Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1/2 " BSP fitting advice needed

I have finally given up on trying to source parts for my Grohe Neotherm
thermostatic shower and I am now in the process of replacing it.

It appears that I will need to use 1/2" BSP connectors and I have
Googled without success for the type of fitting required.

Does anyone know if I would be able to obtain a 1/2" BSP female to 1/2"
BSP male straight fitting suitable for domestic plumbing??

The nearest I could find is this fitting

http://www.kiowa.com/Products/Hydrau...c_Adaptor.html

Would this be suitable?

Regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Aug, 21:41, ".newman" wrote:
I have finally given up on trying to source parts for my Grohe Neotherm
thermostatic shower and I am now in the process of replacing it.

It appears that I will need *to use 1/2" BSP connectors and I have
Googled without success for the type of fitting required.

Does anyone know if I would be able to obtain a 1/2" BSP female to 1/2"
BSP male straight fitting suitable for domestic plumbing??

The nearest I could find is this fitting

http://www.kiowa.com/Products/Hydrau...tors/Male_Fema...

Would this be suitable?

Regards

The hydraulic fitting will be steel & you need brass or plastic(ABS).
Stuff like this is available but the more unusual fittings are hard to
find.
The usual thing to do in this case would be to use two commonly
available fittings ie a nipple and a socket. IE a male/male connector
screwed into a female/female connector.
Agricultural suppliers can be good for this sort of thing, they use
the plastic fittings on their deadly chemical sprayers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Aug, 08:22, harry wrote:
On 6 Aug, 21:41, ".newman" wrote:

[...]

the plastic fittings on their deadly chemical sprayers.- Hide quoted text -

Oh BTW, the 1/2" bit refers to the bore of the pipe not the outside.
If in doubt, take a threaded part of the size you want with you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2010 08:25, harry wrote:
On 7 Aug, 08:22, wrote:
On 6 Aug, 21:41, wrote:

[...]

Thanks

Space restrictions would not allow 2 fittings joined together. I will
try to search agricultural suppliers.

Regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..newman wrote:

I have finally given up on trying to source parts for my Grohe Neotherm
thermostatic shower and I am now in the process of replacing it.

It appears that I will need to use 1/2" BSP connectors and I have
Googled without success for the type of fitting required.

Does anyone know if I would be able to obtain a 1/2" BSP female to 1/2"
BSP male straight fitting suitable for domestic plumbing??

Good plumbing suppliers will have them. I have 2 here in my van now.
They are sometimes used to extend tap threads a little to allow access
to the thread - on some bathroom sinks, the tap is so far recessed that
you cannot get access to the bottom of the tap to connect it to the
water pipe, so these are used to extend the tap an inch or two.
Also, I think you'll find that radiator tail extenders are probably
suitable too.
This is an adjustable one:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17552/
You can also get them in fixed lengths, 2 or 3 sizes, male thread one
end, female the other.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article cs_6o.74336$2%2.55685@hurricane, .newman
writes
I have finally given up on trying to source parts for my Grohe Neotherm
thermostatic shower and I am now in the process of replacing it.

It appears that I will need to use 1/2" BSP connectors and I have
Googled without success for the type of fitting required.

Does anyone know if I would be able to obtain a 1/2" BSP female to 1/2"
BSP male straight fitting suitable for domestic plumbing??

The nearest I could find is this fitting

http://www.kiowa.com/Products/Hydrau...ale_Female/BSP
_Fixed_Male_Female/1-2_BSP_Fixed_Male_Female_Hydraulic_Adaptor.html

Would this be suitable?

Yes

You can also use a 1/2" bsp to 15mm compression adapter with the
compression nut and olive removed as 15mm compression nuts are IME 1/2"
bsp male.

This works fine if you are sealing on the threads of the male part of
the adaptor but not if you are using a sealing washer at the end of the
compression thread as it is sharp rather than flat and could make the
seal unreliable.

See item 6655 about half way down this page:
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/140.asp
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Aug, 08:22, wrote:
On 6 Aug, 21:41, wrote:

[...]

What are you trying to achieve, as the male / female just brings the
fitting a tad forwards - and leaves you with the same gender as you
started with, is that what you want?

BES are a useful online supplier www.bes.co.uk

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Aug, 08:22, wrote:
On 6 Aug, 21:41, wrote:

[...]

