Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling Kitchen: First Question

So I am tiling the kitchen between work surface and wall mounted
cupboards above. Plan is to remove face plates from double sockets and
tile behind them so that when I refit the face plates it gives a nicer
finish.

But what is the best recommended way to cut the hole in the middle of a
tile.?

I'm thinking of just marking out the position of the oblong shape on the
tile and drilling holes all around n then using a hand tile saw to
remove the piece.

Is that the best way to do it? Or are there better alternatives..

Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Ed wrote:
So I am tiling the kitchen between work surface and wall mounted
cupboards above. Plan is to remove face plates from double sockets and
tile behind them so that when I refit the face plates it gives a nicer
finish.

But what is the best recommended way to cut the hole in the middle of a
tile.?

I'm thinking of just marking out the position of the oblong shape on the
tile and drilling holes all around n then using a hand tile saw to
remove the piece.

Is that the best way to do it? Or are there better alternatives..

Ed

Angle grinder.

It is really, four inch angle grinder with diamond saw,just mark the
hole, saw from the front carefully till the saw just touches marks at
each end then finish from rear,the saw can go a bit over the mark on the
back without exceeding the front marks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Is it really that simple? With a steady hand , you just place the
grinder wheel on the line and let it dig through? I'm fearful the whole
tile will shatter .. ???

Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
So I am tiling the kitchen between work surface and wall mounted
cupboards above. Plan is to remove face plates from double sockets and
tile behind them so that when I refit the face plates it gives a nicer
finish.

But what is the best recommended way to cut the hole in the middle of a
tile.?

I'm thinking of just marking out the position of the oblong shape on the
tile and drilling holes all around n then using a hand tile saw to
remove the piece.

Is that the best way to do it? Or are there better alternatives..

Ed

Years ago I purchased a cheapo (Plasplugs branded) electric tile cutter.

Simple to use

IIRC it was 30 or 40 quid and well worth it.

Here's something similar:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=154390

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
So I am tiling the kitchen between work surface and wall mounted
cupboards above. Plan is to remove face plates from double sockets and
tile behind them so that when I refit the face plates it gives a nicer
finish.

But what is the best recommended way to cut the hole in the middle of a
tile.?

I'm thinking of just marking out the position of the oblong shape on the
tile and drilling holes all around n then using a hand tile saw to
remove the piece.

Is that the best way to do it? Or are there better alternatives..

Ed

Years ago I purchased a cheapo (Plasplugs branded) electric tile cutter.

Simple to use

IIRC it was 30 or 40 quid and well worth it.

Here's something similar:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=154390

yer but u can't use that to cut a hole in the middle of a tile. ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 3:38*pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

Why don't you just organise your tiles so that your sockets all fall
on the line between two tiles (assuming your sockets are all level
with eachother, this should be easy). That way you never have to cut a
hole in the centre of a tile - you always cut into two edges instead.
Much easier, and the electric tile cutter which do that just fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

It works, I do it all the time, Practice on an old tile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2010 15:38, Ed wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

Valid comment. Should have RTFQ properly.

Are we talking fancy and expensive tiles?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Ed wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Some guys suggest fitting a tile blade to a gig saw.. What u reckon
about that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

Why not move the boxes?

Then you can justy have straight cuts. Pity they'd be cut edged
showing in places though.

How much settlement are you expecting before you retile?

Or do you wnat them to last to time indefinite and have archeologists
step back in amazement?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

Of course, I have tried all that with tile gauge. And no matter, there
still 2 or 3 three that require central hole cut out..

I just looking for way to cut out central socket hole..

Can you help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

They are as they are. Given that, do you know how to cut tiles to
accommodate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:38:57 +0100, Ed ex@directory wrote:

Years ago I purchased a cheapo (Plasplugs branded) electric tile cutter.

Simple to use

IIRC it was 30 or 40 quid and well worth it.

Here's something similar:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=154390

yer but u can't use that to cut a hole in the middle of a tile. ?

