Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Way OT Rant - noisy kids

Let me start off by saying that I understand, I appreciate, and I know that
kids make noise. They are _designed_ to make noise and they do. I'm sure I
did when I was a kid. The difference then though, was that when we made
noise, we played out. We had a derelict piece of land where a factory had
been demolished which made do as our football pitch, our cricket pitch and
many other things. Or we used to play on the parks, in the woods or even
down at the river.

What we did not do was to create interminable noise in our own back
yards/gardens.

There's a family live over the back - and four houses down - from me who
have four kids of their own and who often have kids friends around as well.
At the merest hint of dry weather all the kids play out in the back garden,
creating so much noise that at least 10 houses around their epicentre cannot
use their own gardens. We've just had our first dry, sunny day for weeks but
could we get the chairs out in the garden and enjoy it? Could we hell.

About 500yds from here, round the back of the newsagents is a wood, complete
with a stream. They should be spending hours down there, exploring, climbing
trees, building dens, whatever.

Rant over ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 19:15, "Fred" wrote:

About 500yds from here, round the back of the newsagents is a wood, complete
with a stream. They should be spending hours down there, exploring, climbing
trees, building dens, whatever.

Don't be so ridiculous. They will be attacked by paedophiles, foxes,
knifemen, bogeymen and rottweilers before you can say Daily Mail. How
would you like that on your conscience?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:58:40 -0700, Anita Palley wrote:

On 15 Aug, 19:15, "Fred" wrote:

About 500yds from here, round the back of the newsagents is a wood,
complete with a stream. They should be spending hours down there,
exploring, climbing trees, building dens, whatever.

Don't be so ridiculous. They will be attacked by paedophiles, foxes,
knifemen, bogeymen and rottweilers before you can say Daily Mail. How
would you like that on your conscience?

Is that before or after they've broken bones by falling out of the tree,
or drowned in the stream? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 19:15, "Fred" wrote:

About 500yds from here, round the back of the newsagents is a wood,
complete with a stream. They should be spending hours down there,
exploring, climbing trees, building dens, whatever.

Don't be so ridiculous. They will be attacked by paedophiles, foxes,
knifemen, bogeymen and rottweilers before you can say Daily Mail. How
would you like that on your conscience?

Is that before or after they've broken bones by falling out of the tree,

Broken bones heal. Most kids manage to break something while they're
growing up. So long as it's not more serious (and was not from violence)
it's probably of little consequence in the long run.

--
www.thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/page1.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 19:15, "Fred" wrote:

About 500yds from here, round the back of the newsagents is a wood,
complete with a stream. They should be spending hours down there,
exploring, climbing trees, building dens, whatever.
Don't be so ridiculous. They will be attacked by paedophiles, foxes,
knifemen, bogeymen and rottweilers before you can say Daily Mail. How
would you like that on your conscience?

Is that before or after they've broken bones by falling out of the tree,

Broken bones heal. Most kids manage to break something while they're
growing up. So long as it's not more serious (and was not from violence)
it's probably of little consequence in the long run.

I had a very active young life, and have never broken more than a couple
of windows as a child.

I did crack some ribs much later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:39:01 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Broken bones heal. Most kids manage to break something while they're
growing up. So long as it's not more serious (and was not from
violence) it's probably of little consequence in the long run.

I had a very active young life, and have never broken more than a couple
of windows as a child.

Yes, me too. One of those windows I managed to actually fall through, and
came away with only one minor cut. I lost count of how many trees I fell
out of, how many times I got mains shocks, burned myself, stepped on
sharp things etc.

Kids do heal amazingly well. The daughter of one of my friends recently
got her finger caught in a door and it pulled the whole tip off, leaving
just the bone sticking out; they rushed her to the hospital with the tip
in a pocket, and the surgeon stuck it back on - they expect her to make a
full recovery, but were told that if she were a few years older they
perhaps wouldn't have bothered even trying because it almost certainly
wouldn't heal.

None of which changes the fact that most parents today are very reluctant
to let their kids wander off and do their own thing, for fear of what
might happen (and I'm sitting on the fence about whether I think that's
justified or not).

