Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Testing CO2 Alarm

Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

TIA
Charles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charles C wrote:
Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

We're talking carbon *monoxide* = CO, right?!?

Someone here once advised me to stick mine in a biscuit tin with a
lighted candle. It didn't go off; which was presumably indicative of
alarm failure rather than the test method, but I can't be sure!!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ZReco.148877$y_2.113405@hurricane,
Lobster wrote:
Charles C wrote:
Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

We're talking carbon *monoxide* = CO, right?!?

Someone here once advised me to stick mine in a biscuit tin with a
lighted candle. It didn't go off; which was presumably indicative of
alarm failure rather than the test method, but I can't be sure!!

I have an aftermarket wide band CO sensor in my car which was built from a
kit. I tried the candle in the tin method and it didn't react at all.
The official 'does it work or not' test method is to hold the sensor
vertical and inject some butane from a fag lighter, etc. Not lit, of
course.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charles C wrote:

Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

TIA
Charles

You mean CO not CO2.

The output from a lit ciggie will have some CO. However, not sure that would
be the best way as the other crap in the smoke *may* damage the sensor.

Wait around...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charles C wrote in
:

Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works
:-)

TIA
Charles

Carbon monoxide is CO.

Somthing like this:

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/Detectaga...tector-tester/

is what you require to be sure of an accurate and safe test.

(I'm sure that other brands are available)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charles C" wrote in message
Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

TIA
Charles

I would imagine that if you start your car and warm it up, and then put the
choke in a bit, then rush round the back and put a bag over the exhaust you
would collect plenty. On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to
be modified to taking the sample just after you've started up. Should be
plenty enough to bag up and waft over the alarm.

Otherwise get a smoker to breathe over it: it takes quite a long time for
them to get rid of the CO from the cigarettes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet brought next idea :
On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to be modified to taking the
sample just after you've started up.

Er, they have not used a choke for a good while now.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
Spamlet brought next idea :
On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to be modified to taking the
sample just after you've started up.

Er, they have not used a choke for a good while now.

and I believe it's pretty impossible to gas yourself using
exhaust with the advent of cats and engine management units.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:23:36 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to be modified

taking the sample just after you've started up.

Er, they have not used a choke for a good while now.

Presumably because most engines are now injection rather than
carburetor? But I suspect that the engine management will still
produce the effect of a choke when the engine is cold.

and I believe it's pretty impossible to gas yourself using exhaust with
the advent of cats and engine management units.

Probably not gas as in the sense of toxic but the reduced level of
oxygen might not be all that healthy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote in
. uk:

Spamlet brought next idea :
On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to be modified to
taking the sample just after you've started up.

Er, they have not used a choke for a good while now.

Bloody hell, I am getting old. I remember them well.
(could get a good loud backfire when pulled at the
right time)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Spamlet brought next idea :
On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to be modified to taking
the sample just after you've started up.

Er, they have not used a choke for a good while now.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Yes, and look where it got them: no way to stop when the also pointlessly
electric accelerator gets stuck!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2010 00:39, Spamlet wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
. uk...
Spamlet brought next idea :
On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to be modified to taking
the sample just after you've started up.

Er, they have not used a choke for a good while now.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Yes, and look where it got them: no way to stop when the also pointlessly
electric accelerator gets stuck!

No way to stop?
Are you serious?

You consider stopping your petrol car using the choke?
And this method failed with the advent of electronic fuel injection?

Most people simply turn the key off, thus killing the spark ( and the
electronic fuel injection ).

Now, running a diesel engine in a zoned hazardous area environment with
an atmosphere rich in unexpexted hydrocarbon gas: yes, that can throw up
issues. Extreme overspeed, as the governors throttle back the diesel
supply to no effect. Engine overspeed sensors then trigger
flapper-valves in the air intake for emergency shutdown, since shutting
off the fuel is not enough. But for a regular domestic car?....

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug, 21:57, "Spamlet" wrote:
"Charles C" wrote in message

Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? *I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

TIA
Charles

I would imagine that if you start your car and warm it up, and then put the
choke in a bit, then rush round the back and put a bag over the exhaust you
would collect plenty. *On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to
be modified to taking the sample just after you've started up. *Should be
plenty enough to bag up and waft over the alarm.

