Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black and Decker jigsaw with Superlok feature.

Anyone have any experience with this type of blade fitting?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Paste" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with this type of blade fitting?

TIA

Had a lot of experience with my last B&D jigsaw, and it was a total piece of
****e. The blade was held by a spring lock that was released by pulling up
on a black plastic bit at the front. That bit seemed to work alright. It was
just the rest of it. Since been replaced by a Bosch. Far superior machine

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 27, 12:43*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"David Paste" wrote in message

Anyone have any experience with this type of blade fitting?

TIA

Had a lot of experience with my last B&D jigsaw, and it was a total piece of
****e. The blade was held by a spring lock that was released by pulling up
on a black plastic bit at the front. That bit seemed to work alright. It was
just the rest of it. Since been replaced by a Bosch. Far superior machine

Arfa

if you're buying, be sure to get a tool with a blade guide on the sole
plate. Cheaper ones that dont restrain the blade at the sole plate are
pretty dreadful.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:43:00 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:
Had a lot of experience with my last B&D jigsaw, and it was a total
piece of ****e. The blade was held by a spring lock that was released by
pulling up on a black plastic bit at the front. That bit seemed to work
alright. It was just the rest of it.

Heh, that matches my experience 100%... blade lock good (whether they
called it Superlok or not, I don't know) but rest of tool total ****.

One oddity: blades for different applications are different depths front-
back. Fair enough. But why don't they make the back edge of the blade a
constant offset from the part which the jigsaw grips, so I don't have to
adjust the little wheel on the shoe every time I change blade type? I
never have understood that (and I don't think it's something limited to
B&D, so there must be a good reason for it)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 July, 13:45, Jules Richardson
wrote:

Heh, that matches my experience 100%... blade lock good (whether they
called it Superlok or not, I don't know) but rest of tool total ****.

One oddity: blades for different applications are different depths front-
back. Fair enough. But why don't they make the back edge of the blade a
constant offset from the part which the jigsaw grips, so I don't have to
adjust the little wheel on the shoe every time I change blade type? I
never have understood that (and I don't think it's something limited to
B&D, so there must be a good reason for it)

cheers

Jules

Well thanks to all for your replies. I acquired the jigsaw from a
friend. The tool itself seems OK - no undue vibration, a lot quieter
than my previous ancient (1970s I think) B&D jigsaw, but the Superlok
feature is an absolute disaster. It just won't hold a blade. I took it
to a B&D service centre, they looked at it, tested it, tell me it's OK
but the bloody thing just wont hold a blade through a cut! Clearly
it's an operator problem, but sod it, it's going to be replaced.
Probably with a Bosch, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Silly question I'm sure, but you are using blades with the right holder
profile ? I've seen several different shape schemes for different
manufacturers, and in the past, I've found that some of the 'universals'
that you can buy in the sheds, are not a terribly good fit. FWIW, although
the B&D machine that I had (quite an expensive variable speed job with
scroller head) was an absolute piece of **** in just about every respect,
one of the few things that I *can* say was alright about it, was the quick
release blade retaining system. I don't know about yours not holding a
blade, mine wouldn't hold a bloody line in cardboard, let alone any other
material. The Bosch that it has been recently replaced with, is an absolute
dream to use. Last weekend, I was fitting some skirting to my conservatory.
I couldn't be fagged to get the compound mitre saw out to cut the 62 deg
angles for going around the octagon shaped bit, so I just set the angle on
the Bosch, drew a straight line across the back of the board, and cut. Every
one was absolutely dead straight down the line, and had the proper angle on
it. Compared to the B&D, this machine has so far been an absolute pleasure
to use on every job I've employed it on ... d;~}

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:01:20 -0700, David Paste wrote:
Well thanks to all for your replies. I acquired the jigsaw from a
friend. The tool itself seems OK - no undue vibration, a lot quieter
than my previous ancient (1970s I think) B&D jigsaw, but the Superlok
feature is an absolute disaster. It just won't hold a blade.

I found early on that the mechanism on mine was a little goofy - push the
handle down, and it'd sometimes feel like it had reached the end of its
travel when it was actually only partway; at that point I could still
slot a blade in, and it'd grip up until I used the saw.

Caught me out a couple of times, until I learned to shove the handle down
with more force before slotting the blade in.

it's going to be replaced. Probably
with a Bosch, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

All I can say is make sure you get something with the most robust bevel
mechanism that you can get. My old B&D was great, but the cheap
replacement is ****e for that sole reason; it'd be OK otherwise (good
amounts of power, fits nicely in the hand, trigger is smooth etc.) for
the kind of duties I need (I've got other types of saw for most jobs).