Some years ago I bought a Plasplugs one because it said on the box
that it could be used to cut holes. However, the instructions said
that using it to cut holes was not to be attempted unless you knew
what you were doing. (When my kitchen was fitted I was out when the
tiling was done, otherwise I would have seen how the fitter cut the
whole for a power socket - it's been puzzling me ever since.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are we talking fancy and expensive tiles?

Does it matter??

It does if you absolutely need to get it right first time because you
have no spares and/or the tiles are darned expensive

I'd go with a flat bed electric cutter with the safety guard removed,
very carefully lowering the tile down by hand to grind the desired hole
from the glazed side... It would be necessary to cut to the corners with
a manual tile saw

It would make a hell of a mess...and I would expect to break a few while
trying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 17:20, Vortex7 wrote:

I'd go with a flat bed electric cutter with the safety guard removed,
very carefully lowering the tile down by hand to grind the desired hole

yup worked for me numerous times

from the glazed side...

eh? nah just mark the face and "feel your way" from the rear..

It would be necessary to cut to the corners with
a manual tile saw

no as you can overcut into the corners from the rear as noted earlier
and watch the progress of the cut from above on the face (not the rear
as you advocate), also the sockets etc face plates have an extra
allowance to take note of before mark up and before you consign too
many to the bin..

It would make a hell of a mess...

with a wet wheel not much more than usual?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

What makes you think you are going to need to? Most of the time you will
simply need to cut tiles to an 'L' shape.

You might need to buy some backplate extender screws from TLC.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

How big are these tiles then?

I've never had to cut a central hole & I've never seen it done either.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2010 16:54, Ed wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 15:38, Ed wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

It does in the sense that you probably won't get it right first time.
Drilling holes is easy when the tile is stuck to the wall, but not so
easy when there's nothing constraining the edges. One false move and
you're buggered, especially on the last hole.
I'd try a plunge cut on a tile saw as suggested, but a mini grinder
might be easier if it has a smaller diameter blade. The edge doesn't
have to be perfect behind a socket.
Cue suggestions for the Fein multimaster?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:

Of course, I have tried all that with tile gauge. And no matter, there
still 2 or 3 three that require central hole cut out..

I just looking for way to cut out central socket hole..

Can you help?

Options 1 nd 3 are not what you want to hear,
but perhaps option 2 will help.

Option 1: Persuade the Artistic Director that the choice of tiles
was wrong, and that you should go for normal sized ones (15cm x 15cm)
instead. Saves a lot of cutting problems.

Option 2: If you really do want to cut a hole in the middle, I suppose
you would get a decent ceramic drill and make a hole at each of the 4
corners of your rectangle. Then score the 4 edges of the hole in the
same way you would score a whole tile if you were going to snap it.

Then get a hackaw and fit it with a ceramic cutting blade. You need to
assemble the hacksaw after having inserted the blade through one of the
4 holes. If the tiles are big, this may be a problem as it will get in
the way of the hacksaw structure. One thing you could do instead is to
clamp the tile in a vise and, using an assistant, each of you gripping one
end of the blade with pliers, pull alternately.

This won't be as fraught as it sounds, because you don't need the cut
line to be particularly neat. The trick is to cut in a vaguely straight
line from one corner of the hole to the *diagonally opposite* corner.
Then cut the other diagonal. You can now snap the triangular pieces out.

Option 3: Instead of cutting a rectangular hole in the middle of the
tile, break the tile up and reassemble it. Like this:

Start by drawing the outline of the hole on the tile, in pencil
or fine felt tip with non-permanent ink which can be wiped off later.

+----------------------+
| |
| Tile |
| |
| +------+ |
| | Hole | |
| | | |
| +------+ |
| |
| |
+----------------------+

Then extend the lines to the edges, like so, except to the top edge:

+----------------------+
| |
| |
| 1 |
+-----+------+---------+
| | | |
| | | |
| +------+ |
| | | |
| 2| |3 |
+-----+------+---------+

Then score and snap along line 1 and lay the top piece aside.

