Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Default Pipework detection

I have twice made the mistake of trying to screw in a loose floorboard only
to drill into a central heating water pipe.

I am in the amrket for somehting to detect these

ANyone used this - is it reliable?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...uipment/3+in+1
+Detector/d10/sd2714/p88346
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo explained on 25/07/2010 :
I have twice made the mistake of trying to screw in a loose floorboard only
to drill into a central heating water pipe.

I am in the amrket for somehting to detect these

ANyone used this - is it reliable?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...uipment/3+in+1
+Detector/d10/sd2714/p88346

Not that one, but one similar. Yes it worked, but you need to test it
where you know there are pipes to get a good feel for its range.
Remember it will pick up every screw and nail in the floor, so you need
to trace along a pipe to make sure it is a pipe/ cable, rather than a
nail etc.. The smaller the head of a metal detector, the shorter its
penetration range.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:

I have twice made the mistake of trying to screw in a loose floorboard
only to drill into a central heating water pipe.

I am in the amrket for somehting to detect these

ANyone used this - is it reliable?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand.../sd2714/p88346

This sort of thing should do the job but I find a bradawl to be quite
effective and much cheaper. It there's a pipe in the way you'll soon feel
and hear the resistance when you push it in and you're not going to damage
a copper pipe with just hand pressure. But don't rely on this to find power
cables!

It's also an effective method of confirming that there really is a stud
behind plasterboard where you intend to put a screw. If you loose
resistance towards the end as it breaks through the back of the board you
know you've missed and small bradawl holes leave less of a scar to patch up
than full size screw holes.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo said the following on 25/07/2010 02:13:
I have twice made the mistake of trying to screw in a loose floorboard only
to drill into a central heating water pipe.

I am in the amrket for somehting to detect these

ANyone used this - is it reliable?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand.../sd2714/p88346

Hi,

Recently I got and used the following Bosch similar toy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

It needs practice and patience to understand how it works. In your case
it might help a bit more because it can identify magnetic versus
non-magnetic metals.

Cheers
C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
I have twice made the mistake of trying to screw in a loose
floorboard only to drill into a central heating water pipe.

I am in the amrket for somehting to detect these

ANyone used this - is it reliable?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...uipment/3+in+1
+Detector/d10/sd2714/p88346

I certainly wouldn't rely on a detector of any type in a commercial
situation.

The only 100% safe way IMO is to remove a few boards, mark the pipe runs on
the surface & then screw everything down.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:22:47 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

The only 100% safe way IMO is to remove a few boards, mark the pipe runs on
the surface & then screw everything down.

I did that once. The family thought I was crazy. I'm glad that I'm not
as crazy as I thought. Who knows what the next people to lift the
carpet will think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The only 100% safe way IMO is to remove a few boards, mark the pipe runs
on
the surface & then screw everything down.

I did that once. The family thought I was crazy. I'm glad that I'm not
as crazy as I thought. Who knows what the next people to lift the
carpet will think.

The builder of my house had done a similar thing - but in faint pencil.

I have gone over the lines in colour coded felt tip whenever I have had the
chance (carpet replacements).

Leak Detection [email protected] Home Repair 20 September 5th 08 08:19 PM
Fire Detection Sparks UK diy 6 April 4th 06 10:07 PM
Leak detection Charles H. Buchholtz Home Ownership 1 November 21st 04 02:21 PM
Arc Fault detection D.Frame Electronics 0 July 15th 04 02:38 AM
Steel gas pipework and new copper pipework David Hearn UK diy 5 February 5th 04 04:41 PM