Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning a sintered bronze filter

I have a Vax 5150 or several years vintage. It doesn't get used very often,
just an occasional bout of carpet cleaning.

The water take-up pipe in the cleaning reservoir has a porous bronze
filter, which also acts as a weight to keep the take-up pipe down at the
bottom of the reservoir.

By a process of trial and error elimination, I've found that the filter is
pretty much clogged up, presumably with a mixture of dust and old dried-in
detergent solution.

Any thoughts as to a suitable means of de-gunking? I've tried three or four
changes of boiling water, switch cleaner (which evaporates almost on touch)
and a quick immersion in cellulose thinners, all of which have only made a
marginal improvement.

--
The Wanderer

When you hear the toilet flush and your child says 'Uh oh'
It's already too late!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:
I have a Vax 5150 or several years vintage. It doesn't get used very often,
just an occasional bout of carpet cleaning.

The water take-up pipe in the cleaning reservoir has a porous bronze
filter, which also acts as a weight to keep the take-up pipe down at the
bottom of the reservoir.

By a process of trial and error elimination, I've found that the filter is
pretty much clogged up, presumably with a mixture of dust and old dried-in
detergent solution.

Any thoughts as to a suitable means of de-gunking? I've tried three or four
changes of boiling water, switch cleaner (which evaporates almost on touch)
and a quick immersion in cellulose thinners, all of which have only made a
marginal improvement.

Soak in something aggressive like petrol and BLOW the **** BACKwards out
of it.

If that don't work, ditch it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 6:38*pm, The Wanderer wrote:
I have a Vax 5150 or several years vintage. It doesn't get used very often,
just an occasional bout of carpet cleaning.

The water take-up pipe in the cleaning reservoir has a porous bronze
filter, which also acts as a weight to keep the take-up pipe down at the
bottom of the reservoir.

By a process of trial and error elimination, I've found that the filter is
pretty much clogged up, presumably with a mixture of dust and old dried-in
detergent solution.

Any thoughts as to a suitable means of de-gunking? I've tried three or four
changes of boiling water, switch cleaner (which evaporates almost on touch)
and a quick immersion in cellulose thinners, all of which have only made a
marginal improvement.

A standard quick cleaner would be caustic soda and boiling water. You
cant really use HCl here.

If that fails, the most powerful cleaner of all is a long soak in warm
bio washing powder - by long I mean days.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Wanderer
writes

Any thoughts as to a suitable means of de-gunking?

I would try running it through the dish washer, or perhaps the washing
machine, on hot. For the latter, perhaps put it in a sock, closing the
end with a plastic clippy thing, as used to seal half eaten bags of
crisps etc.

Works well with grubby Lego, inside a pillow case :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:38:31 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

Any thoughts as to a suitable means of de-gunking?

Good soak and backflow, how much "suck" is there in use? You probably
need to match that with the "blow".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 6:38*pm, The Wanderer wrote:
I have a Vax 5150 or several years vintage. It doesn't get used very often,
just an occasional bout of carpet cleaning.

The water take-up pipe in the cleaning reservoir has a porous bronze
filter, which also acts as a weight to keep the take-up pipe down at the
bottom of the reservoir.

By a process of trial and error elimination, I've found that the filter is
pretty much clogged up, presumably with a mixture of dust and old dried-in
detergent solution.

Any thoughts as to a suitable means of de-gunking? I've tried three or four
changes of boiling water, switch cleaner (which evaporates almost on touch)
and a quick immersion in cellulose thinners, all of which have only made a
marginal improvement.

You could probably replace it with no fines concrete. The cleaning
solutions are alkaline.

NT