Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT on line banking

Dave wrote:

I am banking with Nat West and went for paperless banking some time ago
and they gave me a card reader for some of the transactions. What does
it do?

Dave

Who cares?!

For one-off payments, write a cheque.

For regular ones, write to your bank with an instruction.

None of this sodding about with pin-sentry...and I do a fair amount of
online banking.

TF
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Fields wrote:

Dave wrote:

I am banking with Nat West and went for paperless banking some time ago
and they gave me a card reader for some of the transactions. What does
it do?

Dave

Who cares?!

For one-off payments, write a cheque.

oops..I guess 'paperless banking' means no cheques.

Time to change banks, perhaps?

For regular ones, write to your bank with an instruction.

None of this sodding about with pin-sentry...and I do a fair amount of
online banking.

TF
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2010 17:53, Terry Fields wrote:

Dave wrote:

I am banking with Nat West and went for paperless banking some time ago
and they gave me a card reader for some of the transactions. What does
it do?

Dave

Who cares?!

For one-off payments, write a cheque.

For regular ones, write to your bank with an instruction.

None of this sodding about with pin-sentry...and I do a fair amount of
online banking.

TF

Cheques apparently are not going to be around much longer.

I rate it safer to pay by on-line transfer than post a cheque. Just need
to be very careful you don't get any account details wrong.

My mother wrote to Lloyds giving them all the details they needed for 2
standing orders. They sent her a form for one and a confusing letter.
After she rang them up they sent her a second form for the second
standing order.
I can set one up on the internet in a very few minutes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Terry Fields
writes

Dave wrote:

I am banking with Nat West and went for paperless banking some time ago
and they gave me a card reader for some of the transactions. What does
it do?

Dave

Who cares?!

For one-off payments, write a cheque.

Well, yes I do sometimes, but often it means finding an envelope, and a
stamp. If I owe a remote friend some money a bank transfer is easiest
for us all really.

For regular ones, write to your bank with an instruction.

for the regualr payments (I assume you mean standing orders) then I
don't need the reader anyway -certainly not after setting it up anyway.

None of this sodding about with pin-sentry...and I do a fair amount of
online banking.

I'd rather use the card reader than faff around with letters etc.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2010 17:53, Terry Fields wrote:

snip
For regular ones, write to your bank with an instruction.

/snip

The very first mortgage payment I ever made was done through a standing
order.

The bank paid it twice.

They seemed to think it would be OK if they just didn't pay the next
months one. I did point out to them this would leave me a teeny bit
short. OK that was a while ago, before my kids left home. Or in fact
were even born... but... last month we got a letter from the council
threatening us with legal action for not paying our council tax. They'd
somehow managed to file this month's payment (but not last months!) in a
suspense account. So nothing's changed.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

but... last month we got a letter from the council
threatening us with legal action for not paying our council tax. They'd
somehow managed to file this month's payment (but not last months!) in a
suspense account. So nothing's changed.

Luckily the suspense did not kill you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

I am banking with Nat West and went for paperless banking some time ago
and they gave me a card reader for some of the transactions. What does
it do?

Dave

Who cares?!

For one-off payments, write a cheque.

For regular ones, write to your bank with an instruction.

None of this sodding about with pin-sentry...and I do a fair amount of
online banking.

TF

Cheques apparently are not going to be around much longer.

Cheque Guarantee scheme closes in June next year and cheques
themselves are due to be phased out in 2018.

I rate it safer to pay by on-line transfer than post a cheque. Just need
to be very careful you don't get any account details wrong.

My mother wrote to Lloyds giving them all the details they needed for 2
standing orders. They sent her a form for one and a confusing letter.
After she rang them up they sent her a second form for the second
standing order.
I can set one up on the internet in a very few minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/10 12:21, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:

Cheque Guarantee scheme closes in June next year and cheques
themselves are due to be phased out in 2018.

How do they propose I pay a tradesman or buy a second hand car?

Just curious...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Oct, 13:40, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/10/10 12:21, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:

Cheque Guarantee scheme closes in June next year and cheques
themselves are due to be phased out in 2018.

How do they propose I pay a tradesman or buy a second hand car?

Just curious...

That remains to be seen
The UK Payments Council have mobilised a series of steering groups to
undertake a review of the future of credit clearing, with a primary
focus on mobile, internet and contacless technologies.

...blank stare...

In other words, they don't know yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/10 14:00, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 1 Oct, 13:40, Tim wrote:
On 01/10/10 12:21, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:

Cheque Guarantee scheme closes in June next year and cheques
themselves are due to be phased out in 2018.

How do they propose I pay a tradesman or buy a second hand car?

Just curious...

That remains to be seen
The UK Payments Council have mobilised a series of steering groups to
undertake a review of the future of credit clearing, with a primary
focus on mobile, internet and contacless technologies.

..blank stare...

In other words, they don't know yet.

Or they could leave a working system alone. Once the shops and utility
companies stop taking cheques (and a lot already have) they volumes will
be a fraction of what they used to be so they could slim down the cheque
clearing houses - perhaps just have a couple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 13:40:15 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Cheque Guarantee scheme closes in June next year and cheques
themselves are due to be phased out in 2018.

How do they propose I pay a tradesman or buy a second hand car?

Cash. Nice, soon to be 20%, discount for cash...

But an interesting point. I don't use many cheques these days but I
do have a couple of "tradesmen" bills coming soon that I will
probably be writing cheques for. Both are for more than I'd like to
carry about as cash, one will be over 2K...

--
Cheers
Dave.

OT on line banking Dr Hfuhruhurr UK diy 0 September 30th 10 12:33 PM
OT on line banking Dave UK diy 2 September 29th 10 11:05 AM
OT on line banking Jules Richardson UK diy 0 September 28th 10 10:40 PM
OT on line banking Dave UK diy 3 September 28th 10 10:05 PM
OT on line banking Dave UK diy 0 September 28th 10 09:15 PM