+-----+------+---------+
| | | |
| | | |
| +------+ |
| | | |
| 2| |3 |
+-----+------+---------+

Then do the same along lines 2 and 3, setting the side pieces aside.

+------+
| |
| 4 |
+------+
| |
| |
+------+

Then do the same for line 4 and keep the bottom piece.

Reassemble the left, bottom, and right pieces, using some kind
of suitable glue. If the snapping was neat, the joins should
be nearly invisible.

+-----+ +---------+
| | | |
| | | |
| +------+ |
| | | |
| | | |
+-----+------+---------+

Finally stick the top piece back on, and you're done!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2010 18:29, Ronald Raygun wrote:
Ed wrote:

[...]

But those joints are never anywhere near invisible. Two U shaped tiles
might be a compromise I suppose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 18:19, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

d'ya mean "seen how it's done" or "never seen a tile with a socket/
switch mounted within it"?

I can help with the latter (and former) if rqd..

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

The latter

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

shame! they look excellent!

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-09-16 14:41:57 +0100, Ed ex@directory said:

So I am tiling the kitchen between work surface and wall mounted
cupboards above. Plan is to remove face plates from double sockets
and tile behind them so that when I refit the face plates it gives a
nicer finish.

But what is the best recommended way to cut the hole in the middle of a tile.?

I'm thinking of just marking out the position of the oblong shape on
the tile and drilling holes all around n then using a hand tile saw to
remove the piece.

Is that the best way to do it? Or are there better alternatives..

Use a Dremel with the tile cutting bit.

--
Gavin.

Moto Guzzi California Aquila Nera
Suzuki GSXR600K1
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gavin_wilby
Blog: http://www.eekafreek.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

But those joints are never anywhere near invisible.

They can be made pretty unobtrusive though, a bit of appropriately
coloured sealant or even paint would help. Totally invisible is a
pretty tall order.

Two U shaped tiles might be a compromise I suppose.

Actually, given what the chap said about the tiles having a vertical
stripe down the middle which looks a bit like a grouting line, that's
an excellent idea.

What you do is snap the tile in half vertically, along the stripe.
Then make the U shaped cutouts horizontally into the two halves,
working from the snap-line outwards:

+---------+ +---------+
| Left | | Right |
| half | | half |
| +---+ +------+ |
| | U-shaped | |
| | cut-outs | |
| +---+ +------+ |
| | | |
| | | |
+---------+ +---------+

Then reassemble:

+---------+---------+
| | |
| | |
| +---+------+ |
| | Hole | |
| | | |
| +---+------+ |
| | |
| | |
+---------+---------+

The glue join is then along a grout-like line and so will be less obvious.

One thing to note is that double socket plates are generally about 15cm
wide, so are guaranteed to be wider than half the tile width (12.5cm), so
must always cross either a tile-middle or a tile boundary (or even both)
and therefore, using this approach, there will never be a need to cut a
hole into the middle of a half-tile, and U shaped cuts will always be
enough.

Any single sockets or single light switches would of course create a
problem, but one could take the opportunity to double them up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:25:13 +0100 Ed wrote :
Is it really that simple? With a steady hand , you just place the
grinder wheel on the line and let it dig through? I'm fearful the
whole tile will shatter .. ???

Yes, it is this simple - with regular tiles anyway. To state an obvious point,
you need a diamond disk with a continuous edge, not one that has teeth -
something like

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48830/...ile-115x22-2mm

not

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/34350/...nd-Blade-115mm

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any single sockets or single light switches would of course create a
problem

I imagine this is what the OP must be trying to do

but one could take the opportunity to double them up.

That would be the easiest solution, unless he has a line of appliance
spurs, which seem to be all the rage in modern houses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:
[...]

The tiles are 25cm wide x 40cm high.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've never had to cut a central hole & I've never seen it done either.

