Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filling Round Socket Boxes

Hi all

Just thinking ahead to those fiddly jobs...
Making reasonable progress with the kitchen first fix.
Having chopped a fair number of metal boxes in, I was considering the best
(easiest) way to fill around them.
The gaps vary from 3 to 6mm - anyone got any useful suggestions/tips.
I'm thinking syringes, or maybe there's a cartridge gun product that would
be an improvement on trying to "work filler in" using a filling knife.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:17:54 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Having chopped a fair number of metal boxes in, I was considering the
best (easiest) way to fill around them.

I just use plaster or filler. I also have some bits of hardboard that
are a snug fit into the box opening so you can just splodge the stuff
on without worrying about filling up the box. Once the plaster/filler
has started to set run a knife around the edge and prise out the hard
board. An improvement would be a "screw handle" to assist removal.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the wall is solid double brick, excavate deeper and slip a piece of
marmox 6mm or similar insulation behind. That eliminates the cold
bridge caused by wiring accessories if you have a kettle nearby.

Splodge plaster around the perimeter of the hole, then insert the
backbox, let the plaster go "green" and cut off with a knife. Realise
plaster will hold a backbox vastly more rigid than a mere screw
through the rear.

You may want to run horizontal oval or conduit between any horizontal
runs where you might want another socket or wiring accessory, or
reroute cable in the future due to damage or changes. That way you can
just grind through a tile and add a backbox magically into pre-
existing conduit etc. Can be more use on bedroom walls actually where
furniture changes suddenly obscure sockets and you need to magically
insert others without redecorating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Just thinking ahead to those fiddly jobs...
Making reasonable progress with the kitchen first fix.
Having chopped a fair number of metal boxes in, I was considering the
best (easiest) way to fill around them.
The gaps vary from 3 to 6mm - anyone got any useful suggestions/tips.
I'm thinking syringes, or maybe there's a cartridge gun product that
would be an improvement on trying to "work filler in" using a filling
knife.

Ideally the gap should be larger than this - I always cut out for boxes at
least an inch larger all around to allow for a decent depth of plaster /
filler / whatever.....it's like hairline cracks in a ceiling, a slither of
filler doesn't work, it needs to be raked out to give a decent depth and
width.

Personally I'd use a clean scraper and some skimming if you have any to
hand, if not, all purpose filler

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:

Splodge plaster around the perimeter of the hole, then insert the
backbox, let the plaster go "green" and cut off with a knife. Realise
plaster will hold a backbox vastly more rigid than a mere screw
through the rear.

Is the best way to do it. I still screw the back box in as well.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2010 17:14, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:

Splodge plaster around the perimeter of the hole, then insert the
backbox, let the plaster go "green" and cut off with a knife. Realise
plaster will hold a backbox vastly more rigid than a mere screw
through the rear.

Is the best way to do it. I still screw the back box in as well.

I usually put the screw in when the plaster has gone off. It means
chopping the top off a rawlplug to get it through the hole but at least
you know the box isn't going to move as you're drilling