Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Door Guarantee Period - Also posted to UK.legal.moderated

Hi all

Also posted to uk.legal.moderated, but hasn't appeared at time of writing.

Approx 1 year ago we had a new front door fitted.
This is a composite construction rather than uPVC - supposed to be more
secure and dimensionally stable.
We noticed that the door was bowing in direct sunlight such that it moved
right away from the main seal at the top. More than 6mm of movement at the
top has been seen.

Also, the chrome "furniture" outside has already started pitting (despite
being stamped Yale - a reputable supplier I thought).

The door was not cheap - approx £900 fitted.

Anywho..
Today the door was replaced completely except for the lock.

The question is, should the door be issued with a new full term guarantee
(10 years from memory), or is it usual for a supplier only to continue to
support the guarantee for the original period IYSWIM?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:12:01 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

The question is, should the door be issued with a new full term guarantee
(10 years from memory), or is it usual for a supplier only to continue to
support the guarantee for the original period IYSWIM?

A guarantee can be issued for any period the issuer decides. If an
item is replaced under a guarantee the new item will usually enjoy the
remainder of the original guarantee period, not a new one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:36:27 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:
A guarantee can be issued for any period the issuer decides. If an item
is replaced under a guarantee the new item will usually enjoy the
remainder of the original guarantee period, not a new one.

I'd expect a reputable company to re-issue the gurantee, though - if they
were prepared to stand by their product for x months then they should be
happy to do so for any *complete* replacement (I can understand a repair
using new parts but keeping some of the original being a different
matter). The OP might like to raise that issue with them and see what
they say, assuming that the work done is a total swap of old for new
(even if it might not be policy as such, maybe they'll grant a 'new'
guarantee).

However, if only a year into a ten year warranty, that seems to give
ample time to see if the replacement fails in the same way and if so
investigate some form of 'not fit for purpose' case... any door that
lasts only a year isn't really much of a door!

cheers

Jules