Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default wall boxes for outdoor use

In article
s.com, alexander.keys1 scribeth thus
On 27 Aug, 19:08, "
wrote:
It seems that mild steel electrical enclosures, no matter how well
they are painted or coated, eventually rust away when they are mounted
outdoors. The top surface usually goes first, which can't be seen from
the ground when the box is high up, and the first we know is that the
contents are ruined. So for some time we've been using the plastic
ones, in particular those from CPC. These are expensive and tend to
have minor defects. Sometimes the backplates don't fit the enclosures!
Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Plastic boxes that are
well made and don't cost a fortune? Metal ones that don't rust? I
priced up stainless steel ones but they are far too expensive.

I'm talking here about enclosures in the size range 250x300x150 up to
1000x800x250.

Bill

Cast iron is the answer, it was used for many years for electrical
enclosures, but not by many manufacturers now, probably due to its
weight disadvantage. It does have many good points though, it is
resistant to corrosion, especially if painted correctly, and has an
excellent appearance which blends into the building, unlike the modern
alternatives which tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

One manufacturer who still uses C.I. is Lewden, check out their
'Weathertight' range:

www.lewden.co.uk

Dunno as if I'd like to lug a cast iron box up on a ladder and then
affix to a wall;!...
--
Tony Sayer