Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Battery driven lawnmowers question

My daughter's partner has tried a Bosch corded mower (Rotak 43) and
it's equivalent battery version (Rotak 43-Li).

He finds that for average lawn cutting, and particularly wet grass,
they are equal in capability and yet the corded version has a 1700w
motor and the battery one is driven off a 36v 2.6Ah battery, which
rather obviously can hardly deliver the same electrical power.

Why is the lower powered DC machine equal in capability with the much
higher powered AC driven mower? Is it in the mower design or are
modern DC motors (I'm presuming they are stepper motor type design)
that much more efficient and powerful?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
My daughter's partner has tried a Bosch corded mower (Rotak 43) and
it's equivalent battery version (Rotak 43-Li).

He finds that for average lawn cutting, and particularly wet grass,
they are equal in capability and yet the corded version has a 1700w
motor and the battery one is driven off a 36v 2.6Ah battery, which
rather obviously can hardly deliver the same electrical power.

Why is the lower powered DC machine equal in capability with the much
higher powered AC driven mower? Is it in the mower design or are
modern DC motors (I'm presuming they are stepper motor type design)
that much more efficient and powerful?

For the simple reason that the public believe the more power you (may) be
able to put into a motor the better it is. They forget that it is power out
that is important but is never specified. High power inputs go to reduce
life expectancy through heat but hey!! Similarly we all believe the more
volts into a battery powered motor, the better the product is as well!!

To be honest DC motors are the most efficient and they tend to use permanent
field magnets, AC series brushed motors are less so for a number of reasons.

Induction motors are less efficient for a given size still but have the
advantage of being brushless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham
saying something like:

Why is the lower powered DC machine equal in capability with the much
higher powered AC driven mower? Is it in the mower design or are
modern DC motors (I'm presuming they are stepper motor type design)
that much more efficient and powerful?

The DC motor might be geared down and is running at its most effective
speed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham
saying something like:

Why is the lower powered DC machine equal in capability with the much
higher powered AC driven mower? Is it in the mower design or are
modern DC motors (I'm presuming they are stepper motor type design)
that much more efficient and powerful?

The DC motor might be geared down and is running at its most effective
speed.

all mortors will be geared.

But the thing is a leccy motor will draw what it has to until its
reaches some limit.

Ypu probably only need a couple of hundred watts on a 12" or so rotary
to cut a shortish grass. Its when you hit the rough stuff. Ive got a
3.5bhp briggsie and that will stall on rank grass. Even the 13bhp one
will as well. But that's a 48" cut.

So no difference on light duties. The 1700 watter will be running at a
couple of hundred same as the battery one. The mains will 'go up to'
1700 which the battery one probably won't, although its deeply possible
on short bursts to pull 80A out of a 12v lead acid of mower type
dimensions. which is well over a brake horse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Not all motors are geared.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message zPe9o.22696$hp4.8069@hurricane, John
writes
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

No, but mortors might be

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

All electric motors used in lawnmowers will be geared.

Otherwise the mower blade tips would be supersonic long before the motor
was up to sensible efficiency.

Murray lawnmowers SteveB Home Repair 7 June 15th 10 01:51 AM
lawnmowers, RCD & safety [email protected] UK diy 12 March 28th 09 02:23 PM
Old riding lawnmowers Dave Metalworking 13 April 15th 06 04:53 PM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM
Light for small space - battery driven?? Dave Plowman UK diy 10 July 26th 03 09:42 PM