Otherwise get a smoker to breathe over it: it takes quite a long time for
them to get rid of the CO from the cigarettes.

Choke!!!! I haven't seen a choke for twenty years :-)
Are you driving a Minor 1000?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

TIA
Charles

I would imagine that if you start your car and warm it up, and then put the
choke in a bit, then rush round the back and put a bag over the exhaust you
would collect plenty. On nasty modern autochoke models that might have to
be modified to taking the sample just after you've started up. Should be
plenty enough to bag up and waft over the alarm.

Otherwise get a smoker to breathe over it: it takes quite a long time for
them to get rid of the CO from the cigarettes.

Choke!!!! I haven't seen a choke for twenty years :-)
Are you driving a Minor 1000?

His missus needs somewhere to hang her handbag ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charles C wrote:
Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

TIA
Charles

Oh dear, what do they teach them at Dundee these days

CO2 is carbon dioxide. It's not nice, but you need several percent in
the air to cause any noticeable effect. In fact it's in the breath you
breath out, not to mention the fizz in fizzy drinks. The first effect
is you feel short of breath.

CO, carbon monoxide, is nasty stuff. It only takes a few parts per
million to kill you. (I just looked: 30PPM is OK, 800PPM will kill you
before you wake up in the morning...). And often the first symptom is
death.

The easiest way is probably to wave it near the exhaust pipe of an old
car that has no catalyic convertor, or a new one that's cold and hasn't
warmed up yet. But I have no idea what the hydrocarbons would do to it.

perhaps you should check

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/safety/

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:29:08 +0100, Charles C wrote:

Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

It wasn't until someone mentioned Dundee that I put two and two together
and looked at the headers....hello Charles!

(I just push the test button)
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
wrote
(I just push the test button)

Some CO detector elements only have an operational life of a 2 or 3
years while the electronics last considerably longer. The test button
only checks the electronics and the battery. The detector element may
have already failed due to old age.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:36:18 +0100, Alan wrote:

Some CO detector elements only have an operational life of a 2 or 3
years while the electronics last considerably longer. The test button
only checks the electronics and the battery. The detector element may
have already failed due to old age.

Mine is suppose to have a 5 year operational life, after which it warns
continously and cannot be reset.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
wrote
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:36:18 +0100, Alan wrote:

Some CO detector elements only have an operational life of a 2 or 3
years while the electronics last considerably longer. The test button
only checks the electronics and the battery. The detector element may
have already failed due to old age.

Mine is suppose to have a 5 year operational life, after which it warns
continously and cannot be reset.

Does it actually detect that the detector element has failed or does it
just have an elapsed "time on" timer set for 5 years?

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 02:29:34 +0100, Alan wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
wrote
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:36:18 +0100, Alan wrote:

Some CO detector elements only have an operational life of a 2 or 3
years while the electronics last considerably longer. The test button
only checks the electronics and the battery. The detector element may
have already failed due to old age.

Mine is suppose to have a 5 year operational life, after which it warns
continously and cannot be reset.

Does it actually detect that the detector element has failed or does it
just have an elapsed "time on" timer set for 5 years?

Elapsed timer.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan writes:
In message , Bob Eager
wrote
(I just push the test button)

Some CO detector elements only have an operational life of a 2 or 3
years while the electronics last considerably longer. The test button
only checks the electronics and the battery. The detector element may
have already failed due to old age.

They are also very susceptable to be poisoned by other chemicals,
leading to even shorter life.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager said the following on 23/08/2010 00:07:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:29:08 +0100, Charles C wrote:

Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

It wasn't until someone mentioned Dundee that I put two and two together
and looked at the headers....hello Charles!

(I just push the test button)

Howdy Bob :-) yes that is me :-)

I am getting clobbered here for my mono and dio...xides. Entertaining
though ... I knew I should have kept the old SAAB 900 (twin carbs) would
set the damn thing off.

