Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which white gloss?

I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and
stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed
down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in
eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as
this is the top of the mountain......
Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 07:08, Harry wrote:
I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and
stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed
down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in
eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as
this is the top of the mountain......
Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?

How are you Harry when I'm Harry? :-)
Expensive paints cover bettr & you need less coats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry wrote:
I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and
stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed
down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in
eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as
this is the top of the mountain......
Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?

If staying white is important, a water based one is likely better.

I used B&Q own brand water based stuff in my hall and stairs a couple of
years ago and it seems to be resisting chipping etc well. But the stuff I
used is neither white or gloss. ;-)

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 07:08, Harry wrote:
I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and
stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed
down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in
eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as
this is the top of the mountain......
Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?

International High Gloss White Radiator Enamel. It's expensive and the
solvent absolutely stinks the house out. But it's very glossy and hard
wearing (unlike water based "gloss") and very bright white and stays
that way (unlike alkyd based paints).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 01:15:23 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On 20 Aug, 07:08, Harry wrote:
I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and
stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed
down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in
eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as
this is the top of the mountain......
Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?

How are you Harry when I'm Harry? :-)
Expensive paints cover bettr & you need less coats.

But I'm a capitol fellow...
I can buy "expensive" but was hoping for advice on quality too :-)
I've never used "trade" paints and was wondering whether they were
really worth the extra layout.
I did use a B&Q gloss in their bathroom about six months back and have
to say it's already showing as yellowing. My own last house was
lathered in whatever came to hand and, to be honest, one finish never
looked any different to another to me. I'm trying to "do it right"
this time though, hence the ask and if it works OK at the daughter's
I'll be going on to tackle my place - so I've been told....
This morning a local shop tried to steer me towards Johnstone's,
telling me it's made by Leyland, but I'm still in a browsing,
pondering mode rather than a hands in pocket for cash one. Locally
I've an apparant choice from Berger,the cheapest, Crown Trade, Dulux
and the two aforementioned, but, apart from pounds in price difference
don't know which to go for - although I do like the idea of water
based.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry wrote:
[...]

I've used the Sikkens Rubbol paint and like it a lot. It is water based,
dries very quickly. Top coat can go on after three-four hours although I
usually leave it overnight. I used it because it was the only true matt
paint that I could find and that was what I was after. But they do a
gloss as well.

http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Products...l/RubbolAZ.htm

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry wrote:
I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and
stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed
down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in
eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as
this is the top of the mountain......
Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?

Having tried others, I now only buy Dulux. It is widely available and
very reliable.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry" wrote in message
I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and
stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed
down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in
eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as
this is the top of the mountain......
Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?

I painted some internal woodwork with several coats of oil-based brilliant
white non-drip gloss a few months ago, and it's already yellower than I
would like.
The woodwork is in a room that gets very little natural light. I've read
that illumination helps to prevent yellowing.

On the other hand, it might just be because I didn't stir the paint enough
or prepare the surfaces properly.

In any case, I'm going to try water-based paints next time I want white
indoors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:06:19 +0100, "MuddyFork"
gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

"Harry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I undersstand the brilliant white was first designed for exterior work
as it needed UV light to stay white.
I use Duklux trade .. steer clear of the non drip and one coat
versions you get in the sheds. They can be hard to apply and can never
be rubbed down.

Mike P the 1st
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
I undersstand the brilliant white was first designed for exterior work
as it needed UV light to stay white...

It was widely recommended for exterior work when introduced because,
unlike white lead, titanium dioxide does not discolour when exposed to
atmospheric sulphur from coal fires.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:33:44 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

Mike P the 1st wrote:
I undersstand the brilliant white was first designed for exterior work
as it needed UV light to stay white...

It was widely recommended for exterior work when introduced because,
unlike white lead, titanium dioxide does not discolour when exposed to
atmospheric sulphur from coal fires.

So...is the consensus that, whatever the brand, it _is_ worth paying
extra for a trade gloss?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
I undersstand the brilliant white was first designed for exterior work
as it needed UV light to stay white...

It was widely recommended for exterior work when introduced because,
unlike white lead, titanium dioxide does not discolour when exposed to
atmospheric sulphur from coal fires.

So...is the consensus that, whatever the brand, it _is_ worth paying
extra for a trade gloss?

Not IMO. Just buy any solvent based "liquid gloss". It's the resin that
discolours in UV rather than the pigment I think. Water based acrylics
stay white, the downside being that they're not very tough
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
I undersstand the brilliant white was first designed for exterior work
as it needed UV light to stay white...

It was widely recommended for exterior work when introduced because,
unlike white lead, titanium dioxide does not discolour when exposed to
atmospheric sulphur from coal fires.

So...is the consensus that, whatever the brand, it _is_ worth paying
extra for a trade gloss?

Not IMO. Just buy any solvent based "liquid gloss". It's the resin that
discolours in UV rather than the pigment I think. Water based acrylics
stay white, the downside being that they're not very tough

OK, looks as if I'm off to buy a water based acrylic then - it's safe
enough on the stairs and can be touched in when and if. Many thanks to
one and all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry wrote:
OK, looks as if I'm off to buy a water based acrylic then - it's safe
enough on the stairs and can be touched in when and if. Many thanks to
one and all.

At least it should match some years afterwards to clean old paint.

FWIW, I've found the B&Q water based stuff as good as solvent based on my
stairs chip wise. Think it was more expensive, though.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 07:08, Harry wrote:
I've been nominated, as in ordered, to paint the hall, landing and
stairs at our daughter's place prior to her having new carpet nailed
down. I thought to do a job which I won't have to return to in
eighteen months time because the white has faded or gone yellow and as
this is the top of the mountain......
Is there a particular white gloss paint to be recommended?

For what it's worth, some tradesfolk on the Screwfix decorating forum
tend to recommend Crown Solo. I've been using it for a while and find
it goes on well, runs not a lot and gives a good shiny surface. What
I've never been able to do, with that or any other "one coat" paint,
is get a good finish with only one coat; I find it needs two for
coverage and three for a deep shine. Does give a lovely shine though,
if you like shiny. I expect it yellows though.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 17:26, geraldthehamster wrote:
On 20 Aug, 07:08, Harry wrote:

[...]

Several years ago, I had my parent's house decorated inside, he used
Permoglaze, which has not been mentioned here. The white gloss is
still bright, no yellowing anywhere. I cannot recall when I last saw
it on sale, it does not seem to be in B & Q etc, but found website
listing it.

White gloss paint not fully set Lobster UK diy 17 March 9th 10 10:27 PM
Recommended brilliant white gloss? Andy[_14_] UK diy 3 October 10th 08 11:34 PM
white gloss paint [email protected] UK diy 11 December 20th 07 09:07 AM
White gloss paint Geoff Berrow UK diy 16 August 13th 07 09:10 AM
White Gloss Veneer Trim (???) [email protected] UK diy 2 May 17th 06 02:15 PM