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message

Broken bones heal. Most kids manage to break something while they're
growing up. So long as it's not more serious (and was not from violence)
it's probably of little consequence in the long run.

Quite true, I managed to break six, maybe seven bones.
None of them were mine though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 19:15, "Fred" wrote:

About 500yds from here, round the back of the newsagents is a wood,
complete with a stream. They should be spending hours down there,
exploring, climbing trees, building dens, whatever.

Don't be so ridiculous. They will be attacked by paedophiles, foxes,
knifemen, bogeymen and rottweilers before you can say Daily Mail. How
would you like that on your conscience?

Is that before or after they've broken bones by falling out of the tree,
or drowned in the stream? :-)

Before.

Raping corpses is necrophilia, not paedophilia.

Mind you, foxes would make short work of any corpses. That's Animal
Rights innit?

Unless it wasn't foxes, but Rottweilers, when its Dangerous Dogs.

And of course chasing foxes on horseback with Rottweilers is something
else again.

I long for the days when parents who let kids break through chain link
fencing with bolt cutters, and who got splatted by a train, would find
themselves in court on a charge of not keeping them on a lead, or
training them properly. Nowadays they get to sue the railway company for
billions...

Let's print up some signs saying 'children only permitted on leads, and
kiddie crap must be placed in a plastic bag and deposited in the waste
baskets, and if vociferous or actively aggressive, they must be muzzled
as well'

And we could bring in 'children licenses' such that kids who became a
nuisance would be taken to the pound, and then orphanages and if not
found suitable homes in a reasonable period of time, destroyed, and
their owners fined. Assuming they had collars with name tags. If not,
shoot on sight, as pure vermin, sounds a reasonable way to reduce
nuisance and national carbon footprint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And we could bring in 'children licenses' such that kids who became a
nuisance would be taken to the pound, and then orphanages and if not
found suitable homes in a reasonable period of time, destroyed, and
their owners fined.

I always think it incongruous, that we make great play of the fact that
a puppy is not just for Christmas, but for life, whereas no such duty of
care is emphasised for deciding to have a baby.

I did say to my niece that you are not having a baby but a teenager and
I *think* it struck home, judging by the screwed up nose.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 15:38, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

And of course chasing foxes on horseback with Rottweilers is something
else again.

How do they get their paws in the stirrups?

--
Halmyre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
And of course chasing foxes on horseback with Rottweilers is something
else again.

How do they get their paws in the stirrups?

That be a secret known only to true Nar-folk.

I could tell you, but my dog would have to kill you.

--
Halmyre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 23:22:11 -0700, Halmyre wrote:

On 16 Aug, 15:38, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And of course chasing foxes on horseback with Rottweilers is something
else again.

How do they get their paws in the stirrups?

Thankyou for emptying my mouth of coffee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2010 20:15, Fred wrote:
Let me start off by saying that I understand, I appreciate, and I know that
kids make noise. They are _designed_ to make noise and they do.

Industrial ear defenders? I'm tempted to suggest angle-grinder but that
would probably be illegal.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:15:34 +0100, Fred wrote:

There's a family live over the back - and four houses down - from me who
have four kids of their own and who often have kids friends around as well.
At the merest hint of dry weather all the kids play out in the back garden,
creating so much noise that at least 10 houses around their epicentre cannot
use their own gardens. We've just had our first dry, sunny day for weeks but
could we get the chairs out in the garden and enjoy it? Could we hell.

I know *exactly* how you feel :-( We had years and years of this from our
next door neighbours 2 young daughters + friends - noise noise noise all
the time in their garden. Once I asked their mother to please stop them
making the noise (went on for hours and hours). She said she'd ask them but
didn't think they would agree !!!