My kitchen light switch is in the middle of a tile, although the fitter
did it by cutting out a big notch and making a small piece to fill the gap.

If I had to do it I'd use my Aldi multimaster-clone (I think the tile
blade was a B&Q add-on rather than in the box though). Angle-grinder
feels a bit big and beasty to do such a delicate job, though I'm sure
Matty F could manage it easily :-)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Ed wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Ed wrote:
[...]

Might work, but to much bother have to make hole And probably break tile
easier but try both, experimentation is all experience in the learning curve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
So I am tiling the kitchen between work surface and wall mounted
cupboards above. Plan is to remove face plates from double sockets and
tile behind them so that when I refit the face plates it gives a nicer
finish.

But what is the best recommended way to cut the hole in the middle of a
tile.?

I'm thinking of just marking out the position of the oblong shape on the
tile and drilling holes all around n then using a hand tile saw to
remove the piece.

Is that the best way to do it? Or are there better alternatives..

Ed

Just do as I suggested, I have never seen so much discussion over
something so simple.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 16:52, Ed ex@directory wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
On 16/09/2010 14:41, Ed wrote:

What is the best recommended way to cut the hole in the middle of a tile?
I'm thinking of just marking out the position of the oblong shape on the
tile and drilling holes all around then using a hand tile saw to
remove the piece.

Is that the best way to do it? Or are there better alternatives.

Why not move the boxes?

Then you can justy have straight cuts.
How much settlement are you expecting before you retile?

Or do you want them to last to time indefinite and have archeologists
step back in amazement?

They are as they are.

What white 6 x 6 inch special offers, or 24 x 36 inch street slabs?

Do you know how to cut tiles to accommodate?

You have had 36 replies counting your own. You should know what to do
by now.

I'd get a coping saw type cutter and drill an hole in the tiles with a
masonry bit if it were me and I couldn't move the boxes and was
getting cash for the job.

But a jig saw would do if you have one and can find a blade to suit.
As has been mentioned.

You still need a predrilled hole to start you off. (And of course a
suitable disposable bed to do the dirty deed on.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:08:36 +0200, F Murtz wrote:

Ed wrote:
So I am tiling the kitchen between work surface and wall mounted
cupboards above. Plan is to remove face plates from double sockets and
tile behind them so that when I refit the face plates it gives a nicer
finish.

But what is the best recommended way to cut the hole in the middle of a
tile.?

I'm thinking of just marking out the position of the oblong shape on the
tile and drilling holes all around n then using a hand tile saw to
remove the piece.

Is that the best way to do it? Or are there better alternatives..

Ed

Just do as I suggested, I have never seen so much discussion over
something so simple.

Agreed. This time last year I cut single and double interior holes in
300x300 tiles using a wet cutter with a good Macrist diamond blade never
having done it before and without wasting a single tile. I drew lines
right across the tiles outlining the position and size of the hole, put a
couple of pieces of tape on the cutter bed to indicate the line and extent
of the blade and very carefully and very slowly lowered the tile onto the
wheel. I got a bit wet but the results were excellent. My big concern
was with a tile where I needed to make a hole at edge for a socket and an
internal hole for a switch - I thought that it was likely that the tile
would crack between the two holes but the (quite expensive) Macrist blade,
good quality tiles and a bit of luck saw me through.

--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
[...]

bravo!!
exactement!
I've done it more than once that way (with a cheapo wet tile cutter
and stock blade)

Jim K

Elementary question on tiling a kitchen floor. [email protected] Home Repair 8 October 24th 07 05:50 PM
Tiling the floor (kitchen) Vass UK diy 8 February 28th 07 06:17 PM
Tiling the kitchen floor [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 29th 06 03:07 PM
Re-tiling kitchen - plastering question David Hearn UK diy 2 August 22nd 05 11:51 PM
tiling kitchen countertops frankg Home Repair 7 May 19th 05 04:15 PM