Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIYer down

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Sorry to hear that Geoff. My condolences to you and the family.

Regards,
DaveyOz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
geoff wrote:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Sorry to hear that Geoff. My condolences to you and the family.

Regards,
DaveyOz

Same here, but you do know that TMH would not fit through the joists?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave Osborne wrote:
geoff wrote:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft
insulation today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Sorry to hear that Geoff. My condolences to you and the family.

Regards,
DaveyOz

Same here, but you do know that TMH would not fit through the joists?

Condolences to Geoff and Oi! to ARW.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

Same here, but you do know that TMH would not fit through the joists?

You may jest, but around here many of the older cottages have a tiny
square loft hatch which I just can't fit through. I've had to expand one
or two of them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon writes:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

Same here, but you do know that TMH would not fit through the joists?

You may jest, but around here many of the older cottages have a tiny
square loft hatch which I just can't fit through. I've had to expand one
or two of them.

So you really want to avoid having your sandwiches whilst you're up there...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Osborne
writes
geoff wrote:
My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft
insulation today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus
So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Sorry to hear that Geoff. My condolences to you and the family.

Likewise.

He must have been unlucky. I got away with a few breakages after falling
15' from a roof.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Osborne writes:
geoff wrote:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Sorry to hear that Geoff. My condolences to you and the family.

Yes indeed, sorry.
Very unlucky to have such dire consequences.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

--
geoff

Deepest sympathies to you and yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:20:46 +0100, geoff wrote:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Pants. If there is anything beyond this life, here's hoping that it
involves angle grinders and pressure washers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Bloody 'ell.

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Indeed. You never know the minute.
I hope the customer pays for work done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Yeesh, it's not the fall but the sudden stop(s).

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

And can we now please keep quiet about falling off things for the
next few weeks? Says him with rather a lot of scaffolding around the
house, highest platforms are at ridge height around the chimneys (I
didn't think they built drystone chimneys... 'cause thats the
condition of the top of one of 'em).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Aug, 09:31, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Yeesh, it's not the fall but the sudden stop(s).

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

And can we now please keep quiet about falling off things for the
next few weeks? Says him with rather a lot of scaffolding around the
house, highest platforms are at ridge height around the chimneys (I
didn't think they built drystone chimneys... 'cause thats the
condition of the top of one of 'em).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Not something any of us want to hear - either a DIY or professional
building accident. Very sorry to hear.

Dave - the nearest I came to something similar is helping my father
repair a very similar chimney some 40 to 50 feet up as a yuf. He'd
put scaffolding up the gable end to the roof ridge level, but although
it was probably safe it was not attached absolutely firmly to the
house so as you stepped onto the roof there was this movement in the
scaffold in the opposite direction...... and as you say the chimney
was drystone - or at least was more like dry dust !! And I was rock
climbing at Very Severe level then. Ahhhhh.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Yeesh, it's not the fall but the sudden stop(s).

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

And can we now please keep quiet about falling off things for the
next few weeks? Says him with rather a lot of scaffolding around the
house, highest platforms are at ridge height around the chimneys (I
didn't think they built drystone chimneys... 'cause thats the
condition of the top of one of 'em).

Mine's that even rarer beast, the dry-brick chimney - I really must get
round to sorting it before the autumn weather sets in. At least I don't
feel too unsafe up there, as long as I stay to one side of the ridge (I
can do most of it from there), any fall would mean rolling down the roof
and dropping a whole three inches onto the flat roof of the extension -
which is quite wide enough that I would not go rolling off the other edge!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:58:30 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Mine's that even rarer beast, the dry-brick chimney - I really must get
round to sorting it before the autumn weather sets in.

Today seemed more like early winter. Best part of 15mm of rain and a
rather cool NNE'ly.

At least I don't feel too unsafe up there, as long as I stay to one side
of the ridge (I can do most of it from there),

But bricks are small and light. The top of this chimney is blocks of
stone, 3" thick 12" or more wide and 6" deep, they'll have a bit of
weight to them... and it's always surprising how big chimney pots are
when you get up close. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:58:30 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Mine's that even rarer beast, the dry-brick chimney - I really must get
round to sorting it before the autumn weather sets in.

