson for
diy use. The recommendations seemed to be for a dc04 or dc07. So I
went to that auction site and the prices were pretty much the same so
I've bought a second hand dc07.

I notice that the cable is melted. I guess the previous owner stored
it too close to a hot iron. Reading the side of the cable it says
2x1.0mm^2. That's a shame as I don't have any of that lying around;
I'll have to buy some.

Is it fairly straightforward to unscrew the vacuum and connect the new
wire inside?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Is it fairly straightforward to unscrew the vacuum and connect the new
wire inside?

On the Dyson uprights I've had apart, very starightforward. The cable's
terminated in spade connectors usually.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

I took the advice of some of the people here and bought a dyson for
diy use. The recommendations seemed to be for a dc04 or dc07. So I
went to that auction site and the prices were pretty much the same so
I've bought a second hand dc07.

I notice that the cable is melted. I guess the previous owner stored
it too close to a hot iron. Reading the side of the cable it says
2x1.0mm^2. That's a shame as I don't have any of that lying around;
I'll have to buy some.

Is it fairly straightforward to unscrew the vacuum and connect the new
wire inside?

TIA

Why not chop the damaged bit off and fit the plug to a shortened lead
then use it with an extension lead that your are bound to have(?) in the
workshop.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 17:30:28 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Why not chop the damaged bit off and fit the plug to a shortened lead
then use it with an extension lead that your are bound to have(?) in the
workshop.

Too simple

TBH I hadn't thought of that but sod's law says the burn will be
nearer the vacuum than the plug end, so I may end up with a very short
lead. SWMBO would like to try it round the house, so I think I need to
replace it completely. I think the long lead is a "feature" to allow
you to vacuum the whole house without having to keep unplugging it.

This 2-core 1.0mm^2 seems rare stuff. One web site says 1.0mm^2 flex
is rated 10A another web site said 15A, that's a big difference. Which
is right?

I'm sure Dyson charge £££ for their grey cable but the only colour I
can find at TLC is white.

Thanks again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why not chop the damaged bit off and fit the plug to a shortened lead
then use it with an extension lead that your are bound to have(?) in the
workshop.

Too simple

TBH I hadn't thought of that but sod's law says the burn will be
nearer the vacuum than the plug end, so I may end up with a very short
lead. SWMBO would like to try it round the house, so I think I need to
replace it completely. I think the long lead is a "feature" to allow
you to vacuum the whole house without having to keep unplugging it.

This 2-core 1.0mm^2 seems rare stuff. One web site says 1.0mm^2 flex
is rated 10A another web site said 15A, that's a big difference. Which
is right?

I'm sure Dyson charge £££ for their grey cable but the only colour I
can find at TLC is white.

ITYF that white cable is just about as effective as grey. 8-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:39:52 +0100, Fred wrote:

This 2-core 1.0mm^2 seems rare stuff. One web site says 1.0mm^2 flex
is rated 10A another web site said 15A, that's a big difference. Which
is right?

I rewired a vac., with a longer flex, about 15 years ago and needed the
correct conductor /and/ OD (just made the job a lot simpler). I found that
the bright orange stuff for garden tools was spot on and tougher than
ordinary flex.
It is convenient to be able to do the house from one outlet. George does
that but the new Nilfisk has to be moved twice :-(
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Why not chop the damaged bit off and fit the plug to a shortened lead
then use it with an extension lead that your are bound to have(?) in the
workshop.

Too simple

TBH I hadn't thought of that but sod's law says the burn will be
nearer the vacuum than the plug end, so I may end up with a very short
lead. SWMBO would like to try it round the house, so I think I need to

Unless electrickery has changed recently, cable will work in either
direction, so you should still have a long length even if you have to
move the plug too. Murphy, of course, will have thought of this, and
the burn will be in the middle.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 13:18:56 +0100, PeterC wrote:

It is convenient to be able to do the house from one outlet. George does
that but the new Nilfisk has to be moved twice :-(

Must be small houses. I don't think I could do that here even picking
a centralish socket and a using 25m extension. Some of the paths the
cable would have to take are quite convoluted.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 11:39, Fred wrote:

This 2-core 1.0mm^2 seems rare stuff.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1F2.html. Any colour you like so
long as it's white.