I have been having some work (gas) that I am not happy with and keep
reading the gas fire manual ... but a gadget that is guaranteed to work
would be nice (there again lifted carpets etc. the room would leak
plenty of air in).

:-)
Charles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charles C" wrote in message
Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

TIA
Charles

Of course, if you have a test tube handy, just heat up a bit of coal in it
and wave it under the alarm.

(Coal is that black shiny but hard stuff you can find on beaches and along
old railway lines.)

(A test tube is a sort of glass condom that used to be very useful for
testing things in.)

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet said the following on 23/08/2010 00:45:
"Charles wrote in message
Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

TIA
Charles

Of course, if you have a test tube handy, just heat up a bit of coal in it
and wave it under the alarm.

(Coal is that black shiny but hard stuff you can find on beaches and along
old railway lines.)

Ehhh? My neighbour has it in his coal bunker. What weird ideas you
have for finding coal.

(A test tube is a sort of glass condom that used to be very useful for
testing things in.)

Would galvanised and slightly perforated buckets do the same trick as a
test tube? I am worried about test tubes, esp. as you mentioned
condoms. I hear test tubes are used to make babies.

:-)
C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

Is there some way to test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean by
pressing the test button but giving it CO2 or ... to see if it works :-)

The few CO detectors I've used said DO NOT test with car exhaust or
similar as it will destroy the sensor. Dunno if thats due to CO
overload or other gases.

Test spray cans are available but iirc they're not cheap.

http://www.arctic-products.co.uk/pro...at1=48&cat2=19
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon C. . wrote:
The few CO detectors I've used said DO NOT test with car exhaust or
similar as it will destroy the sensor. Dunno if thats due to CO
overload or other gases.

CO from a modern car with a cat. is near non existent. Cars from the '80s
without a cat were down at perhaps 1-1.5% CO.

Car Lambda sensors work at a high temperature - they have heaters to get
then up to this quickly before the exhaust gasses take over.
I dunno just quite how the domestic ones work - they must be very
different.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Simon C. . wrote:
The few CO detectors I've used said DO NOT test with car exhaust or
similar as it will destroy the sensor. Dunno if thats due to CO
overload or other gases.

CO from a modern car with a cat. is near non existent. Cars from the '80s
without a cat were down at perhaps 1-1.5% CO.

Car Lambda sensors work at a high temperature - they have heaters to get
then up to this quickly before the exhaust gasses take over.
I dunno just quite how the domestic ones work - they must be very
different.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman

We have one of those gas fires with a cat in to consume its own fumes. The
local firemen came and stuck a detector on the ceiling - nearby: not sure if
it detects CO though. What I know it does not detect is the fact that you
can't use the fire without opening the windows and doors to let some air in.
Do they do oxygen detectors?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon C. . wrote:
The few CO detectors I've used said DO NOT test with car exhaust or
similar as it will destroy the sensor. Dunno if thats due to CO
overload or other gases.

CO from a modern car with a cat. is near non existent. Cars from the '80s
without a cat were down at perhaps 1-1.5% CO.

Last MOT mine was too low to be measured and that's a diesel.

Car Lambda sensors work at a high temperature - they have heaters to get
then up to this quickly before the exhaust gasses take over.
I dunno just quite how the domestic ones work - they must be very
different.

I used to have a mains powered one that was hot.
However the current one runs on batteries so must work differently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Car Lambda sensors work at a high temperature - they have heaters to
get then up to this quickly before the exhaust gasses take over. I
dunno just quite how the domestic ones work - they must be very
different.

I used to have a mains powered one that was hot.
However the current one runs on batteries so must work differently.

I must admit to not understanding the chemistry involved. Car Lambda
sensors measure IIRC O2 in the exhaust, but the electronics can calculate
CO from that, and accurately. But need to be very hot to do so.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Testing fire/smoke alarm PeteS[_3_] UK diy 20 December 2nd 09 10:06 PM
Smoke alarm testing - PING Bob Eager ARWadsworth UK diy 1 November 27th 09 08:44 PM
Testing a CO alarm Lobster UK diy 18 November 7th 09 07:26 PM
Testing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm Freckles Home Repair 8 February 12th 07 04:28 AM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM