Robert11

Default Outdoor Electrical Boxes And Rain ?

Hello:

Will be installing a flood light on my deck.

Have purchased two of those outdoor rated Aluminum type of boxes, and some
PVC tubing
and connectors, and am all set to go.

Was wondering a bit about those outdoor boxes.

They will be mounted on the siding to take the wires that will go thru the
wall and direct them upward into the PVC pipe to where the light will be.
Then another similar box hold the light, etc.

The boses are sealed with an Aluminum cover plate and a gasket.

My concern is that over the course of a few years, the gasket will of course
become brittle,
and it seems like rain can then easily seep in.

Would it make any sense to drill a small "weep hole" in the bottom of the
box so that if
any water does get in from a malfunctioning gasket, it has a way to get out
?

Thanks,
Bob

David

Would it make any sense to drill a small "weep hole" in the bottom of the
box so that if
any water does get in from a malfunctioning gasket, it has a way to get
out

In the UK, boxes for this purpose have an IP rating (Ingress Protection).
Drilling holes in them is damage, and they then aren't up to the job. I'd be
inclined not to modify the box.

David
www.dodgy-diy.net

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
Was wondering a bit about those outdoor boxes.

They will be mounted on the siding to take the wires that will go thru the
wall and direct them upward into the PVC pipe to where the light will be.
Then another similar box hold the light, etc.

The boses are sealed with an Aluminum cover plate and a gasket.

My concern is that over the course of a few years, the gasket will of
course become brittle,
and it seems like rain can then easily seep in.

One of mine ius 24 years old and has not leaked yet. A few are newer, maybe
12 years. No leaks yet.

Would it make any sense to drill a small "weep hole" in the bottom of the
box so that if
any water does get in from a malfunctioning gasket, it has a way to get
out

No, It may let water out, but could let moisture and condensation in. Or
bugs. If it was a serious problem, there would be some warning about it.

DL

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Bob,

Even with a hole on the bottom, water could still get into the box, so I
wouldn't drill any holes, rather if you are concerned about them, buy extra
gaskets to be able to replace on some regular basis. These boxes are
designed to meet NEC code specifications. Mine have been installed for 10
years at my house and when I re-ran the circuit the other day as a part of
finishing our basement, the gasket was like new on the inside of the box.
The gasket is made up of a plastic looking foam, so I don't expect it will
ever become brittle.

David

Doug Miller

In article , Bert Byfield wrote:
Will be installing a flood light on my deck.
Would it make any sense to drill a small "weep hole" in the bottom of
the box so that if
any water does get in from a malfunctioning gasket, it has a way to
get out ? Thanks, Bob

Yes.

No.

As pointed out by others, this also provides a path for humidity, and insects,
to get *in*.

Furthermore, to do so is a violation of the National Electrical Code: the box
is approved for outdoor use _as_manufactured_. The hole introduces an
untested, unapproved modification to the box, and thus the box _with_ the hole
is not an approved device, and its use is a Code violation.

--
Regards,

borgunit

If the wires are terminated correctly (probably wire nuts and wrapped
in black tape) then there should be no issue. The only area to seal
would really be the wiring through the wall. Make sure you silicone
it, so no moisture is blown through by wind. Good luck.