Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mending an office chair

My office chair is not happy. The height adjustment on it has stopped
working and it is now set at the lowest level. If I try raising it (by
pressing the lever) nothing happens, if I physically pull the seat up,
it drops straight back down.

I've had a look at it, but there is nothing obvious (apart from a screw
falling out, and I can't for the life of my work out where it came
from). I'm not sure what the mechanism for controlling the height is,
either a spring or gas strut I would think.

Any suggestions ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Sep, 10:28, Adrian Simpson wrote:

Any suggestions ?

Probably your gas strut is now merely a strut, having lost its gas.

#1 New chair. These things aren't fixable, aren't intended to be
fixable.

#2 New gas strut. Unless you're buying containerloads from China, new
struts from strut shops cost more than a new chair from Viking.

#3 Another gas strut from another chair. Good fix in offices, as
there's usually a gradual attrition of chairs for different reasons
and you cna find spares.

#4 Convert it to a mechanically clamped chair, rather than a bouncy
strut. If it's your chair, and your chair alone, this isn't a bad
thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#1 New chair. These things aren't fixable, aren't intended to be
fixable.

#2 New gas strut. Unless you're buying containerloads from China, new
struts from strut shops cost more than a new chair from Viking.

#3 Another gas strut from another chair. Good fix in offices, as

#4 Convert it to a mechanically clamped chair, rather than a bouncy
strut. If it's your chair, and your chair alone, this isn't a bad
thing.

What Andy says, with the added proviso: *Do not* attempt to dismantle
the gas strut (unless, of course, you have a death wish). ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#2 New gas strut. Unless you're buying containerloads from China, new
struts from strut shops cost more than a new chair from Viking.

Worth looking at these people - the only downside is that delivery is
typically 5 days rather than next day (although there is a limited next
day range).

http://www.furnitureatwork.co.uk

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Osborne
scribeth thus

#1 New chair. These things aren't fixable, aren't intended to be
fixable.

#2 New gas strut. Unless you're buying containerloads from China, new
struts from strut shops cost more than a new chair from Viking.

#3 Another gas strut from another chair. Good fix in offices, as

#4 Convert it to a mechanically clamped chair, rather than a bouncy
strut. If it's your chair, and your chair alone, this isn't a bad
thing.

What Andy says, with the added proviso: *Do not* attempt to dismantle
the gas strut (unless, of course, you have a death wish). ;-)

And don't be tempted to weld anything near or back onto it either like
someone I knew once did!..

With rather severe results;(..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian Simpson
writes
My office chair is not happy. The height adjustment on it has stopped
working and it is now set at the lowest level. If I try raising it (by
pressing the lever) nothing happens, if I physically pull the seat up,
it drops straight back down.

I've had a look at it, but there is nothing obvious (apart from a screw
falling out, and I can't for the life of my work out where it came
from). I'm not sure what the mechanism for controlling the height is,
either a spring or gas strut I would think.

Thanks for the various replies (and the promptness), I think you've
confirmed my diagnosis. The chair is one that I use at home, so
cannibalising another one probably isn't an option. Looks like I'll
have to have a rummage down the back of the settee to see what I can
find in the way of loose change, and buy another :-(

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Simpson wrote:
In article , Adrian Simpson
writes
My office chair is not happy. The height adjustment on it has stopped
working and it is now set at the lowest level. If I try raising it
(by pressing the lever) nothing happens, if I physically pull the seat
up, it drops straight back down.

I've had a look at it, but there is nothing obvious (apart from a
screw falling out, and I can't for the life of my work out where it
came from). I'm not sure what the mechanism for controlling the
height is, either a spring or gas strut I would think.

Thanks for the various replies (and the promptness), I think you've
confirmed my diagnosis. The chair is one that I use at home, so
cannibalising another one probably isn't an option. Looks like I'll
have to have a rummage down the back of the settee to see what I can
find in the way of loose change, and buy another :-(

Adrian

It's worth visiting your friendly local used office furniture warehouse
and seeing if they have something second hand in good condition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 19, 12:21*pm, Adrian Simpson wrote:
In article , Adrian Simpson
writes

My office chair is not happy. *The height adjustment on it has stopped
working and it is now set at the lowest level. *If I try raising it (by
pressing the lever) nothing happens, if I physically pull the seat up,
it drops straight back down.

I've had a look at it, but there is nothing obvious (apart from a screw
falling out, and I can't for the life of my work out where it came
from). *I'm not sure what the mechanism for controlling the height is,
either a spring or gas strut I would think.

Thanks for the various replies (and the promptness), I think you've
confirmed my diagnosis. *The chair is one that I use at home, so
cannibalising another one probably isn't an option. *Looks like I'll
have to have a rummage down the back of the settee to see what I can
find in the way of loose change, and buy another :-(

Adrian

If its lost its gas, presumably its ok to drill through the lot and
put a bolt in, fixing it at one height.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#1 New chair. These things aren't fixable, aren't intended to be
fixable.

#2 New gas strut. Unless you're buying containerloads from China, new
struts from strut shops cost more than a new chair from Viking.

#3 Another gas strut from another chair. Good fix in offices, as

#4 Convert it to a mechanically clamped chair, rather than a bouncy
strut. If it's your chair, and your chair alone, this isn't a bad
thing.

The fourth option is the one I took with my chair. I found a bit of
metal tube which fitted round the extending stem of the strut[1], thus
stopping it from collapsing. The chair is now permanently at its max
height - which is where I want it.

[1] ISTR that I had to remove and replace the end fixing of the strut in
order to slide the tube over the stem. A bit fiddly, with some sort of
spring clip - but do-able.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Sep, 17:10, Tabby wrote:

If its lost its gas, presumably its ok to drill through the lot and
put a bolt in, fixing it at one height.

Yes and no. Assume that there is still _some_ gas pressure in there.

I wouldn't open one of these things myself, and I certainly wouldn't
heat one. However I do quite happily get one of my machines to open it
for me, either the pillar drill or the bandsaw. Either way though,
watch out for high-pressure gas and flying swarf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tabby" wrote in message

snip

If its lost its gas, presumably its ok to drill through
the lot and put a bolt in, fixing it at one height.

NO!

Whilst the strut might have stopped working it doesn't mean that
the strut has become depressurised, all that might have happened
is that the valves within the strut have become faulty...
--
Regards, Jerry.