Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson Motor noise - bearings

(Please no "you should have bought a Meile")

My DC07 is starting to make an intermittent noise from the motor which I am
thinking could be the bearings. I have looked at a video on YouTube on
replacing the motor but wondered if anyone has done anything to the
bearings. Could they be lubricated - or replaced?
Should I wait for it to die and replace it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:25:55 +0100, John wrote:

Should I wait for it to die and replace it?

Contact Dyson and get their, in your home, £69 service.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/support/help.asp?article=65

"Fixed charge service of £69.00 (inc VAT), fully inclusive of spare
parts and labour (excluding accessories)".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:25:55 +0100, John wrote:

Should I wait for it to die and replace it?

Contact Dyson and get their, in your home, £69 service.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/support/help.asp?article=65

"Fixed charge service of £69.00 (inc VAT), fully inclusive of spare
parts and labour (excluding accessories)".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Cough! I'm not paying that for something I would quite enjoy doing if it is
do-able.

Then again................

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 5:25*pm, "John" wrote:
(Please no "you should have bought a Meile")

My DC07 is starting to make an intermittent noise from the motor which I am
thinking could be the bearings. I have looked at a video on YouTube on
replacing the motor but wondered if anyone has done anything to the
bearings. Could they be lubricated - or replaced?

Why dont you find out, open it up & see if the motor turns smoothly or
lumpily.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tabby" wrote in message
On Sep 27, 5:25 pm, "John" wrote:
(Please no "you should have bought a Meile")

My DC07 is starting to make an intermittent noise from the motor which I
am
thinking could be the bearings. I have looked at a video on YouTube on
replacing the motor but wondered if anyone has done anything to the
bearings. Could they be lubricated - or replaced?

Why dont you find out, open it up & see if the motor turns smoothly or
lumpily.

NT

I now think it may have been the brush roll bearings skidding around on the
shaft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
writes

I now think it may have been the brush roll bearings skidding around on the
shaft.

Check out the clutch too, I've just changed one on a DC04 where drive
pulley to the brush bar had gone.

If it's that I think I paid 17quid inc post, plenty of sources of spares
out there.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:25:55 +0100, John wrote:

Should I wait for it to die and replace it?

Contact Dyson and get their, in your home, £69 service.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/support/help.asp?article=65

"Fixed charge service of £69.00 (inc VAT), fully inclusive of spare
parts and labour (excluding accessories)".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Cough! I'm not paying that for something I would quite enjoy doing if it is
do-able.

Then again................

We've twice had the man from Dyson in to service our DC07 - and the last
time was because the magic black smoke came out of the motor.

It's well worth it - you'll not only get a new motor, but he'll upgrade
other bits of it too - for free - we got a new cyclone (the Mk2), new
brush and belt and an internal flexy tube and we bought a new filter
off him at the same time (was an extra tenner)

Last time it sucked like a sucky thing, this time it positively growls.

It's well worth it every 3 years or so.

The chap that did ours - same chap that came 3 years ago was really
plesant to chat to - Dyson do seem to treat their staff well, but he
said the training course was tough - out of 10 or 12 who applied in his
batch only 3 got through!

And there does appear to be a trick with getting the motor in if you
want to DIY it... I thought he'd left a screw out, but he said you need
to give it a run before fitting the final screw to make sure everything
settles in - and that final screw is a bit of a PITA - you need a long
magnetic screwdriver to locate it...

Cue the DieSoon brigade here, but I'm well pleased with mine (and I got
it 2nd hand 7 years ago after it had been abused on a building site!) I
reckon it's now better than it was when it was new, and it's good to
see that they've still done a bit of R&D on a product to make it
even better.

Wash the filter every 3 months and it'll last forever. We bought one of
the hand-held ones recently too for doing the cars - great little things
and they now email us to remind us to wash the filters too!

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , John
writes

I now think it may have been the brush roll bearings skidding around on
the
shaft.

Check out the clutch too, I've just changed one on a DC04 where drive
pulley to the brush bar had gone.

If it's that I think I paid 17quid inc post, plenty of sources of spares
out there.
--
fred

No clutch on mine.