Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stainless Steel effect paint

Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/25/2010 10:28 AM, Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

Andrew

On one of the home-improvement shows, I saw the designer use a (fairly
thin) sheet of _self-adhesive stainless_, to cover the front of a
kitchen appliance. I don't remember what the brand was, but obviously
the stuff exists - it could, if neatly done, look better than the paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/25/2010 10:28 AM, Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

Andrew

On one of the home-improvement shows, I saw the designer use a (fairly
thin) sheet of _self-adhesive stainless_, to cover the front of a
kitchen appliance. I don't remember what the brand was, but obviously
the stuff exists - it could, if neatly done, look better than the paint.

The problem with any type of laminate is that these drawers have a 6mm
radius on the edges so getting it to bend around it and still fit nicely
in the corners is going to be a bit of a problem.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

Colin Bignell

The don't give you much information do they? Is there anything on that
page that says how big a piece you get for that price?

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer
front to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

Colin Bignell

The don't give you much information do they? Is there anything on that
page that says how big a piece you get for that price?

Not as I can see, but this comes at £20 per metre x 600mm wide:

http://www.jafgraphics.co.uk/brushedsteel600.htm

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front to
match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the job
but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

Colin Bignell

When I saw "HSS" I assumed I was going to see a picture of an angle grinder
for some reason!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/25/2010 11:15 AM, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

I must be missing something - I don't see the product dimensions anywhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

I must be missing something - I don't see the product dimensions anywhere.

How long is a tin of paint?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

I must be missing something - I don't see the product dimensions
anywhere.

How long is a tin of paint?

Just about as long as a piece of string.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

I must be missing something - I don't see the product dimensions anywhere.

How long is a tin of paint?

how thick is your head?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer
front to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do
the job but I rather suspect that there may be something better
around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

I must be missing something - I don't see the product dimensions
anywhere.

How long is a tin of paint?

10% smaller than the room.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer
front to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do
the job but I rather suspect that there may be something better
around.

This may look better:

http://www.hss.uk.net/2222/product_detail.html

I must be missing something - I don't see the product dimensions
anywhere.

How long is a tin of paint?

10% smaller than the room.

It is clever stuff that paint. It always knows how big the room is.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

Andrew

How about using thin sheet stainless steel?

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

Andrew

How about using thin sheet stainless steel?

Bob

I think any form of stick-on solution is a non-starter because of the
radiused edges. Which is why I was looking for some form of spray-on option.

If I was starting from scratch then it I would probably use square edges
and stick on a sheet.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Any recommendations please on what to use to paint an MDF drawer front
to match a stainless steel oven.

Halfords have several different shades of car paint that might do the
job but I rather suspect that there may be something better around.

Andrew

How about using thin sheet stainless steel?

Bob

I think any form of stick-on solution is a non-starter because of the
radiused edges. Which is why I was looking for some form of spray-on
option.

That should not really be a problem for vinyl sheet. If I were using
real stianless steel, I would form the radius first then stick it on.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Aug, 12:10, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I think any form of stick-on solution is a non-starter because of the
radiused edges. Which is why I was looking for some form of spray-on
option.

That should not really be a problem for vinyl sheet. If I were using
real stianless steel, I would form the radius first then stick it on.

I presume the OP is on about the corners of his drawer where two
radiuses edges meet - a la skirting board external corner....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On 26 Aug, 12:10, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I think any form of stick-on solution is a non-starter because of the
radiused edges. Which is why I was looking for some form of spray-on
option.

That should not really be a problem for vinyl sheet. If I were using
real stianless steel, I would form the radius first then stick it on.

I presume the OP is on about the corners of his drawer where two
radiuses edges meet - a la skirting board external corner....

Jim K

Probably the best paint to look at is that sold for model plastic cars
etc. Tamiya do a very good chrome. Spray is needed too, and metallic
finishes are VERY tricky to get right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On 26 Aug, 12:10, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I think any form of stick-on solution is a non-starter because of the
radiused edges. Which is why I was looking for some form of spray-on
option.

That should not really be a problem for vinyl sheet. If I were using
real stianless steel, I would form the radius first then stick it on.

I presume the OP is on about the corners of his drawer where two
radiuses edges meet - a la skirting board external corner....

It might be tricky if the corner is also radiused, but I don't see a
problem with making a good joint if two curved edges meet at right
angles, which is what I would expect from most drawer fronts.

Colin Bignell