Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grand Designs on

Nine o' clock..............
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Nine o' clock..............

So is that the theme for this series then? No need to employ an
architect because you *are* the architect ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Owain writes
On Sep 22, 9:10*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:
Nine o' clock..............

So is that the theme for this series then? *No need to employ an
architect because you *are* the architect ...

Probably.

Even *I* don't like cable tray across the lounge ceiling.

And was the shower plumbed in electrical conduit?

Looked a bit like it.

They didn't mention much about waste water, wonder if it had to be
pumped away or were they high enough up the hill to run a drain?

I'm not sure I should admit it publicly, but I quite liked the idea of
the place, even the cable tray!

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
Nine o' clock..............

Yer a bit late. First one was last week ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/10 23:44, Owain wrote:
On Sep 22, 9:10 pm, Andy wrote:
harry wrote:
Nine o' clock..............

So is that the theme for this series then? No need to employ an
architect because you *are* the architect ...

Probably.

Even *I* don't like cable tray across the lounge ceiling.

WTF?! Did the architect confuse "house" with "hospital basement"?

And was the shower plumbed in electrical conduit?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep, 02:24, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

Nine o' clock..............

Yer a bit late. First one was last week ...

Arfa

Yes we all had a debate about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep, 05:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/09/10 23:44, Owain wrote:

On Sep 22, 9:10 pm, Andy *wrote:
harry wrote:
Nine o' clock..............

So is that the theme for this series then? *No need to employ an
architect because you *are* the architect ...

Probably.

Even *I* don't like cable tray across the lounge ceiling.

WTF?! Did the architect confuse "house" with "hospital basement"?

And was the shower plumbed in electrical conduit?

Owain- Hide quoted text -

Heh Heh. Dead right. I used to work in hospitals. Just about every
single thing
reminded me of a hospital basement. Terrible I thought.
And that f**k**g woman. She'd be dead by now if I lived in the same
house.

I have a zero energy home. That one had loads of missing features.
And a big wood fire too. This defeats the object of limiting
infiltration, you have to let air in for the fire. I can tell you,
without windows to the rear, it would be like living in a cave.
Especially with that big earth bank in front.They must have had the
lights on all day.
Bears out exctly what I said last week about architects. Big window
syndrome too as is normal with them.
I hope all these programmes are not going to be about architects.
******s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2010 08:28, harry wrote:
I have azero energy home. That one had loads of missing features.
And a big wood fire too. This defeats the object of limiting
infiltration, you have to let air in for the fire.

Not necessarily: you can buy sealed stoves that draw air in through a
duct. It's not even a new idea: growing up we had a "Baxi patent fire"
which used a duct system to draw air from the under-floor void. Very
good, it was.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Even *I* don't like cable tray across the lounge ceiling.

The industrial look let it down for me, but it's not as though they
couldn't plaster the walls and put a false ceiling in later. Turned out
lighter than I expected for an underground cave.

FWIR the solar thermal roof was positioned to catch the best sun, which
seemed to ensure that the PV panels were position to catch the shadows
(as shown during Kevin's final speech).

There's a website here

http://www.aipassivhaus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
harry wrote:

Nine o' clock..............

So is that the theme for this series then? No need to employ an architect
because you *are* the architect ...

What got me was:

Kevin "did you get the PP before you bought or did you take the risk?"
Punter "We took the risk"
Kevin "Wow!"

and then 10 minutes late it is revealed that they bought if off their father
for 5 thousand pounds.

Some risk - Not!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
Nine o' clock..............

So is that the theme for this series then? No need to employ an
architect because you *are* the architect ...

Probably.

Even *I* don't like cable tray across the lounge ceiling.

And was the shower plumbed in electrical conduit?

Owain

If it wasn't for people trying new things we'd all still be living in caves.
Er...hang on a minute... didn't they build a cave?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not hospital basement, library.

Many libraries use open ceiling for HVAC ducting and cable trays.

That said, it should have been boxed in - such as a fake lowered
ceiling with perimeter lighting. Much neater and actually cheaper than
genuine cable tray which is not cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

They didn't mention much about waste water, wonder if it had to be
pumped away or were they high enough up the hill to run a drain?

[From their website, not the programme]

Drainage was installed before the insulation/slab went down, they had a
honeycomb plastic rainwater soakaway and for foul waste an aerobic tank
a little way down the hill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

you can buy sealed stoves that draw air in through a duct.

