Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Summerhouse roof

Son's new garden has a really lovely summerhouse with three triangular
roof panels at each end and front and back squarish panels between them.

The roof panels are made of quite posh tongue and groove and between
each panel there is a decorative vertical piece of sculpted wood making
an attractive and strong looking structure.

Inside, there is power and light, all looking very professional in pyro.
The roof has no felt or anything and the whole wooden structure has been
paonyed at some time with what looks like one of the water based garden
shed paints - the type the peels off everywhere I've used it. There have
been roof leaks in the recent massive rainfall.

Because of the roof structure and decorative nature, anything like felt
would be very difficult, so we were wondering about some sort of heavy
duty flexible paint to slop on and hope it would run into the cracks and
gaps and seal the roof. It would need to be a more appropriate colour
than black or whit and access to the front is OK, but the back is more
of a problem because of trees and a wall.

What paint or any better ideas?
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On 31 July, 17:33, Bill wrote:
Because of the roof structure and decorative nature, anything like felt
would be very difficult, so we were wondering about some sort of heavy
duty flexible paint to slop on and hope it would run into the cracks and
gaps and seal the roof. It would need to be a more appropriate colour
than black or whit and access to the front is OK, but the back is more
of a problem because of trees and a wall.

What paint or any better ideas?
--
Bill

Silicone sealant?

It looks as though the previous owner has tried this, but it looks
impractical to apply. At the joints between the roof panels, there are
all the other structural bits of wood. The water gets in and drips out
somewhere else inside, of course

I've found a picture of a similar one at
http://www.summergardensummerhouses....uses-oct/garde
n-summerhouses-8009860.html
if it comes out.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message
,
harry writes
On 31 July, 17:33, Bill wrote:
[...]

OK, try
http://tinyurl.com/39k5la6

and see the second of the close up photos from the box at the bottom of
the page to see the roof.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

OK, try http://tinyurl.com/39k5la6

and see the second of the close up photos from the box at the bottom of
the page to see the roof.

For anyone that CBA to navigate the site, I presume you mean this one?

http://www.summergardensummerhouses.co.uk/images/accessories/0-GAZEBOS-SLATTED-ROOF-OCTAGONAL/a0_0-GAZEBOS-SLATTED-ROOF-OCTAGONAL.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Bill wrote:

OK, try http://tinyurl.com/39k5la6

and see the second of the close up photos from the box at the bottom of
the page to see the roof.

For anyone that CBA to navigate the site, I presume you mean this one?

http://www.summergardensummerhouses....ies/0-GAZEBOS-
SLATTED-ROOF-OCTAGONAL/a0_0-GAZEBOS-SLATTED-ROOF-OCTAGONAL.jpg

Yes, that's the one. I really must learn how to post a long url like
that. I altered the formatting to take in the whole url on my earlier
post, but it still came out chopped.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

I really must learn how to post a long url like
that. I altered the formatting to take in the whole url on my earlier
post, but it still came out chopped.

Probably works for me because I allow Thunderbird to post using
"format=flowed" text, some people object to it, but has its advantages
such as not knackering long URLs and seems not to break anything to
horrendously ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2010 19:44, Bill wrote:
In message , Andy
Burns writes
Bill wrote:

OK, try http://tinyurl.com/39k5la6

and see the second of the close up photos from the box at the bottom of
the page to see the roof.

For anyone that CBA to navigate the site, I presume you mean this one?

http://www.summergardensummerhouses....ies/0-GAZEBOS-
SLATTED-ROOF-OCTAGONAL/a0_0-GAZEBOS-SLATTED-ROOF-OCTAGONAL.jpg

Yes, that's the one. I really must learn how to post a long url like
that. I altered the formatting to take in the whole url on my earlier
post, but it still came out chopped.

Try putting the url inside here

http://www.summergardensummerhouses.co.uk/products/summerhouses-oct/garden-summerhouses-8009860.html

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Camdor wrote:

Try putting the url inside here

inside here is sufficient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't the basic problem going to be movement of the wood with temperature
and humidity? OK it *looks* very nice, but I don't think I would try to make
a roof like that. Cedar shingles as used in North America work because they
have a big overlap, like slates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , newshound
writes
Isn't the basic problem going to be movement of the wood with
temperature and humidity? OK it *looks* very nice, but I don't think I
would try to make a roof like that. Cedar shingles as used in North
America work because they have a big overlap, like slates.

Yes, that's exactly why there is a problem. That and the fact that there
are occasional tiny little gaps where you can see daylight through. But
most of the water comes through down the joint between the roof pieces
rather than through the tongue and groove joints.

Also, it does look nice and women are involved in the approvals process.
It's also quite mature and came with the house, and we have many
problems on many fronts. (The mower is now fine except for the front
roller, which I've brought home here to attack with a bigger hammer, and
we haven't even started on the Billy Goat hoovery thing)

My gut feeling was to try to mould covering pieces to follow the
decorative joints using fibreglass and some resin, and then perhaps some
sort of tiles over the tongue and groove areas, but this would require
skill to do well and to end up looking good. Plus a lot of time. Which
is why son and I ended up hoping that some sort of flexible when dry,
gloopy paint might do the trick.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I would have thought that decorator's caulk or mastic of a near enough
colour would do you before applying the outdoor wood treatment of your
preference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug, 00:58, Bill wrote:
In message , newshound
writes

[...]

"Gloops" are available for roof repairs. (Roof repair comound)
There are some here but many more are available.

http://www.ruberoid.co.uk/pages/rube....aspx?CatID=56

Your local builder's merchant will keep them I expect. Ring round for
prices. Do not go in person, you won't get such a good deal. (Thye
know you'll be ringing others)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , newshound
writes
[...]

I'd be tempted to investigate the possibility of removing the entire roof,
laying a false t&g roof and felting it. Then reconstruct the original roof
over the top. I have constructed similar summerhouses/gazebos and I don'
think it would be too dificult. I think applying anything on top of the
existing roof would be in danger of ruining the entire appearance of the
summerhouse.

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2010 19:44, Bill wrote:

Yes, that's the one. I really must learn how to post a long url like
that.

You could always use tinyurl http://tinyurl.com/.

http://tinyurl.com/33l4gp2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Slainte" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , newshound
writes
[...]

That's sort of the theory of bitumen coatings for old guttering and flat
roofs. But it's going to look awful and often doesn't last very long. I
suppose the "anti burglar" paint which stays wet and slippery might be an
option, but I don't know if it comes in suitable colours.

--
Bill

I'd be tempted to investigate the possibility of removing the entire roof,
laying a false t&g roof and felting it. Then reconstruct the original
roof over the top. I have constructed similar summerhouses/gazebos and I
don' think it would be too dificult. I think applying anything on top of
the existing roof would be in danger of ruining the entire appearance of
the summerhouse.

Neil

I'm with Neil, but you can bet it was designed for ease of putting up, not
for ease of taking down. Is there access from underneath? I can think of
various ways you might try to seal that side, but then you are eventually
going to get rot in the tongues and grooves and other places where water
collects.