Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT on line banking

Dave wrote:
I am banking with Nat West and went for paperless banking some time
ago and they gave me a card reader for some of the transactions. What
does it do?

Dave

it generates a one time password based on your card number and pin, and,
I assume, the time of day and date.

so you key your PIN into it, and an 8 digit number comes up. That's your
one time password. Valid for however long.

means if someone has compromised the computer and is reading your
keystrokes, it wont work for them next time.

On reading the answers to this thread, I put my card in and it asks me
to 'Select Function'. Pressing the up/down button, it asks for my pin
No. Then says 'Enter Number.' What number and why is it so obtuse?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

On reading the answers to this thread, I put my card in and it asks me
to 'Select Function'. Pressing the up/down button, it asks for my pin
No. Then says 'Enter Number.' What number and why is it so obtuse?

The number show on the natwest page that prompted you to put your card
in the reader ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Dave wrote:
I am banking with Nat West and went for paperless banking some time
ago and they gave me a card reader for some of the transactions. What
does it do?

Dave

it generates a one time password based on your card number and pin, and,
I assume, the time of day and date.

so you key your PIN into it, and an 8 digit number comes up. That's your
one time password. Valid for however long.

means if someone has compromised the computer and is reading your
keystrokes, it wont work for them next time.

On reading the answers to this thread, I put my card in and it asks me
to 'Select Function'. Pressing the up/down button, it asks for my pin
No. Then says 'Enter Number.' What number and why is it so obtuse?

Because if you were using it in response to a page on the banks website
it would give you a number and tell you to type it into the reader.

Yours sounds like our Smile ones.

You type in the number given on the webpage into the reader. It gives
you another number which you then type in on the webpage for the
transaction to continue.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:24:40 +0100, Dave wrote:

Dave wrote:
I am banking with Nat West and went for paperless banking some time
ago and they gave me a card reader for some of the transactions. What
does it do?

Dave

it generates a one time password based on your card number and pin,
and, I assume, the time of day and date.

so you key your PIN into it, and an 8 digit number comes up. That's
your one time password. Valid for however long.

means if someone has compromised the computer and is reading your
keystrokes, it wont work for them next time.

On reading the answers to this thread, I put my card in and it asks me
to 'Select Function'. Pressing the up/down button, it asks for my pin
No. Then says 'Enter Number.' What number and why is it so obtuse?

If you have to actually use it, you get on-screen instructions on the
computer.

It's a generic device, and uses very generic terminology.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

OT on line banking Dave UK diy 0 September 28th 10 09:15 PM
Banking KD7HB Metalworking 0 July 31st 09 06:15 PM
OT but DIY for banking Broadback UK diy 16 August 4th 07 10:51 PM