Yes, I need to bring the fitting forwards. The existing 1/2" BSP female
fitting is recessed 20mm into the plaster and it needs to be flush for
the new shower.

Regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2010 11:22, fred wrote:
[...]

I have tried a 15mm to 1/2" BSP fitting but thread does not screw in
far enough. Also the existing fitting has a sealing washer.

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

..newman wrote:
On 07/08/2010 11:22, fred wrote:
[...]

Why not just shorten the fitting at the female end to give the 20mm
extension you want and fit the male with ptfe tape or bosswhite/hemp
omitting the sealing washer.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Aug, 08:22, *wrote:
On 6 Aug, 21:41, *wrote:

[...]

Regards- Hide quoted text -

They can be cut down to shorten them. Even cut & glued if plastic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2010 15:39, .newman wrote:
On 07/08/2010 11:22, fred wrote:
[...]

I have found these 2 fittings and I should be able to make a suitable
adapter by cutting and gluing.

http://www.pipestock.com/popup_produ...oducts_id/1311

http://www.pipestock.com/popup_produ...oducts_id/1345

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article U8j7o.72043$gM.48216@hurricane, .newman
writes

I have found these 2 fittings and I should be able to make a suitable
adapter by cutting and gluing.

http://www.pipestock.com/popup_produ...1/products_id/
1311

http://www.pipestock.com/popup_produ...6/products_id/
1345

Well spotted, that seems like a neat solution, I use solvent weld on
waste but not on supply.

Trad solution is to use brass as shower fittings are bound to get leaned
on and brass is viewed as stronger. Any overspacing is made up with
decorative collars (& silicone ;-).

Let us know how you get on re durability and leaks, it would be nice to
have a new system alternative.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Aug, 22:18, fred wrote:
In article U8j7o.72043$gM.48216@hurricane, .newman
writes

I have found these 2 fittings and I should be able to make a suitable
adapter by cutting and gluing.

http://www.pipestock.com/popup_produ...35_13_151/prod...
1311

http://www.pipestock.com/popup_produ...35_13_156/prod...
1345

Well spotted, that seems like a neat solution, I use solvent weld on
waste but not on supply.

Trad solution is to use brass as shower fittings are bound to get leaned
on and brass is viewed as stronger. Any overspacing is made up with
decorative collars (& silicone ;-).

Let us know how you get on re durability and leaks, it would be nice to
have a new system alternative.
--
fred

This pipe work system has been out for years. You can get plastic
pipe for low pressure steam these days. There is PVC and ABS. The
ABS is better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2010 22:18, fred wrote:
In article U8j7o.72043$gM.48216@hurricane, .newman
writes

I have found these 2 fittings and I should be able to make a suitable
adapter by cutting and gluing.

http://www.pipestock.com/popup_produ...1/products_id/

1311

http://www.pipestock.com/popup_produ...6/products_id/

1345

Well spotted, that seems like a neat solution, I use solvent weld on
waste but not on supply.

Trad solution is to use brass as shower fittings are bound to get leaned
on and brass is viewed as stronger. Any overspacing is made up with
decorative collars (& silicone ;-).

Let us know how you get on re durability and leaks, it would be nice to
have a new system alternative.

I will be trying to source these 4 fittings locally this week as the
vendor shown has a minimum £20 delivery charge. I will feedback how I
get on when I have finished the job.

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Update 1/2 " BSP fitting advice needed

On 06/08/2010 21:41, .newman wrote:
I have finally given up on trying to source parts for my Grohe Neotherm
thermostatic shower and I am now in the process of replacing it.

It appears that I will need to use 1/2" BSP connectors and I have
Googled without success for the type of fitting required.

Does anyone know if I would be able to obtain a 1/2" BSP female to 1/2"
BSP male straight fitting suitable for domestic plumbing??

The nearest I could find is this fitting

http://www.kiowa.com/Products/Hydrau...c_Adaptor.html

Would this be suitable?

Regards

When the new shower was delivered I realised that I did not require to
extend the BSP fitting. What I did was grind out the surrounding wall
tiles sufficiently to allow the new fitting to screw into the existing
connector. This allowed the shower bar to be connected.
However that leaves one problem. There is now not enough room to fit
the supplied shrouds. These are meant to hide the fittings and holes. At
least the shower is now working and the holes have been plugged with
plumber's mate till I can think of a more elegant solution to the shroud
problem.

Regards