Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default Cable clips on stone wall

On 11/09/2010 19:29, alexander.keys1 wrote:
On 11 Sep, 12:52, (Richard Tobin) wrote:
How do you attach cable clips to a stone wall? If I manage to hit the
nail hard enough to make any impact on the stone, it makes a hole so
big it falls right out.

-- Richard

ISTR the proper way to lay small cables, that normally have nailed
clips, on hard walls, is to first screw a strip of wood to the wall,
and nail to that. Or you could fit a length of conduit, you won't need
bends or conduit boxes for sheathed cable, just straight lengths to
provide support and protection where necessary.

I use hammer-in cable tie bases, for example eBay 250694479160. I have
the opposite problem of old soft red bricks but the hammer in ones
should work on hard stone as well. You might have to experiment to find
the best size of drill. Great thing is when you want to change the cable
you just cut the cable tie and use a new one around the new cable.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:16:16 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:

I use hammer-in cable tie bases, for example eBay 250694479160.

Also available from Toolstation, Screwfix, TLC etc. I have
Toolstation ones, they need a 9mm hole in sandstone. 9mm SDS drills
are not carried in any of the sheds I looked in...

Great thing is when you want to change the cable you just cut the cable
tie and use a new one around the new cable.

And being all plastic won't rust and fail like nails will. Only use
plastic, brass or stainless steel for fixings outside or in places
that may get even slightly damp.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:16:16 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:

I use hammer-in cable tie bases, for example eBay 250694479160.

Great thing is when you want to change the cable you just cut the cable
tie and use a new one around the new cable.

And being all plastic won't rust and fail like nails will.

but use good quality black cable ties, otherwise UV will make them go
brittle and drop apart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sep 11, 9:12*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:16:16 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:
I use hammer-in cable tie bases, for example eBay 250694479160.

Also available from Toolstation, Screwfix, TLC etc. I have
Toolstation ones, they need a 9mm hole in sandstone. 9mm SDS drills
are not carried in any of the sheds I looked in...

Great thing is when you want to change the cable you just cut the cable
tie and use a new one around the new cable.

And being all plastic won't rust and fail like nails will. Only use
plastic, brass or stainless steel for fixings outside or in places
that may get even slightly damp.

Normal cable clips have normal steel pins, and I've never known them
fail due to rust.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In message
,
" writes
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:16:16 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:
I use hammer-in cable tie bases, for example eBay 250694479160.

Also available from Toolstation, Screwfix, TLC etc. I have
Toolstation ones, they need a 9mm hole in sandstone. 9mm SDS drills
are not carried in any of the sheds I looked in...

Great thing is when you want to change the cable you just cut the cable
tie and use a new one around the new cable.

And being all plastic won't rust and fail like nails will. Only use
plastic, brass or stainless steel for fixings outside or in places
that may get even slightly damp.

Normal cable clips have normal steel pins, and I've never known them
fail due to rust.

But are they 'normal' steel? They seem a minty bit harder (a bit like
OBO masonry nails) - apart from those you buy in the 'pound' shops!

BTW, I'd never heard of 'pin plugs'. I have used the smallest size
plastic 'Rawlplug' type, but the hole is usually too large for small
pins, and need plugging (hence my laborious directly plugging of the
hole first with decay-proof Plastic Padding (instead of wood).

Pin plugs sound ideal - if B&G really have them.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sep 12, 9:40*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:10:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Normal cable clips have normal steel pins, and I've never known them
fail due to rust.

I might take a photo of the run of clips along the outside here later
on, the nail heads are just a large red rusty lump. OK they are still
holding but it's only a matter of time before they do fail and
removal will no doubt cause spalling at each one due to the
expansion.

Anything "ordinary steel" outside here will be seriously rusty within
5 years. The quality of galvanised stuff is very variable, some
things are just as installed (but not many) others are rusty.

I'm of the "if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing properly, once".

I too am of that persuasion, but the industry uses steel pinned clips
exclusively, and no-one seems to have a problem. I have pulled 40 year
old cable off the wall and the pins have snapped due to corrosion, but
coax only has a lifespan of 15 to 20 years anyway.

Do you live on the coast?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sep 12, 9:55*am, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message
,
" writes
Normal cable clips have normal steel pins, and I've never known them
fail due to rust.

But are they 'normal' steel? They seem a minty bit harder (a bit like
OBO masonry nails) - apart from those you buy in the 'pound' shops!

They are a very hard type of steel, which is why the heads can break
off and fly like a bullet.

Bill

Cable clips on stone wall D.M.Chapman UK diy 5 September 11th 10 11:45 PM
Cable clips on stone wall jgharston UK diy 1 September 11th 10 07:50 PM
Cable clips Garry UK diy 4 June 7th 10 07:35 PM
Cable Clips!! BraileTrail[_2_] UK diy 23 March 8th 10 09:29 PM
Cable clips..... Vernon UK diy 21 May 17th 07 02:07 PM