One web site says 1.0mm^2 flex is rated 10A another web site said
15A, that's a big difference. Which is right?

10 A.

Normal PVC flex ratings are

CSA /mm^2 A
--------- --
0.5 3
0.75 6
1.0 10
1.25 13
1.5 16

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:49:27 +0100, Andy Wade
wrote:

On 04/10/2010 11:39, Fred wrote:

This 2-core 1.0mm^2 seems rare stuff.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1F2.html. Any colour you like so
long as it's white.

One web site says 1.0mm^2 flex is rated 10A another web site said
15A, that's a big difference. Which is right?

10 A.

Normal PVC flex ratings are

CSA /mm^2 A
--------- --
0.5 3
0.75 6
1.0 10
1.25 13
1.5 16

I've never actually examined the core detail of Dyson "flex" but it
does seem to be much more flexible than your average B&Q-style
offerings. For a flex to be regularly wrapped around storage hooks on
the machine will place a rather inordinate stress on parts of it.

It might be worth while looking for scrapped Dyson machines in skips
etc to recycle the flex - you might even find an appropriate colour,
e.g. purple.

I've had a DC01 "Absolute+" upright cleaner for ages (perhaps ten
years or more) and the only replacements have been filters, a belt and
the wand. I've never (famous last words? !) had any bother with flex
or switches, which most people seem to whinge about.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/4/2010 7:43 PM, Frank Erskine wrote:

I've had a DC01 "Absolute+" upright cleaner for ages (perhaps ten
years or more) and the only replacements have been filters, a belt and
the wand. I've never (famous last words? !) had any bother with flex
or switches, which most people seem to whinge about.

I've had my DC01 for more than 12 years - so far, I've only had to
replace filters. I have had it apart, though, due to it being used to
suck up still-damp bits of stripped wallpaper...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2010 00:43, Frank Erskine wrote:

I've never actually examined the core detail of Dyson "flex" but it
does seem to be much more flexible than your average B&Q-style
offerings.

That might be the extra-flexible grade with more plasticiser in the PVC
and Class 6 conductors (0.15 mm strands as opposed to the usual 0.2 mm -
see BS 6360). Highly unlikely that you'll find that on a distributor's
shelves, and the manufacturers tend to have MOQs of 5 or 10 km for such
'specials'.

It might be worth while looking for scrapped Dyson machines in skips
etc to recycle the flex - you might even find an appropriate colour,
e.g. purple.

Inspect carefully before re-use...

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 08:45, Andy Wade wrote:

That might be the extra-flexible grade with more plasticiser in the PVC
and Class 6 conductors (0.15 mm strands as opposed to the usual 0.2 mm -
see BS 6360). *Highly unlikely that you'll find that on a distributor's
shelves, and the manufacturers tend to have MOQs of 5 or 10 km for such
'specials'.

Some industrial suppliers carry it (even RS or Farnell?) as I've
bought it before in 50m /100m reels for tool cables. Not in Dyson
purple though!

The Dyson cable problem seems to be poor strain relief entering the
housing. The failure rate is thus presumably dependent on whether you
carry the thing, or drag it around by its cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PeterC
writes

It is convenient to be able to do the house from one outlet. George does
that but the new Nilfisk has to be moved twice :-(

Sure is. I recently replaced the cable on my DC01 with a 7 metre one.
It's white, but who cares?

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 22:49:27 +0100, Andy Wade
wrote:

10 A.

Normal PVC flex ratings are

CSA /mm^2 A
--------- --
0.5 3
0.75 6
1.0 10
1.25 13
1.5 16

Thanks, that's what I had thought. Looks like a mistake in the TLC
catalogue: the web site is right but the paper version is wrong.

Nothing sux like a Dyson D.M. Procida UK diy 15 January 1st 09 04:07 PM
Dyson DC4 ken UK diy 1 June 24th 06 01:00 PM
Looking for source of spare parts for Dyson appliances (other than Dyson!) [email protected] UK diy 7 April 5th 06 02:43 AM
Replace Dyson DC05 Cable/Cord Jeff UK diy 1 January 1st 06 05:23 PM
Replace Dyson DC05 Cable/Cord Douglas de Lacey UK diy 3 December 7th 05 06:01 AM