Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Affixing skirting boards - easy methods?

I'm fitting new skirting boards to a couple of bathrooms in my house. I'm
using the 8" tall Victorian-style pine stuff that every builders merchant
stocks.

The walls are studwork. What is an easy, neat, economical way to fix the
boards in place nowadays? Something out of a tube, perhaps? I have several
surplus mastic gun tubes of decorators' flexible filler. Could I use that?
I have already painted the boards, prior to installing; I'd like to avoid
whacking nails though them if possible.

Thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 18:38, "AL_n" wrote:
I'm fitting new skirting boards to a couple of bathrooms in my house. I'm
using the 8" tall Victorian-style pine stuff that every builders merchant
stocks.

The walls are studwork. What is an easy, neat, economical way to fix the
boards in place nowadays? Something out of a tube, perhaps? I have several
surplus mastic gun tubes of decorators' flexible filler. Could I use that?
I have already painted the boards, prior to installing; I'd like to avoid
whacking nails though them if possible.

Thanks,

Al

There is special gunge in a tube available for this very purpose. One
for example is called "No nails". I find in practice you need a
couple of nails to keep the item in position 'til it goes off.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/85371
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote in
:

The walls are studwork. What is an easy, neat, economical way to fix
the boards in place nowadays? Something out of a tube, perhaps? I
have several surplus mastic gun tubes of decorators' flexible filler.
Could I use that? I have already painted the boards, prior to
installing; I'd like to avoid whacking nails though them if possible.

Thanks,

Al

There is special gunge in a tube available for this very purpose.

I guessed there might be.

One
for example is called "No nails". I find in practice you need a
couple of nails to keep the item in position 'til it goes off.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/8537

I figure that since white flexible decorators' filler (of which I have
several surplus tubes) also sticks like sh*t to a blanket, I might as well
use that. Anyone concur?

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
harry wrote in
:

[...]

No. It won't work.

No Nails, Gripfill, Pinkgrip et al. Known as 'grab' adhesives because of
their high initial bond. Use the caulk to fill any gaps caused y uneven
walls.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/17/2010 2:18 PM, AL_n wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

I used that for coving, a few years ago. Worked well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2010 20:26, S Viemeister wrote:
On 9/17/2010 2:18 PM, AL_n wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

For coving, yes: but as TMH rightly points, inappropriate for gluing on
skirting boards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

IME the skirting may need something to support it for an hour or so,
especially if you've been a bit mean with the Gripfil, but it doesn't
have to be fixings. A few bricks stacked against the board works well
enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 20:13, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
AL_n wrote:
harry wrote in
:

[...]

aye,
but IME the boards/walls are never 100% true and you end up
restraining boards whilst glue sets with a screw/nail or two or three
- when you get to 3 - you wonder WTF you bothered with the gripfil ;)

save the caulk for the inevtiable gaps'n'cracks that will appear
sooner or later (esp. in a bathroom)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On 17 Sep, 20:13, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
AL_n wrote:
harry wrote in
:

[...]

IME forcing the skirting to match a wall thats out looks wafty. Trick is to
use a generous bead of grab adhesive so the board sticks along all or most
of its length, then use caulk to fill any gaps.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-09-18, stuart wrote:
AL_n wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Another way - especially in a small room like a bathroom, and if you
need to bend the skirting slightly to conform to a slightly dished or
bowed wall - is to use lengths of timber wedged between the skirting and
the opposing wall on the other side of the room. (A very useful
technique any time you want to generate large compressive forces
temporarily, without causing any damage).

I stuck the skirtings in my bathroom on with silicone sealer, which worked
perfectly well.

If you've got completely true walls and totally flat skirtings - ie
there are no stresses / bending involved then there's no reason why that
shouldn't work; however that's rarely the case IME and far better to use
Gripfill etc.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On 17 Sep, 20:13, "The Medway Handyman"davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
AL_n wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Or whatever's left in your Gripfil cartridge. The solvent version starts
going off pretty quickly, so you need to get it off the faces PDQ or,
better still, be more careful applying it.

Skirting boards [email protected] UK diy 2 February 3rd 09 01:17 PM
Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves Cordless Crazy UK diy 12 March 12th 06 02:11 PM
New skirting boards Neil D. UK diy 2 January 3rd 06 08:47 PM
Easy way to cover old skirting boards with new ones? Mark Home Repair 1 February 28th 05 12:37 PM
skirting boards andrewpreece UK diy 9 October 21st 04 12:05 PM