Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Default uk.legal.moderated freezing in Thunderbird

Cross posted to npm general and uk.diy

I am using Thunderbird 3.0.1 and Eternal September.

Have just gone from a PC with windows xp to a new pc with Windows 7

Other newsgroups work fine but every time I click on uk.legal.moderated
Thunderbird freezes and I have to use task manager to shut it down.

Any ideas?

TIA
Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:

I am using Thunderbird 3.0.1 and Eternal September.

ditto (though not for all groups)

Have just gone from a PC with windows xp to a new pc with Windows 7

Linux here.

Other newsgroups work fine but every time I click on uk.legal.moderated
Thunderbird freezes and I have to use task manager to shut it down.

Right click the offending group, properties, rebuild index.

If still problems, worth trying disabling global search and indexing in
preferences, advanced.

Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 13/02/2010 18:42, Andy Burns wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:

I am using Thunderbird 3.0.1 and Eternal September.

ditto (though not for all groups)

Have just gone from a PC with windows xp to a new pc with Windows 7

Linux here.

Other newsgroups work fine but every time I click on uk.legal.moderated
Thunderbird freezes and I have to use task manager to shut it down.

Right click the offending group, properties, rebuild index.

If still problems, worth trying disabling global search and indexing in
preferences, advanced.

Actually, Options Advanced. :-)

Also check your retention. Realised on one group I was keeping things
for a silly length of time. Resetting it to something more sensible
improved performance.

But it does appear that 3.0.1 (at least under W7) can be very prone to
temporary freezes. I am hoping the next release addresses the issues.

--
Rod
Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Actually, Options Advanced. :-)

EditPreferencesAdvanced in Linux, ToolsOptionsAdvanced in Windows, I
only remembered one of the differences.

it does appear that 3.0.1 (at least under W7) can be very prone to
temporary freezes.

Unfortunately, yes.

Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Rod wrote:

Actually, Options Advanced. :-)

EditPreferencesAdvanced in Linux, ToolsOptionsAdvanced in Windows, I
only remembered one of the differences.

it does appear that 3.0.1 (at least under W7) can be very prone to
temporary freezes.

Unfortunately, yes.

I see I'm running 2.0.0.23 - hadn't realised it wasn't up to date.
Should I keep it, then?

David

Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Rod wrote:

Actually, Options Advanced. :-)

EditPreferencesAdvanced in Linux, ToolsOptionsAdvanced in Windows,
I only remembered one of the differences.

it does appear that 3.0.1 (at least under W7) can be very prone to
temporary freezes.

Unfortunately, yes.

I see I'm running 2.0.0.23 - hadn't realised it wasn't up to date.
Should I keep it, then?

David

Centos, the most conservative of Linux distros, is still using 2.0.0.22
and it work fine for most things.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I see I'm running 2.0.0.23 - hadn't realised it wasn't up to date.
Should I keep it, then?

Well, I've kept my main laptop on TB2.0 ...

``
Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Rod wrote:

Actually, Options Advanced. :-)

EditPreferencesAdvanced in Linux, ToolsOptionsAdvanced in Windows, I
only remembered one of the differences.

it does appear that 3.0.1 (at least under W7) can be very prone to
temporary freezes.

Unfortunately, yes.

Not just me then. Since the Firefox v3.5.7 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.23
upgrades I get both freezing at random and have to kill them using Task
Manager (XP SP3). So far as I know I haven't changed anything. Just a
nuisance but annoying none the less.Always happens when I open a news
item in Fireox from an email from ITProPortal.

Peter Scott
Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 14/02/2010 15:33, Peter Scott wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Rod wrote:

Actually, Options Advanced. :-)

EditPreferencesAdvanced in Linux, ToolsOptionsAdvanced in Windows,
I only remembered one of the differences.

it does appear that 3.0.1 (at least under W7) can be very prone to
temporary freezes.

Unfortunately, yes.

Not just me then. Since the Firefox v3.5.7 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.23
upgrades I get both freezing at random and have to kill them using Task
Manager (XP SP3). So far as I know I haven't changed anything. Just a
nuisance but annoying none the less.Always happens when I open a news
item in Fireox from an email from ITProPortal.

Peter Scott

Which was why I went for Firefox 3.6. Seems more stable to me - so long
as your needed add-ons are compatible.

What I kept having problems with was documents opening in Adobe Reader
(whether as a tab within Firefox or as a separate Reader window).
Currently on Reader 9.3.0 and as a separate window things are much much
better, might even try as a tab sometime soon.

--
Rod
Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:

I am using Thunderbird 3.0.1 and Eternal September.

ditto (though not for all groups)

Have just gone from a PC with windows xp to a new pc with Windows 7

Linux here.

Other newsgroups work fine but every time I click on uk.legal.moderated
Thunderbird freezes and I have to use task manager to shut it down.

Right click the offending group, properties, rebuild index.

If still problems, worth trying disabling global search and indexing in
preferences, advanced.

Actually, Options Advanced. :-)

Also check your retention. Realised on one group I was keeping things
for a silly length of time. Resetting it to something more sensible
improved performance.

But it does appear that 3.0.1 (at least under W7) can be very prone to
temporary freezes. I am hoping the next release addresses the issues.

Many thanks. Tried both suggestions but every time I tried to change the
view to threads unread it froze. Then I only downloaded 200 headers and
it worked. Just have to see how it goes.

Once I get windows 7 sorted out completely on this new pc thought I
might try using ubuntu on the old pc which has been running xp for 3.5
years and needs a major clean up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Feb, 07:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Lobster wrote:
I see I'm running 2.0.0.23 - hadn't realised it wasn't up to date.
Should I keep it, then?

Well, I've kept my main laptop on TB2.0 ...

``

I certain would - I'm finding TB 3 a pain in the proverbial with all
sorts of minor glitches. Not a good release.

Rob
Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Rod wrote:

[...]

I haven't used Adobe Reader for some time as it was so appallingly
slow in loading - maybe it has improved. Otherwise I suggest you try
Foxit Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/); never gives any bother
and loads instantaneously.

Rob
Posted to netscape.public.mozilla.general,uk.d-i-y

Which was why I went for Firefox 3.6. Seems more stable to me - so long
as your needed add-ons are compatible.

What I kept having problems with was documents opening in Adobe Reader
(whether as a tab within Firefox or as a separate Reader window).
Currently on Reader 9.3.0 and as a separate window things are much much
better, might even try as a tab sometime soon.

--
Rod

I haven't used Adobe Reader for some time as it was so appallingly
slow in loading - maybe it has improved. Otherwise I suggest you try
Foxit Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/); never gives any bother
and loads instantaneously.

Rob

Second that, been using it for ages)