Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for a massive font

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:09:08 +0100, geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Most modern fonts are scalable, so just go into Word (or whatever) and
pick a nice big point size. You aren't limited to the values in the
dropdown; just type a bigger number in the number box...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

--
geoff

You should get the idea from this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6359207_make-school-banner.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Um, Word? Although the drop down menu for font size just goes up to 72 you
can actually type other numbers in the box like 720.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stop and think...

Bear in mind that you will need simply gallons of ink and it will cost you a
fortune (and non-laser printer ink disappears the first time you sneeze on
it, let alone take it outdoors).

A better route would be to download some free stencils, or print *outline*
letters onto thin card and cut out with a scalpel and then use as stencils,
with ordinary outdoor paint, and a roller or sponge.

Lots of free stencil forms on line:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=let...ient=firefox-a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:09:08 +0100, geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Most modern fonts are scalable, so just go into Word (or whatever) and
pick a nice big point size. You aren't limited to the values in the
dropdown; just type a bigger number in the number box...

Ah - didn't know that

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Select 200 points?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Spamlet
writes
Stop and think...

Bear in mind that you will need simply gallons of ink and it will cost you a
fortune (and non-laser printer ink disappears the first time you sneeze on
it, let alone take it outdoors).

It'll be printed on a laser printer

YEs, I had thought that it might use a bit

I suppose a fibre tip might be less extravagant

A better route would be to download some free stencils, or print *outline*
letters onto thin card and cut out with a scalpel and then use as stencils,
with ordinary outdoor paint, and a roller or sponge.

Lots of free stencil forms on line:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=let...tf-8&oe=utf-8&
aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client=firefox-a

geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

I was going to say "Jordan" but realised that my eyes had inadvertently
added an "r" to the last word.

Errm why not just type in the size you want? I find that 712 point
Helvetica fills an A4 page relatively well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:

Stop and think...

Good advice, take it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

If you do it as "Word Art" or equivalent, you can have the letter with
a solid outline but a tinted or stripey middle. This can significantly
save on ink.

Proper printers don't use a substance that costs more than saffron for
printing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/10 21:09, geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

http://www.scribus.net/

does DTP and prints PDFs.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:09:08 +0100, geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

banner "fookin' huge" /dev/lp0

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
wrote
Owain wrote:

If you do it as "Word Art" or equivalent, you can have the letter with
a solid outline but a tinted or stripey middle. This can significantly
save on ink.

Proper printers don't use a substance that costs more than saffron for
printing.

Even when the manufacture sells ink for the same price as gold bullion
you don't have to buy from them.
For my Epson compatible ink cartridges (black) cost around 80p.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Final thing you need is a stapler to stop (slow down) the smart arsed
anagram fraternity.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Put interchangeable rubber stamps on the bottom of this?

http://tinyurl.com/3yhzhuo

;-)

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Use whatever font you want, highlight, press & hold Ctrl }.

I just got up to 700 odd with Verdana.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Whitworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character
a page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Put interchangeable rubber stamps on the bottom of this?

http://tinyurl.com/3yhzhuo

But, does it contain all knowledge?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , John Whitworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character
a page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Put interchangeable rubber stamps on the bottom of this?

http://tinyurl.com/3yhzhuo

But, does it contain all knowledge?

Everything contains all knowledge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 9:33 am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Owain wrote:
If you do it as "Word Art" or equivalent, you can have the letter with
a solid outline but a tinted or stripey middle. This can significantly
save on ink.

Print only the solid outline and fill it in with a paint brush.

Proper printers don't use a substance that costs more than saffron for
printing.

Carbon is selling on the Chicago Exchange for about 5 cents per ton.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:33 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
If you do it as "Word Art" or equivalent, you can have the letter with
a solid outline but a tinted or stripey middle. This can significantly
save on ink.

Proper printers don't use a substance that costs more than saffron for
printing.

Proper printers would still want to minimise the potential for
problems with sticking or drying on very inky pages.

Oh FFS. A decent printer produces dry copy, it doesn't spray expensive
wet ink onto the page.

Bloody amateurs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

Carbon is selling on the Chicago Exchange for about 5 cents per ton.

That's cheap fuel.
I could burn that in my charcoal stove.
Maybe its the crystalline form and nobody wants to add the air blower needed
to get hot enough to burn it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:09:08 +0100, geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Most modern fonts are scalable, so just go into Word (or whatever) and
pick a nice big point size. You aren't limited to the values in the
dropdown; just type a bigger number in the number box...

Ah - didn't know that

Is there a FOR SALE sign going in your old banger by any chance?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2010 21:09, geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

And, where is this fax going?

:-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Sep, 21:09, geoff wrote:
I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

If it helps at all, to save some trial and error, each 'point' of a
font is a seventy-second of an inch - so 72 point is an inch high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:09:08 +0100, geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Most modern fonts are scalable, so just go into Word (or whatever) and
pick a nice big point size. You aren't limited to the values in the
dropdown; just type a bigger number in the number box...

Used 600 Ariel - worked fine

600 was the maximum size I could use to stop the "O" exceeding the page
width (yes - too lazy to set the margins)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:09:08 +0100, geoff wrote:

I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

Most modern fonts are scalable, so just go into Word (or whatever) and
pick a nice big point size. You aren't limited to the values in the
dropdown; just type a bigger number in the number box...

Ah - didn't know that

Is there a FOR SALE sign going in your old banger by any chance?

Not yet

The beautiful, busty Anca

http://www.richersounds.com/stores/watford

second in from the left

was asking where my office was she thinks she can see it from her
bathroom - she lives opposite (So I now have to get a good pair of
binoculars).

There is now a large sign saying "HELLO ANCA" on my office window so she
knows where to look for the binoculars

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Lino expert writes
On 7 Sep, 21:09, geoff wrote:
I am looking for a way of printing text big enough to be a character a
page

Anyone know the best way to do this ?

If it helps at all, to save some trial and error, each 'point' of a
font is a seventy-second of an inch - so 72 point is an inch high.

Now there's a useful thing to know

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 10:30*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Spamlet wrote:
Stop and think...

Good advice, take it.

Have you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 9:51*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

That's stalking on a grand and brazen scale!!! Are you expecting
performances from her now she knows where to address her audience!??!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

So really you are looking for a massive front.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
larkim writes
On Sep 8, 9:51*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

All I need to do now is find out which is her bathroom ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

No I found that bit, no problem

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:16:47 +0100, geoff wrote:

All I need to do now is find out which is her bathroom ...

Make another sign and give it to her...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:16:47 +0100, geoff wrote:

All I need to do now is find out which is her bathroom ...

Make another sign and give it to her...

There's an answer to that, but I'm not going there ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:42:13 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:16:47 +0100, geoff wrote:

All I need to do now is find out which is her bathroom ...

Make another sign and give it to her...

There's an answer to that, but I'm not going there ...

I knew you'd say that!