They are now in their teens and we thought the noise had finished. Had a
BBQ a few weeks back and suddenly *very* loud BOOM BOOM BOOM music came
from next door's garden. Packed up the BBQ half way through, went back into
the house and closed all windows and doors :-( Seems their father had
equipped their summerhouse with the latest BOOM BOOM sound system. I went
back out and got my shredder (*Very* loud Allen petrol shredder), placed it
by the hedge next to their summerhouse, started it up and went back into
the house. Not long before the father was round here demanding that we turn
it off. I left it on for a bit longer and then turned it off. We've not
heard any loud music since then :-) Don't think we've heard the last of it
though - they are *always* right ...... :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 8:39*pm, Hugh Jampton wrote:
equipped their summerhouse with the latest BOOM BOOM sound system. I went
back out and got my shredder (*Very* loud Allen petrol shredder), placed it
by the hedge next to their summerhouse, started it up and went back into
the house. Not long before the father was round here demanding that we turn
it off. I left it on for a bit longer and then turned it off. We've not
heard any loud music since then :-)

Thats a great story! Fight fire with fire. For the under 20s, you can
get those plug in ultrasonic cat/dog deterrents that emit a mosquito
type noise that us golden oldies can't hear (google 'the mosquito')

For the OP according to wiki, the mosquito has a max range of 61
metres. Pretty pricey though and I wonder if you could rig something
similar up to a hi-fi speaker in the garden for when they are really
noisy.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Starling" wrote

[...]

There was a report on the use of those things recently.
A shop owner was using one to good effect, keeping local misfits away from
his shop doorway (they were intimidating shoppers and killing his trade).
ISTR that there were complaints that this violated the rights not just of
the misfits, but also of passers by.
Because they are effective you can be sure that they'll be banned soon by
european beurocracy.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 15, 8:39 pm, Hugh Jampton wrote:
equipped their summerhouse with the latest BOOM BOOM sound system. I
went back out and got my shredder (*Very* loud Allen petrol
shredder), placed it by the hedge next to their summerhouse, started
it up and went back into the house. Not long before the father was
round here demanding that we turn it off. I left it on for a bit
longer and then turned it off. We've not heard any loud music since
then :-)

Thats a great story! Fight fire with fire.

I usually do. But kids playing do not bother me at all.

Kids are kids. The school holiday will soon be over and in a few years they
will not be kids but adults.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:18:53 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Kids are kids. The school holiday will soon be over and in a few years they
will not be kids but adults.

.... And even more troublesome.

And then *their* kids will be even worse.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Kids are kids. The school holiday will soon be over and in a few
years they will not be kids but adults.

... And even more troublesome.

And then *their* kids will be even worse.

Objectionable, loud, annoying pensioners have had a lifetime of experience
and have chosen not to better themselves. Kids are kids.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Kids are kids. The school holiday will soon be over and in a few years they
will not be kids but adults.

... And even more troublesome.

And then *their* kids will be even worse.

well according to the statistics, with luck they will all be dead from
obesity related disease any day.

Then we can turn em into useful biofuel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
On Aug 15, 8:39 pm, Hugh Jampton wrote:
equipped their summerhouse with the latest BOOM BOOM sound system. I
went back out and got my shredder (*Very* loud Allen petrol
shredder), placed it by the hedge next to their summerhouse, started
it up and went back into the house. Not long before the father was
round here demanding that we turn it off. I left it on for a bit
longer and then turned it off. We've not heard any loud music since
then :-)

Thats a great story! Fight fire with fire.

I usually do. But kids playing do not bother me at all.

Kids are kids. The school holiday will soon be over and in a few
years they will not be kids but adults.

If it was confined to school holidays maybe, just maybe, it would be
tolerable - unfortunately it isn't. You cannot possibly justify that four
kids (plus sometimes their friends, but not always) should be allowed to
create so much noise that ten, possibly more, households have to go through
summer (and not just summer, but almost any dry time) with their doors and
windows closed to block out the noise. We all have gardens but only one out
of ten households can utilise theirs. If you think that's acceptable then
I've lost all respect for you that I've built up over the time I've been
frequenting this group.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Zahut" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave Starling wrote:
[...]

If the noise is just kids playing (screaming and shouting) then it does not
bother me at all. The next door neighbour has 4 lads and they make a lot of
noise when they are playing outside. After 8pm the only noise I hear is
usually followed by their Dad shouting at them to be quiet.

