Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another shed question

Is there any reason not to use ttreated C16 timber to construct my shed
given that is only very slightly mor expensive than the non-treated stuff?

Also I'm using a layer of blocks at the base with a dpm between that and
the first timber. Should I fix the timber through the membrane to the
the block of just let the shed sit on the blockwork? Fixing seems
preferable but will bridge the dmp.

thanks again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nicknoxx" wrote in message
Is there any reason not to use ttreated C16 timber to construct my shed
given that is only very slightly mor expensive than the non-treated stuff?

I was about to ask why you wanted to use 500-year old wood. I'm glad I
Googled and didn't! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep, 14:41, nicknoxx wrote:
Is there any reason not to use ttreated C16 timber to construct my shed
given that is only very slightly mor expensive than the non-treated stuff?

Also I'm using a layer of blocks at the base with a dpm between that and
the first timber. Should I fix the timber through the membrane to the
the block of just let the shed sit on the blockwork? Fixing seems
preferable but will bridge the dmp.

thanks again

My approach with shed building - yes now 4 - is to build the wooden
part off a single layer of concrete blocks. The 8 inch height is
adequate in my experience to lay the dpm and not give bother with
dampness tracking through the fixing bolts. I continue the shed
cladding down the blocks using screws and the plastic spacers you get
from Screwfix - keeps the rain off the blocks and creates a
ventilation gap.

One shed was a rebuild and had a floor with no dpm and the block wall
off that - the others have a dpm under the floor only and a block wall
from a concrete found.

The advice I was given by a builder was not to use a plastic dpm but
use a good bed of silicon in this application - the reason given was
that the silicon will never cause any puddling if there is any
moisture ingress.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nicknoxx wrote:

Is there any reason not to use ttreated C16 timber to construct my shed given that is only very slightly mor expensive than the non-treated stuff?

Also I'm using a layer of blocks at the base with a dpm between that and the first timber. Should I fix the timber through the membrane to the the block of just let the shed sit on the blockwork? Fixing seems preferable but will bridge the dmp.

thanks again

Did exactly that with the base. But I did make some u shaped brackets to go over the bottom timber and attach to the brick work to hold the shed down in a storm.

--
---
zaax

Shed roof question [email protected] Woodworking 51 October 31st 09 04:03 PM
Shed project question [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 13th 09 08:41 PM
Shed ramp question JohnnyC Home Repair 17 September 19th 08 04:21 AM
Shed wiring question... Rich UK diy 7 February 12th 08 10:22 AM
Another Shed question or two dave UK diy 2 January 9th 07 11:04 PM