Posted to uk.d-i-y
Slainte Slainte is offline

Default Summerhouse roof

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , newshound
writes
Isn't the basic problem going to be movement of the wood with temperature
and humidity? OK it *looks* very nice, but I don't think I would try to
make a roof like that. Cedar shingles as used in North America work
because they have a big overlap, like slates.

Yes, that's exactly why there is a problem. That and the fact that there
are occasional tiny little gaps where you can see daylight through. But
most of the water comes through down the joint between the roof pieces
rather than through the tongue and groove joints.

Also, it does look nice and women are involved in the approvals process.
It's also quite mature and came with the house, and we have many problems
on many fronts. (The mower is now fine except for the front roller, which
I've brought home here to attack with a bigger hammer, and we haven't even
started on the Billy Goat hoovery thing)

My gut feeling was to try to mould covering pieces to follow the
decorative joints using fibreglass and some resin, and then perhaps some
sort of tiles over the tongue and groove areas, but this would require
skill to do well and to end up looking good. Plus a lot of time. Which is
why son and I ended up hoping that some sort of flexible when dry, gloopy
paint might do the trick.

--
Bill

I'd be tempted to investigate the possibility of removing the entire roof,
laying a false t&g roof and felting it. Then reconstruct the original roof
over the top. I have constructed similar summerhouses/gazebos and I don'
think it would be too dificult. I think applying anything on top of the
existing roof would be in danger of ruining the entire appearance of the
summerhouse.

Neil