They had a woodburning stove that did just that. Supposedly kicked out a
mere 1.2kW of room heat and 10kW for water heating to top up the input
from the solar panels to a heatbank. Also heat exchanger to warm the
fresh air intake from the stale exhaust air, with the ability to add
more heat to the intake from the heatbank if required.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:13:56 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

They had a woodburning stove that did just that. Supposedly kicked out a
mere 1.2kW of room heat and 10kW for water heating ...

Now that's an interesting stove, quite often to get a sensible amount
of heat into the wet system the room also "benfits" from rather too
much heat. Had a quick look on the website linked elsewhere and they
only mention the supplier of the thermal store not the wood burning
back boiler stove. Any clues to the supplier maker of it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
Nine o' clock..............

So is that the theme for this series then? No need to employ an
architect because you *are* the architect ...

Probably.

Even *I* don't like cable tray across the lounge ceiling.

And was the shower plumbed in electrical conduit?

Owain

If it wasn't for people trying new things we'd all still be living in caves.
Er...hang on a minute... didn't they build a cave?

mark

They were just trying to be controversial. Clearly it worked. We're
all talking about it now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying
something like:

And a big wood fire too. This defeats the object of limiting
infiltration, you have to let air in for the fire.

I'd be very surprised if the fire didn't have a dedicated air inlet
pipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

They were just trying to be controversial. Clearly it worked. We're
all talking about it now.

Well, like it or not, they seemed to build exactly what they had
designed (apart from toning down of the little colour they were
planning). Suppose there's not a lot they could change once the
concrete slabs were ordered.

Google snapped it mid-build

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=GL56...01373&t=h&z=20
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:13:56 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

They had a woodburning stove that did just that. Supposedly kicked out a
mere 1.2kW of room heat and 10kW for water heating ...

Now that's an interesting stove, quite often to get a sensible amount
of heat into the wet system the room also "benfits" from rather too
much heat. Had a quick look on the website linked elsewhere and they
only mention the supplier of the thermal store not the wood burning
back boiler stove. Any clues to the supplier maker of it?

Clearview?

I fitted a 650 but the 750 has 3 boiler options. 10,000BTU, 27000BTU,
and 45,000BTU.

They warn you that smoke performance may diminish with the boiler
options because the firebox is less hot.

I'm still collecting tuits to fit any boiler in mine but 12kW in the
middle of an open plan house is handy:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Now that's an interesting stove,
Any clues to the supplier maker of it?

This seems to be who fitted it, likely they supplied it too

http://www.hetasfitter.com/ideas/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying
something like:

And a big wood fire too. This defeats the object of limiting
infiltration, you have to let air in for the fire.

I'd be very surprised if the fire didn't have a dedicated air inlet
pipe.

Indeed it does. You can see it on some of the photos on
http://www.aipassivhaus.com/blg-june10.html

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep, 18:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

[...]

I spent twenty years heating a whole house with wood. I had fifteen
acres of forestry land. It's not a project to undertake lightly. But
then I cut and dried my own firewood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes

I spent twenty years heating a whole house with wood. I had fifteen
acres of forestry land. It's not a project to undertake lightly. But
then I cut and dried my own firewood.

I have counted up the dead and dying mature Oaks on this farm. Should
see me out:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep, 10:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

I spent twenty years heating a whole house with wood. I had fifteen
acres of forestry land. It's not a project to undertake lightly. But
then I cut and dried my own firewood.

I have counted up the dead and dying mature Oaks on this farm. Should
see me out:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Oak's good for burning. Most of mine was Western Hemlock. A bit of
beech.
The Hemlock is crap but I had lots of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep, 15:35, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris J Dixon
saying something like:

I'd be very surprised if the fire didn't have a dedicated air inlet
pipe.

Indeed it does. You can see it on some of the photos on
http://www.aipassivhaus.com/blg-june10.html

Cheers.

I wonder what the pipe connections are?

Grand Designs Andrew May UK diy 60 May 20th 09 10:00 PM
Grand designs George UK diy 12 January 31st 08 12:36 PM
Grand Designs Weatherlawyer UK diy 1 September 30th 07 07:30 PM
Grand designs George UK diy 17 April 2nd 07 10:02 AM
Grand Designs again stuart noble UK diy 22 October 21st 04 10:58 PM