Now a stereo on all day at full blast would be a different thing. But it's
not usually kids who do that and fortunately something that I have not had
suffered.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

The sun brings out the idiot families every year, we have a group of
feral's living near here who create a fair racket, I wish there was a
river near here they could play under..,

Same thing too, a 10 house wide exclusion zone due to noise, those who
think we should put up with it are more than welcome to come here and
give them a day trip to some far off river....or ocean or take them
camping, catterick gun range for instance......

--
Mart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"martop" wrote in message
Fred wrote:
[...]

We have the same problem, but worse than the kids is the dog next door but
one, local councils been and recorded
it, threatened them with court, but it still barks, very loudly, for hours

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote

[...]

If you decide to take action, make sure that you have numerous neighbours
all complaining vociferously and persistently to the environmental health
noise abatement department. But make sure that complaints do not appear to
have been solicited.
Do not complain alone.
Been there - done that. If there's only one compainant, you'll be dismiised
as over-sensitive initially; if there are numerous complaints from different
quarters it is more likely to be investigated/taken seriously sooner.
Be aware that, despite the higher profile of this anti-social behaviour
these days, measures in place to resolve this are not sufficiently
agressive.
Probably easier, although more costly, in the long run to engage some hired
help to "educate" the adults in the importance of disciplining their
off-spring.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2010 09:58, TheScullster wrote:
Probably easier, although more costly, in the long run to engage some hired
help to "educate" the adults in the importance of disciplining their
off-spring.

Have you seen the price of hitmen these day! ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:24:32 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 16/08/2010 09:58, TheScullster wrote:
Probably easier, although more costly, in the long run to engage some hired
help to "educate" the adults in the importance of disciplining their
off-spring.

Have you seen the price of hitmen these day! ;-)

I read that as "bitumen".

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/08/2010 09:58, TheScullster wrote:
Probably easier, although more costly, in the long run to engage some hired
help to "educate" the adults in the importance of disciplining their
off-spring.

Have you seen the price of hitmen these day! ;-)

I read that as "bitumen".

I think tar and feathering is a *bit* harsh punishment for shouting in a
back garden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:58:27 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

"Fred" wrote

[...]

Not necessarily. I had cause to complain about a noisy neighbour. The
council took my plight seriously and sent a team to investigate in person.
That could be where this particular situation would have problems: if the
nuisance doesn't happen within convenient working hours, it could be hard
get a council worker to hear it for themselves.
It's always worth keeping a written record of times/dates and comments.
Getting a counter-claim for the shredder however, would seem to me to be
a major step back, which a council who was looking for reasons not to
spend time investigating (although they're such diligent, hardworking types
I can't ever see that happening 8-o) , could then use to classify the original
claim as just a domestic feud.

quarters it is more likely to be investigated/taken seriously sooner.
Be aware that, despite the higher profile of this anti-social behaviour
these days, measures in place to resolve this are not sufficiently
agressive.
Probably easier, although more costly, in the long run to engage some hired
help to "educate" the adults in the importance of disciplining their
off-spring.

Phil

--
www.thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/page1.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:

Not necessarily. I had cause to complain about a noisy neighbour. The
council took my plight seriously and sent a team to investigate in person.
That could be where this particular situation would have problems: if the
nuisance doesn't happen within convenient working hours, it could be hard
get a council worker to hear it for themselves.
It's always worth keeping a written record of times/dates and comments.
Getting a counter-claim for the shredder however, would seem to me to be
a major step back, which a council who was looking for reasons not to
spend time investigating (although they're such diligent, hardworking types
I can't ever see that happening 8-o) , could then use to classify the original
claim as just a domestic feud.

One hot summer night, I was being kept awake in the small hours by a
party of squaddies who had taken over the property next to mine, and,
having been up in Iraq (first gulf war)till a few days before were
happily playing their boom boxes and drinking and talking 3 ft from my
head the other side of a shared loft space and a 4" brick wall.

I didn't even bother to get dressed. Stark naked I went downstairs,
raided my stash of fireworks, and planted three airbombs in the field
behind the house, lit them and was just about back in bed when three
sharp explosions rocked the house.

I had to stuff my face in the pillow. Battle reflexes had it seemed,
taken over, and I think a quick patrol ensued. Nothing was ever said,
and the music stopped immediately. Whether they thought their chums from
the barracks, one of themselves, or me, was responsible I neither know
nor care.

