Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shelf-life of Compact Fluorescent Lamps?

At present my local Tesco is selling CFL lamps in various wattages,
including the quite bright 23W model, for 10 pence each.
Although I already have more than enough light bulbs, I can't resist buying
a few each time I visit, because "they might come in useful".

The packaging claims a predicted lifetime of 8 years in service. Anyone know
what the shelf life of cheap CFLs is? Do they suffer from leaky capacitors?
Tin whiskers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 4:10*pm, "Mr UPVC" Mr wrote:
At present my local Tesco is selling CFL lamps in various wattages,
including the quite bright 23W model, for 10 pence each.
Although I already have more than enough light bulbs, I can't resist buying
a few each time I visit, because "they might come in useful".

The packaging claims a predicted lifetime of 8 years in service. Anyone know
what the shelf life of cheap CFLs is? Do they suffer from leaky capacitors?
Tin whiskers?

only component likely to deteriorate in storage afaik is the
electrolytic. I'd expect a couple of decades shelf life easily, and
have used lytics stored for far longer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-05, Toby wrote:

I take it Tesco, or nPower get carbon credits everytime they sell one,
wich
outweighs the loss they are making on them?

Yes. They count towards the power supplier's carbin reduction. Like so
much of this, a complete scam.

--
Today is Boomtime, the 71st day of Confusion in the YOLD 3176
Open are the double doors of the horizon, unlock'd are its bolts

Don't do it...... Get a life!

Assume they will improve as technology improves.

Consider the storage space being used - consider the risk of loss if they
get crushed....

Is it worth it.

(Now screwdrivers from the local Poundshop......There's a better idea - one
in every room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John :
Now screwdrivers from the local Poundshop......There's a better idea - one
in every room.

How long before they all congregate in the kitchen?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-05, wrote:

I take it Tesco, or nPower get carbon credits everytime they sell one,
wich
outweighs the loss they are making on them?

Yes. They count towards the power supplier's carbin reduction. Like so
much of this, a complete scam.

--
Today is Boomtime, the 71st day of Confusion in the YOLD 3176
Open are the double doors of the horizon, unlock'd are its bolts

Don't do it...... Get a life!

Assume they will improve as technology improves.

Consider the storage space being used

I couldn't store them because of all the incandescents I have
squirrelled away :-)

(Now screwdrivers from the local Poundshop......There's a better idea - one
in every room.

Not worth the plastic chalk they are made of.

Dave