Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quick & dirty ceiling repair

I've just patched the flat bathroom roof of an ageing rellie.

Water ingress has shot the ceiling, waterlogged fibreboard (remember
that?) with an overlay of 10mm polystyrene tiles.

I need to rip this down and replace it with the absolute minimum of
effort.

Best fix would be 25mm celotex or polystyrene with PB over but the time
and effort involved is excessive so I'm looking for a quick fix.

Taking a view on this, I would be inclined to put up foil backed 25mm
celotex, secured with regular screws and penny washers, and finish the
surface with an-other cheap textured ceiling finish.

If polystyrene tiles were still available I'd be inclined to slap them
over the celotex to make the quick fix but they seem to have
disappeared, so is there a current quick and dirty alternative ceiling
covering?

Fire risk is slight, the walls are full height ceramic tiled.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/10 18:38, fred wrote:
[...]

Plasterboard is pretty easy to put up over the celotex (it score n'
snaps quite cleanly and screws up through the celotex into the joists.
You can use small sheets (1800x600) for easier handling.

That would give you a fire resistant finish. If you were good with
scrim-taping and filling the joints (use taper edged board) you'd get
away with painting it directly. But if you don;t do the filling well, it
will look not good.

You could use artex - rollered on thin should give a fairly subtle
texture with some experimentation with rollers - then paint. Artex
doesn't have to mega-patterned. I've not done this mind - I'm merely
supposing it might work. It won't be as nice as a well skimmed ceiling
but it should be possible to get "fairly nice" with relatively low
effort. There is also an artex pattern that involves using a cloth
covered in a plastic bag (IIRC) to give a fairly fine "whirly random"
pattern - not pointy, and not strong - doesn't look as dated as some of
the artex patterns - seems to be the default for ceilings in some modern
houses.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tabby writes
On Sep 27, 6:38*pm, fred wrote:
[...]

If water's killed the ceiling, its probably killed some of the joists
too

Quite possible but not too scary as I should be able to repair from
below and it's not stuff that will be visible after the final finish is
applied. I'll go down one day to rip the ceiling down and leave it down
to let it dry out with a bit of gentle heat and plenty of ventilation
befofe returning a few days later to finish.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
On 27/09/10 18:38, fred wrote:
[...]

I'm trying to avoid and wet trades work at all. I could cut and put up
sheets of celotex, seal the joins, have poly tiles on and clean up in a
morning, I wouldn't even need dust sheets.

PB will be at least 2 days, with a lot more stages to reach a final
finish and a lot more mess to cleanup

The extra day and a half may not sound much but it all adds up when I
count up the number of 'little favours' I'm asked to do in a year.

You could use artex - rollered on thin should give a fairly subtle
texture with some experimentation with rollers - then paint. Artex
doesn't have to mega-patterned. I've not done this mind - I'm merely
supposing it might work. It won't be as nice as a well skimmed ceiling
but it should be possible to get "fairly nice" with relatively low
effort. There is also an artex pattern that involves using a cloth
covered in a plastic bag (IIRC) to give a fairly fine "whirly random"
pattern - not pointy, and not strong - doesn't look as dated as some of
the artex patterns - seems to be the default for ceilings in some modern
houses.

If I go PB, I am practised enough to get a decent finish first hit with
taper edge board.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:38:29 +0100, fred wrote:

If polystyrene tiles were still available I'd be inclined to slap them
over the celotex to make the quick fix but they seem to have
disappeared, so is there a current quick and dirty alternative ceiling
covering?

B&Q
Decolite Pebble Ceiling Veneer White
Polystyrene