Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternative to Torx drivers

I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions on
the net on how to do this. Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I
haven't got.
Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 18:56, "Wesley"
wrote:
I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions on
the net on how to do this. *Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I
haven't got.
Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

Butter knife..?

Haven`t recently reponded to a survey by Focus DIY by any chance? ;-)

Torx is specifically incompatible with hex keys and a screwdriver will
mince the head, get the proper tool, or a hex drive insert bit for a
couple of quid and save having to drill a high tensile bolt out after.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 26 July, 18:56, "Wesley"
wrote:
I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions on
the net on how to do this. Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I
haven't got.
Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

Butter knife..?

Haven`t recently reponded to a survey by Focus DIY by any chance? ;-)

Torx is specifically incompatible with hex keys and a screwdriver will
mince the head, get the proper tool, or a hex drive insert bit for a
couple of quid and save having to drill a high tensile bolt out after.

Cheers
Adam

I bought one of those 'mini socket' sets on a street market., A fiver or
summat. Full set of torcs inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 18:56, "Wesley"
wrote:
I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions on
the net on how to do this. *Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I
haven't got.
Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

3.32 GBP Toolstation

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Auto.../sd3194/p32803

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions on
the net on how to do this. Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I
haven't got.
Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

No. but at torx are becoming quite common you will likely want to use the
tool again.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions on
the net on how to do this. Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I
haven't got.
Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

yes but you will bu**er up the head.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions
on the net on how to do this. Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which
I haven't got.
Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

No. but at torx are becoming quite common you will likely want to use the
tool again.

--
Michael Chare

notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public having
Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ... sometimes sold as
security Torx screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Wesley wrote:
I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions
on the net on how to do this. Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver,
which I haven't got. Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key
or a screwdriver?

Depends how tight it is. A well fitting flat blade screwdriver will
sometimes do. But T30 is quite large so probably too tight.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public
having Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ...
sometimes sold as security Torx screws.

Don't think Torx are used for security - they are excellent at holding the
screw on the tool and taking high torque.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
I need to replace the window regulator on my car and found instructions on
the net on how to do this. Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I
haven't got.
Can I use anything else instead e.g. an allen key or a screwdriver?

If you are doing the window regulator on a MK4 golf be very careful when
removing the door locking mechanism. I bought a Torx set from ebay for
around a fiver, as others have mentioned you will defiantly need it.
Good luck!

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public
having Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ...
sometimes sold as security Torx screws.

Don't think Torx are used for security - they are excellent at holding the
screw on the tool and taking high torque.

There is a security Torx I'm looking at some now!. Like Torx but with a
hole in the middle. Some might describe that as security.. Some might
not!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

having Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ...
sometimes sold as security Torx screws.

Don't think Torx are used for security - they are excellent at
holding the screw on the tool and taking high torque.

Well they are sold as security torx - but you can easily buy bits with a
hole in the middle such as http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30295
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public having
Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ... sometimes sold as
security Torx screws.

And very easily to undo :-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96872 - £4.47 for a set of 32 bits, including
Torx with centre holes.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 23:08, Mike Clarke wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:
notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public having
Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ... sometimes sold as
security Torx screws.

And very easily to undo :-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96872- £4.47 for a set of 32 bits, including
Torx with centre holes.

--
Mike Clarke

If your short of the bit , lot of times can snap the centre out of the
fastener with a screwdiver.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
Rick Hughes wrote:
notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public
having Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ...
sometimes sold as security Torx screws.

Don't think Torx are used for security - they are excellent at holding the
screw on the tool and taking high torque.

There is a security Torx I'm looking at some now!. Like Torx but with a
hole in the middle. Some might describe that as security.. Some might
not!...

Some might describe them as a PITA, Panasonic use them on their dome
cameras, I normally change them for crossheads. Not many bad guys
bother unscrewing the cameras, they just smash them.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tom"
saying something like:

I bought a Torx set from ebay for
around a fiver, as others have mentioned you will defiantly need it.

"Hey Torx, I fart in your general direction!", kind of thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public
having Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ...
sometimes sold as security Torx screws.

Don't think Torx are used for security - they are excellent at holding
the screw on the tool and taking high torque.

There is a security Torx I'm looking at some now!. Like Torx but with a
hole in the middle. Some might describe that as security.. Some might
not!...

Oh indeed. Although surely it's the driver which has the hole?

What I meant was that the original Torx weren't intended as security
devices. Unless the starter motor on my SD1 - and seats - are particularly
valuable. ;-) Just a better drive than allen at the same head size.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 18:56, "Wesley"
wrote:

Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I haven't got.

So go to the shop and buy one, then you'll have one.

They're not expensive. Treat yourself and buy a decent interchangeable
hex bit driver and set of bits. T30 is dead common, there will be one
in there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tom"
saying something like:

I bought a Torx set from ebay for
around a fiver, as others have mentioned you will defiantly need it.

"Hey Torx, I fart in your general direction!", kind of thing?

I think he meant "defiantly use it".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2010-07-26, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
notice more and more ... that manufacturers got wise to Joe public
having Torx tools and now often see Torx with a centre hole ...
sometimes sold as security Torx screws.

Don't think Torx are used for security - they are excellent at holding
the screw on the tool and taking high torque.

Torx were designed for automatic insertion machinery on robotic assembly
lines.

That was sort of my guess. No conspiracy theory here. ;-)

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Andy Dingley scribeth thus
On 26 July, 18:56, "Wesley"
wrote:

Apparently a need a T30 Torx driver, which I haven't got.

So go to the shop and buy one, then you'll have one.

They're not expensive. Treat yourself and buy a decent interchangeable
hex bit driver and set of bits. T30 is dead common, there will be one
in there.

I reckon there a lot better than Pozidrive, dunno why their not that
more used?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 July, 10:28, tony sayer wrote:

I reckon there a lot better than Pozidrive, dunno why their not that
more used?..

Worldwide, Torx are more common than Pozidrive and have been since
some time in the '90s. Most "Pozi" screws (outside Europe) are
actually Phillips, which combine the worst of Pozi features with some
of those of the cross slot, particularly their weakness when formed in
a cheesemetal screwhead.

The great advantage of Torx is their good performance when the driver
is square-on, as for automated assembly. Their weakness is their
dependency on having the driver square-on, which makes them awkward
for maintenance later. This is something that Pozi and especially the
later improved Pozi, Superdrive?, are particularly good at.

Of course either are far better than something like a Bristol spline,
which only works when screw and driver are made from the best of
materials, in perfect condition. Some far-Eastern screws (Playstation
case?) are now using "Wankel" screws with a rounded triangular socket
in their head. It's a poor design, except for its compatibility with
weak cheesemetal screwheads, as it doesn't load the corners of the
socket..

Wikipedia has had a good article recently, "List of screw drives" or
somesuch. Best read it before some wiki****wit deletes it as "not
notable" or "original research".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tom"
saying something like:

I bought a Torx set from ebay for around a fiver, as others have
mentioned you will defiantly need it.

"Hey Torx, I fart in your general direction!", kind of thing?

I think he meant "defiantly use it".

That's the one, damn you auto spell check! I was definitely not defiant in
using it, as others have mentioned it has to be square on or it strips the
head then the only option is a flat head and hammer.
Tom

torx screwdrivers Stephen[_2_] UK diy 7 August 3rd 08 11:48 PM
Security Torx [email protected] UK diy 12 April 18th 05 05:10 PM
Torx screw? patrick j UK diy 5 April 17th 05 11:51 PM
Second use for Torx screwdriver? Porky Home Repair 3 March 31st 05 04:53 AM
Where to get a Torx T20 TR bit/screwdriver? John Latter UK diy 12 January 23rd 05 06:17 PM