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 July, 01:18, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

Silly question I'm sure, but you are using blades with the right holder
profile?

Silly questions are better than silly mistakes! This was one of the
first things I checked as I couldn't quite understand how the clamping
mechanism could exert enough force on the blade to keep it put. After
consulting with the owners manual, and the B&D internet support pages,
I decided that the clamping mechanism MUST be full of oil or
something, so perhaps this needed to be cleaned. Which I duly did.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/cf/92/66f0_1.JPG

is a photo of the beast (but mine has an orange plastic lever).
Needless to say, the effort was in vain.

[...]

Go on then... what model is it? I was in Pee & Spew this afternoon,
checking out the jigsaws - there was a Bosch model with a quick
release system that operated in a different way to the B&D system and
that seemed to be a very good option - there is a positive catch to
this, not just a wishful thinking clamp. SDS I think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It's a PST800 X-Cel, and yes, the blade clamp says SDS on it

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 July, 15:12, Jules Richardson
wrote:

Caught me out a couple of times, until I learned to shove the handle down
with more force before slotting the blade in.

Yeah, I had a good look at the mechanism, took it apart to clean it
up, took it to a service place but to no avail. Ah well.

All I can say is make sure you get something with the most robust bevel
mechanism that you can get.

Shall do, thanks. Just out of interest, what other types of saw have
you got, or are they not jigsaws?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 July, 21:06, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

It's a PST800 X-Cel, and yes, the blade clamp says SDS on it

That's the one I handled. Good to know it has a pleased owner!

Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:11:55 -0700, David Paste wrote:
All I can say is make sure you get something with the most robust bevel
mechanism that you can get.

Shall do, thanks. Just out of interest, what other types of saw have you
got, or are they not jigsaws?

No, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, plus a reciprocating saw that I
can borrow whenever needed (never quite got the tuits together to buy one
myself!). I don't find many times where one of those won't do exactly
what I need - the crappy jigsaw's now used for rough work when it just
happens to be nearest.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 July, 13:52, Jules Richardson
wrote:

No, circular saw, table saw, miter saw, plus a reciprocating saw that I
can borrow whenever needed (never quite got the tuits together to buy one
myself!). I don't find many times where one of those won't do exactly
what I need - the crappy jigsaw's now used for rough work when it just
happens to be nearest.

cheers

Jules

Ah, I see. I have to admit, the circular saw is one of the best
investments I've ever made. Knocked a sawboard together for it too.
Brilliant piece of kit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Caught me out a couple of times, until I learned to shove the handle
down with more force before slotting the blade in.

Yeah, I had a good look at the mechanism, took it apart to clean it
up, took it to a service place but to no avail. Ah well.

All I can say is make sure you get something with the most robust
bevel mechanism that you can get.

Shall do, thanks. Just out of interest, what other types of saw have
you got, or are they not jigsaws?

Makita jigsaw (its a jigsaw Jim, but not as we know it) simply
unbelieveable!
Makita Circular saw - wouldn't buy another.
Reciprocating saw el cheapo
SCMS x 2
Radial Arm Saw.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug, 10:06, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

Makita jigsaw (its a jigsaw Jim, *but not as we know it) simply
unbelieveable!

Handled one of those in B&Q too. A beefy piece of kit, but I am not
sure if the cost of it would be appropriate for a DIY type like me.
But then again, buy a quality item and it'll last...

Makita *Circular saw - wouldn't buy another.

Mine's a Bosch. It's good enough for what I do. Good enough as in I am
happy with it's performance, not the 'I accept it's limitations for
the cost of it' type happy.

SCMS x 2

What be them then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Black&Decker Rs656Pe Jigsaw problem stopped working changed fuse still not working only used three times

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...re-646135-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My 656PE was just dead too. Then I fiddled around with it and found that it works only at the max speed setting. So as I am only going to be cutting wood it is ok.. Bit disappointing as it is more than five years old but never used...

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...re-646135-.htm

Black & Decker [email protected] Home Repair 5 April 5th 08 04:38 PM
Up yours Black & Decker. ian field Electronics Repair 22 June 3rd 07 05:02 AM
Black & Decker Bilbo Baggins Woodworking 15 November 29th 05 03:12 PM
Black & Decker R. Wink Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 09:37 AM
Problem with Black & Decker jigsaw rck Home Repair 3 May 19th 04 01:33 AM