Today seemed more like early winter. Best part of 15mm of rain and a
rather cool NNE'ly.

At least I don't feel too unsafe up there, as long as I stay to one side
of the ridge (I can do most of it from there),

But bricks are small and light. The top of this chimney is blocks of
stone, 3" thick 12" or more wide and 6" deep, they'll have a bit of
weight to them...

That's alright then, their weight will keep them in place

and it's always surprising how big chimney pots are
when you get up close. B-)

Yes. At least ours are basic ones, not the giant, Victorian type. I last
saw mine up close a few weeks ago when I went up to remove the TV aerial
- I decided that the 12' pole was putting a bit too much strain on the
brickwork in windy weather. I've left the lashings in place though to
help hold everything together. Unfortunately I can't dedicate any time
to it this weekend, as we're buying presents and preparing for our
eldest son's birthday party tomorrow.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:58:30 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Mine's that even rarer beast, the dry-brick chimney - I really must get
round to sorting it before the autumn weather sets in.

Today seemed more like early winter. Best part of 15mm of rain and a
rather cool NNE'ly.

At least I don't feel too unsafe up there, as long as I stay to one side
of the ridge (I can do most of it from there),

But bricks are small and light. The top of this chimney is blocks of
stone, 3" thick 12" or more wide and 6" deep, they'll have a bit of
weight to them... and it's always surprising how big chimney pots are
when you get up close. B-)

Which reminds me, and brings the thread full circle

This particular uncle used to help Fred Dibnah with his demolitions when
he was a teenager

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Bloody 'ell.

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Indeed. You never know the minute.
I hope the customer pays for work done.

Yes

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

He's got an Ariel square four hidden away somewhere too

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft
insulation today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Bloody 'ell.

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Indeed. You never know the minute.
I hope the customer pays for work done.

Yes

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

Easier than catching a criminal.

He's got an Ariel square four hidden away somewhere too

Do you inherit it?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ecD8o.141714$hz1.130504@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft
insulation today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Bloody 'ell.

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Indeed. You never know the minute.
I hope the customer pays for work done.

Yes

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

Easier than catching a criminal.

He's got an Ariel square four hidden away somewhere too

Do you inherit it?

I think his brother will get in there and nab it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

My uncle (Welshpool's answer to TMH), putting in some loft insulation
today fell through and has gone to meet jeezus

Bloody 'ell.

So be careful up in those lofts peeps

Indeed. You never know the minute.
I hope the customer pays for work done.

Yes

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

Don't they have to call in HSE for such things, anyway?
It will count as a workplace accident, I would think.

He's got an Ariel square four hidden away somewhere too

I had to look up what that was on Google.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
geoff writes:

He's got an Ariel square four hidden away somewhere too

I had to look up what that was on Google.

Andrew, you must be younger than some of us :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 07:48:40 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
geoff writes:

He's got an Ariel square four hidden away somewhere too

I had to look up what that was on Google.

Andrew, you must be younger than some of us :-)

Made me twitch - I've always wanted one of those, especially the later
model that ran below fusion temperature.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Don't they have to call in HSE for such things, anyway?
It will count as a workplace accident, I would think.

He's got an Ariel square four hidden away somewhere too

I had to look up what that was on Google.

Philistine. (bet you have to look that up too!)

I heard them described as 16MPG. Oil that is - only 4MPG for the petrol...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

Perhaps he was Welshpool's answer to ARW and an enraged husband
happened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

Perhaps he was Welshpool's answer to ARW and an enraged husband
happened.

If he was working and not DIYing then I would expect the HSE to be involved.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 9MU8o.111655$on2.23316@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

Perhaps he was Welshpool's answer to ARW and an enraged husband
happened.

If he was working and not DIYing then I would expect the HSE to be involved.

Yes - slightly different story coming out now.

He was working on a carport roof at commercial premises

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

Perhaps he was Welshpool's answer to ARW and an enraged husband
happened.

At his age, I doubt it

He predates TMH by some 50 years (it would have been his 80th birthday
next week

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some
reason

Perhaps he was Welshpool's answer to ARW and an enraged husband
happened.

At his age, I doubt it

He predates TMH by some 50 years (it would have been his 80th birthday
next week

I flattered Geoff, but that would make him 109 :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk