Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pluggable ceiling rose for outdoor use?

I've now converted several of our indoor pendant light fittings to a
Klik ceiling rose, which allows them to be easily unplugged and lifted
down, without tools.
http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...5mm--2m-length

Next is to fit a hanging lantern in the porch - an open-fronted
Victorian pitched roof affair. Is there any similar sort of device to
the Klik socket, which is weatherproof? Otherwise I'll be using choc-
block in a sealed junction box, and that means the pain of making
overhead choc-block connections at height.

I've used the Click CT100 connectors inside the workshop for a similar
task, but they're not weatherproof and nor will they fit through a
cable gland entry into a sealed box.
http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...ector-16a-250v

Klik themselves make an IP66 rated box and lid, but I've yet to find a
stockist who will sell singles.

Any thoughts on a simple connector for an outside light? Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Lewden PD213/3P and PD213/3S

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...13slash3S.html

They're not designed for ceiling hanging, so have no weight rating, but
the plug screws to the socket, so that's not going to be a problem; the
problem will be the strength of the cord grip in the plug. I would think
that 5kg is a reasonable rating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Sh*t, I just noticed the price! Ebay is your friend (eventually, maybe).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
[...]

I have converted cheap Screwfix 'porch' lanterns, both for the porch and
hanging in a tree over some garden stairs. (By converting, I mean one has
to carefully saw the bottom off to let the light shine downwards and enable
simple lamp replacement. Stupid designers...). However, the lanterns are
held up by chains so I don't see your problem: replace the existing flex and
you can use as long a lead as you like and connect it wherever you like (my
porch one goes to a photoswitch that controls 4 other outside wall lights
too: all 7-9W CFLs.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheaper than Lewden is a Clipsal Series 56 IP66 socket and IP66 plug.
The plug is fused and screws into the shuttered with clear cover
socket. I would say 5kg would be ok as with Lewden.

Ebay has a cheap socket - 220655745945 - £0.99 + £5 postage,
alternatively there is an isolator-socket combination which is -
300458491069 - £10 + £2.99 postage. You can get either of these from
Screwfix (search under IP66 socket).

Unfortunately screwfix no longer carry the IP66 plug (geniuses) and
the older PDL plug is actually better because it has a double
labyrinth push-through seal which will seal on small diameter flex
whereas the later version (bigger Clipsal series 56) does not seal so
well on very small (say hedge trimmer or pressure washer) or very
large (say 1.5mm H07RNF or 2.5mm H07RNF which is virtually
impossible); the rear seal design is an idiotic design and water runs
past it.

The lewden is well proven, often on Ebay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
I've now converted several of our indoor pendant light fittings to a
Klik ceiling rose, which allows them to be easily unplugged and lifted
down, without tools.
http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...5mm--2m-length

Next is to fit a hanging lantern in the porch - an open-fronted
Victorian pitched roof affair. Is there any similar sort of device to
the Klik socket, which is weatherproof? Otherwise I'll be using choc-
block in a sealed junction box, and that means the pain of making
overhead choc-block connections at height.

How waterproof does it need to be?

I cannot speak for your set up but quite often I would not consider the roof
under a porch to require any special waterproof connections.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:
I've now converted several of our indoor pendant light fittings to a
Klik ceiling rose, which allows them to be easily unplugged and lifted
down, without tools.
http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...5mm--2m-length

Next is to fit a hanging lantern in the porch - an open-fronted
Victorian pitched roof affair. Is there any similar sort of device to
the Klik socket, which is weatherproof? Otherwise I'll be using choc-
block in a sealed junction box, and that means the pain of making
overhead choc-block connections at height.

How waterproof does it need to be?

I cannot speak for your set up but quite often I would not consider the
roof under a porch to require any special waterproof connections.

Cheers
Adam

For some reason the hanging 'porch' lanterns which were the only hanging
ones widely available when I did ours, as sold by Screwfix (Amazingly
cheaply - I bought several.) et al, had the curious 'not suitable for
outdoors' note on the box. I could not actually see very much difference
between these and the side mounted lanterns, but, to make sure, I replaced
the flat flex with outdoor, thicker, round flex, and sealed with rtv. No
water has got into one that is hanging in a tree: unlike the waterproof
outdoor switch for it, which collected water behind it's flip cover, until I
sealed that with rtv too!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

#1 The porch is a cute Victorian gable roof with side walls, but no
gable wall to it other than the gingerbread barge boards. The socket
is an inch or so above a horizontal line from the lower edge of the
timber. It's not an exposed site and inside the porch is generally
pretty dry from rain, unless the wind is easterly (rare), but there is
some risk.

#2 I'm going to need to satisfy a BCO (or their agent) inspecting the
whole rewire afterwards.

I think the best option is to find a source for Klik's IP66 box. That
would be ideal, but non of my usual dealers seems to carry them,
except one who would need to special order them as a box of 10.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If a BCO is fussy enough to baulk at a non weatherproof light in a
porch, they might baulk at Klik which uses unshuttered terminals.

The Klik IP66 box from the photo is a bit of a "Masterseal" affair,
rather than an IP66 version of a Klik ceiling rose. So I am not sure
what benefit it has - the cord outlet is at the bottom so you can not
suspend a light from it as far as I can tell. A masterseal socket is
shuttered so has that benefit - that it is 5A supply off a light
circuit is immaterial.

If really bothered you can get an IP65 (Eterna?) 1G enclosure into
which you could fit an MK shuttered 5A socket thereby designating it
clearly as a lighting circuit whilst also being pluggable &
waterproof.

Unless someone is using a hose I do not see a problem with normal
wiring accessories.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Aug, 12:23, "js.b1" wrote:

The Klik IP66 box from the photo is a bit of a "Masterseal" affair,
rather than an IP66 version of a Klik ceiling rose. So I am not sure
what benefit it has - the cord outlet is at the bottom so you can not
suspend a light from it as far as I can tell.

My planned lantern would be quite heavy, so is going to be hung from
chain on the original hook. The cable will be separate to this.

I'm currently inclining towards making my own version of the Klik
IP66, as you describe. Maybe gut the insides of a Masterseal and
replace with a Klik or round pin socket. Masterseal aren't cheap (and
don't sell an empty, AFAICS) but they do have the right sort of lid
and cable outlet, and their sealing is far better than the other makes
of the same product (which I've generally found to be pretty poor).

I'm not sure which Eterna you're talking about, but all of theirs that
I've seen have had screwed lids and the only cable outlets are via
glands, which would pretty much negate the benefit of using a plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Aug, 12:23, "js.b1" wrote:

[...]

http://mrohms.com/shop/article_SSBE%2520Eterna/Eterna-SSBE-IP65-Waterproof-Enclosure-Single.html?shop_param=cid%3D103%26aid%3DSSBE%2520 Eterna%26

is an empty Eterna box.

You could put a 5 amp socket into it, plug the lamp into it and close the
lid. It will still be waterproof.

Cheers

--
Adam

Ceiling Rose with Two Switches and Ceiling Fan Issue Maria UK diy 0 November 23rd 09 05:00 PM
Ceiling Rose with Two Switches and Ceiling Fan Issue Maria UK diy 0 November 23rd 09 04:56 PM
Plaster ceiling rose Steve[_20_] UK diy 3 September 28th 08 05:35 PM
Ceiling rose wiring Frank P UK diy 11 May 28th 06 12:08 PM
Extendable ceiling rose thingy... Owain UK diy 1 August 16th 03 11:04 PM