If you are taking independent action, it will probably rule out 'the
authorities'

Never underestimate the ability of a radically detuned several hundred
watt ex police base station transmitter coupled to a crude signal
generator to render any audio equipment within 50 meters radius
unlistenable to as well. Highly recommended for 3 a.m. crack parties in
blocks of council flats. Or the 'social housing' couple next door.

It probably knocks out ADSL effectively as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If they let their kids play near a stream or in a wood some nosy
busybody will probably report the parents to the social services.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 7:15*pm, "Fred" wrote:
Let me start off by saying that I understand, I appreciate, and I know that
kids make noise. They are _designed_ to make noise and they do. I'm sure I
did when I was a kid.

Get real! Kids come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and
personalities. Some of them are noisy and others are quiet. Even
within the same family. I've got nine -- and I'm sure the youngest
three make ten times as much noise as the oldest six!

The difference then though, was that when we made
noise, we played out. We had a derelict piece of land where a factory had
been demolished which made do as our football pitch, our cricket pitch and
many other things. Or we used to play on the parks, in the woods or even
down at the river.

What we did not do was to create interminable noise in our own back
yards/gardens.

But you belong to a totally-different generation and grew up in a
radically-different social environment. There's no particular reason
why what you did should be normative for today's kids.

There's a family live over the back - and four houses down - from me who
have four kids of their own and who often have kids friends around as well.
At the merest hint of dry weather all the kids play out in the back garden,
creating so much noise that at least 10 houses around their epicentre cannot
use their own gardens. We've just had our first dry, sunny day for weeks but
could we get the chairs out in the garden and enjoy it? Could we hell.

About 500yds from here, round the back of the newsagents is a wood, complete
with a stream. They should be spending hours down there, exploring, climbing
trees, building dens, whatever.

Rant over *;-)

Why don't you actually get to know the kids concerned? They're human
beings, after all!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John MacLeod" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 7:15 pm, "Fred" wrote:
Let me start off by saying that I understand, I appreciate, and I know
that
kids make noise. They are _designed_ to make noise and they do. I'm sure I
did when I was a kid.

Get real! Kids come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and
personalities. Some of them are noisy and others are quiet. Even
within the same family. I've got nine -- and I'm sure the youngest
three make ten times as much noise as the oldest six!

Have you been informed about what's causing them all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 20, 1:06*am, "brass monkey" wrote:

Get real! *Kids come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and
personalities. *Some of them are noisy and others are quiet. *Even
within the same family. * I've got nine -- and I'm sure the youngest
three make ten times as much noise as the oldest six!

Have you been informed about what's causing them all?

What's causing all the kids? I'm reliably informed that it's parents
that cause kids :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John MacLeod wrote:
On Aug 20, 1:06 am, "brass monkey" wrote:
Get real! Kids come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and
personalities. Some of them are noisy and others are quiet. Even
within the same family. I've got nine -- and I'm sure the youngest
three make ten times as much noise as the oldest six!

Have you been informed about what's causing them all?

What's causing all the kids? I'm reliably informed that it's parents
that cause kids :-)

Government child benefit policy, mostly.

Which is why the parents don't give a toss about them.: Its just an
income source. like breeding pigs or something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Kids come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and
personalities. Some of them are noisy and others are quiet. Even
within the same family. I've got nine

That's unusual these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 20, 1:41*am, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember John MacLeod
saying something like:

Kids come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and
personalities. *Some of them are noisy and others are quiet. *Even
within the same family. * I've got nine

That's unusual these days.

Well, one thing I've never been accused of is being conventional! :-)

B&Q rant ABC UK diy 8 July 6th 06 03:43 AM
OT Rant Sam S. Home Repair 2 October 31st 05 05:37 AM
ON TOPIC (RANT) MidAmerican Extrusions (RANT) Pedro Metalworking 4 April 25th 05 11:02 PM
Rant on anon UK diy 47 September 28th 04 11:03 PM
Kids, Kids' Projects & Fun charlieb Woodworking 0 August 14th 03 08:44 AM